nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Hey everyone, I just got into PC Flipping and since it's my first time, I didn't really know much about pricing. I've contacted someone that's been flipping PC's for quite some time now and I gave him some specs of what I was gonna pick up used. He told me that, it should be sold at around $600-$700 (Canadian Dollars). He has a similar PC for only like $450, and I asked him why $600-$700, when someone could be going for that $450 one. Since I was trying to go for a Gamer Style PC with the RGB Bling, he said that at the price point I gave you, would be a good starting point if you are building the PC for looks+performance. He told me that, though you could get the same for PC for a much cheaper price, the current stage of the generation is RGB. If the computer looks good, it'll attract people to buy it. If you went more on ONLY the Performance and not the Looks, there would be less people trying to buy it because it just looks like a plain old Dell Desktop with a slapped on GTX sticker. I already gathered up the parts, but i'm still thinking about the price. I know I should be selling it for $700, but everytime I looked at someones elses PC that has the same specs for a lower price (With obviously no RGB Bling, and fancy cases). It just feels like somethings wrong, or it might just be my brain. If you were me how much would you sell this PC for? Of course, in Canadian Dollars.

Specs:

i7 2600 (Stock)
ASUS P8P67 Pro REV 3.1
RX 570 Nitro+ 4 GB
16 GB's (4x4) of (something speed, I got the parts but tested in a testbench but forgot to check it's speed)
500w DA500 PSU 80+ Bronze
120 GB Intel SSD (Boot)
500 GB Samsung Pro SSD
4x Deepcool CF ARGB Fans
Deepcool Matrexx 50 Tempered Glass

(I wish for a profit of $200) (Minimum profit is $100)

DSzymborski

Titan
I sure as sugar wouldn't advise anyone buy these used parts, many of which are nearly a decade old, for $700, even in Canadian dollars. Maybe $350-$400 if Windows 10 is legit. But if anyone who knows what they're doing is interested, they'll will likely want another $50 off the top to take into consideration that the first obvious thing to do is put in a PC that isn't an ancient group-regulated Deepcool with third-tier capacitors.

RGB isn't anything special in 2019. Even the cheapest bargain PCs can crap out RGB. Some of the junkiest power supplies around have fancy RGB. It's really hard to wow somebody by just throwing some RGB in an old build.

My guess is that the person you talked to is either full of it or is going all-in on exploiting people who don't know any better, which isn't something I would ever set prices based on.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Well, um. What should I do now? I spent $500 for all the stuff and now I have to just somehow make that money back? Should I just sell it for $550 CAD? Cuz, if no one ends up buying my PC then I lost money. From my own personal piggy bank.

I wanted to sell it at $600, but my parents and some other people told me to try $700, and if no one wants to buy it, lower the price.

USAFRet

Titan
What should you do now?
Take this as a learning opportunity.

You should try to sell it, for whatever price someone will give you for it.
If your personal piggy bank suffers...well, that the cost of doing business sometimes.

Next time, ask around a bit more, and don't trust your buddy quite so much.

Reactions: WildCard999

USAFRet

Titan
Selling PC's like this and hoping to make a profit is a losing game.

Convince me why I should buy a PC from you. What do you bring to the table that I can't get from Amazon/Dell/BestBuy/Asus/etc/etc.

Why should I buy a PC from you?
From your current collection of parts, I'm not seeing it.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I don't really know which is a bad sign.

Also, are you talking in like Canadian Dollars or American Dollars? If it's USD, then of course I know it's not a good offer. If I was selling the PC for $700 Canadian then that would be $530.24 for American. If you are talking about Canadian Dollars then....

USAFRet

Titan
Bottom line, this is a very mismatched collection.

CPU - 9 years old
GPU - 1 year old
PSU - Junk
RGB - whoopdiedo
Random assembly by a no name person who selected this pile of junk - minus $75.

Does this come with a valid Windows 10 license? (minus $100 or so if not)

You will be lucky to break even on that system, and that would require a buyer who does not know what they are getting.
In this day and age, with the wide availability of systems from major box stores as well as the ease of building systems on your own, there is no profit to be made.

