[SOLVED] What power supply should I be getting?

Chibisk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Hello! So I've found out my power supply likely died on me and I need to get a new one. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core Black Edition
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 3gb (forgot the manufacturer)
RAM: G. Skill Rip Jaws 2 x 4gb DDR3/4 (I forgot lol)= 8gb total
Disk space: Samsung Evo 860 500gb and another 120gb SSD
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Mid Tower Case

I've gone on pcpartpicker to get some estimates and another PSU calculator and it sounds like 500W should suffice but am also unsure if I need more since some YouTube videos say you only want the PSU at 50% load. Currently looking at the be quiet! Pure Power 11 80+ Gold which goes for $70 which doesn't sound too bad. Try to stay as cheap ( $60-$80) as I can but not going to be stingy and am willing to go up to $100. Would 500W be enough and is the Pure Power 11 compatible with my other parts? Any suggestions and recommendations would be helpful! Thank you!

Solution
You could probably go for a quality 650 or similar and use it across builds when you upgrade. Higher wattage gives you more flexibility without having to power budget your future choices.
some YouTube videos say you only want the PSU at 50% load.
The efficiency curve has generally been the greatest around those figures although modern psu designs only vary a percent or two up to like 90% load. I wouldn’t base my entire purchase off of that.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
You could probably go for a quality 650 or similar and use it across builds when you upgrade. Higher wattage gives you more flexibility without having to power budget your future choices.
some YouTube videos say you only want the PSU at 50% load.
The efficiency curve has generally been the greatest around those figures although modern psu designs only vary a percent or two up to like 90% load. I wouldn’t base my entire purchase off of that.

Solution