Why buy a PC assembled by "some guy" made with old, outdated, and low quality components, with no warranty, no support, and no returns when you can get a new PC from a store, with warranty, and returns, for the same price?

You cant really up charge PCs anymore. Unless you offer some unique aspect (say, custom acrylic designs and wrapped cases), there is no market.
15-20 years ago Im sure you could have made money doing this. Not anymore.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Well, I mean I already know this is my first and last time doing this. But, I just looked at what the people are selling on Kijiji and Ebay, and they are selling them for like $650+. Like, that friend of mine actually sold a lot of his computers for like the price of ($450 to $800). 33 PC's a Year on Kijiji. So, if I was able to find some to actually buy the PC then good. That's it, i'm done and i'm never doing it again. I'll try my best to convince someone to buy it, (show some fancy benchmarks and important info, etc.).

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Bottom line, this is a very mismatched collection.

CPU - 9 years old
GPU - 1 year old
PSU - Junk
RGB - whoopdiedo
Random assembly by a no name person who selected this pile of junk - minus $75.

Does this come with a valid Windows 10 license? (minus $100 or so if not)
Yes it does come with a VALID Windows 10 Pro License, and also I know the CPU is a dookie 9 Year old thingy but I mean come on I gotta give this give this guy credit for giving me a free 27 inch 1440p monitor. (Also, yes I forgot to mention. The monitor is included, so is the mouse and keyboard)

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes it does come with a VALID Windows 10 Pro License, and also I know the CPU is a dookie 9-year-old thingy but I mean come on I gotta give this give this guy credit for giving me a free 27 inch 1440p monitor. (Also, yes I forgot to mention. The monitor is included, so is the mouse and keyboard)

A VALID Windows 10 Pro license that currently costs around $140 in Canada? Or a "valid" Windows 10 Pro license that's some key you bought off a gray market site for $15? If the latter, prepare for a very angry buyer at some point down the road when Microsoft blacklists the dodgy key you foisted upon them.

Exactly what is this 1440p monitor you're throwing in? This is the first time you've mentioned it at all. If it's legitimate, that improves your chance of getting a little bit of money back.

"Flipping" something generally involves the person doing the flipping adding significant value between buying and selling. What did you add of significant value to a buyer that they are willing to pay the difference between your cost and what you're asking? Tough question, I know, but it's better to learn an unpleasant lesson now than a more expensive one later.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
A VALID Windows 10 Pro license that currently costs around $140 in Canada? Or a "valid" Windows 10 Pro license that's some key you bought off a gray market site for $15? If the latter, prepare for a very angry buyer at some point down the road when Microsoft blacklists the dodgy key you foisted upon them.

Exactly what is this 1440p monitor you're throwing in? This is the first time you've mentioned it at all. If it's legitimate, that improves your chance of getting a little bit of money back.

"Flipping" something generally involves the person doing the flipping adding significant value between buying and selling. What did you add of significant value to a buyer that they are willing to pay the difference between your cost and what you're asking? Tough question, I know, but it's better to learn an unpleasant lesson now than a more expensive one later.

It’s a Dell U2711 27-inch 1440p monitor.

The key is the ones from the sketchy websites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
So call it an extra $150 for the used monitor and minus $100 for the sketchy Windows.

I'd try to get $500 CDN for it. You can, of course, try to sell it at any price you want, but if it were my item to sell, I'd have serious ethical issues selling it for more than that.

I understand why it should be $500, but I’m still going to end up selling it around $650 because in the area I’m at, GTX 970 builds and RX 570 builds are usually around $650 with similar specs. Unless its the ones that are made for the best value (the workstation pc’s with a upgrade graphics card) next time, I’d consider buying a workstation because it wouldn’t be that pricy and I would be able to sell it for around $350, if I was able to pick up a good workstation deal. This will be my first and last time going with a part by part PC Flip. First time, no experience. Learned my lesson.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Keep in mind as well, that, compared to someone buying something new for around the same price, your used parts do not provide any warranty to a buyer even if they were recent used parts, which they are not.

I understand the warranty part, but if it’s comparing performance and their budget, my PC could beat a OEM $1000 Gaming desktop, which most likely has either a GTX 1650 or a GTX 1050, the RX 570 dominated both of them, and the RAM is usually just 8 GB single channel RAM. With no SSD at all, power supplies can be those generic 400w PSU’s.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can't speak for all OEMs, but Dell's generic 460W PSUs, for example, are actually surprisingly sturdy units.

I just mean to point out that a warranty is pretty significant. If something goes wrong, someone else has to cover it. Whereas with you selling used equipment, it's more of a gamble.

Some people are not that risk-averse, but, likewise, they'll expect to pay significantly less. Also, it's worth noting that you can typically get more for selling used parts individually than as a complete system.... within reason - selling very old parts is very unlikely for anything more than deeply discounted prices.

DSzymborski

Titan
I understand the warranty part, but if it’s comparing performance and their budget, my PC could beat a OEM $1000 Gaming desktop, which most likely has either a GTX 1650 or a GTX 1050, the RX 570 dominated both of them, and the RAM is usually just 8 GB single channel RAM. With no SSD at all, power supplies can be those generic 400w PSU’s.

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-computer-...ala111/p/N82E16883102722?Item=N82E16883102722

$730 CDN, Ryzen 2600, GTX 1060. Only 8 GB of RAM, but that's a simple upgrade. And these are new parts with warranty. Just something being used knocks a 1/3 of the price right there and then and that's for desired parts.

And the $1000 PCs safely beat yours as well.

And here's the problem. Yes, those prebuilts frequently have low-quality PSUs. So does yours. You're not offering a EVGA G2 or SeaSonic Focus in your build, you slapped in an old Deep Cool, group-regulated PSU that's 15 years old in design with third-tier capacitors. A lot of OEM PSUs are built by Delta and FSP and would actually be preferred over this one.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd hate to see you ripping someone off.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
https://www.newegg.ca/abs-computer-...ala111/p/N82E16883102722?Item=N82E16883102722

$730 CDN, Ryzen 2600, GTX 1060. Only 8 GB of RAM, but that's a simple upgrade. And these are new parts with warranty. Just something being used knocks a 1/3 of the price right there and then and that's for desired parts.

And the $1000 PCs safely beat yours as well.

And here's the problem. Yes, those prebuilts frequently have low-quality PSUs. So does yours. You're not offering a EVGA G2 or SeaSonic Focus in your build, you slapped in an old Deep Cool, group-regulated PSU that's 15 years old in design with third-tier capacitors. A lot of OEM PSUs are built by Delta and FSP and would actually be preferred over this one.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd hate to see you ripping someone off.

Ah, what if I went with a much better power supply? (Since I was going to sell the PC originally for 600, I went with the el cheapo PSU), but now that I’m selling it for 650, I have some more room for better stuff. My idea is that if this computer never gets bought then I’ll just sell it as a part bundle. Also, that PC you linked is on a sale. The original price is $1000+.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah, what if I went with a much better power supply? (Since I was going to sell the PC originally for 600, I went with the el cheapo PSU), but now that I’m selling it for 650, I have some more room for better stuff. My idea is that if this computer never gets bought then I’ll just sell it as a part bundle. Also, that PC you linked is on a sale. The original price is $1000+.
The pricier the parts you put in, the more you'll have to raise the price. You're still talking about a CPU and motherboard that dates back about 8 years, and DDR3 RAM that hasn't been used since the Haswell era Intel processors.
that PC you linked is on a sale. The original price is $1000+.
So? It doesn't matter - what matters is that a much more modern system, with full warranty, is available for very little more than the outdated system that you're offering, without warranty. It's on sale, but someone can actually buy it. Why would they buy your system?

I mean, you are free to try and do whatever you want - but you asked a question here, and you're being given answers, and being given explicit reasons WHY those answers are given to you. It seems like you're fighting to convince us that what you want to be correct should be correct..... but it's the reality of what you're selling that's the issue.

The only way you're going to profit off of that system is if you con someone. If that's what you want to do, then we're not going to help you do that. We're just telling you the reality of the value of your system vs your asking price.

DSzymborski

Titan

Something is always on sale somewhere.

TRENDING THREADS