[SOLVED] What processor is best? And can I use it at higher speeds?

sirelaskyx

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
I currently have a MSi Z270 SLi Plus motherboard with a i7 6700 CPU (which previous owner used for mining).
I'm looking to upgrade processors as I've almost got my ultimate PC :)
This is what I'm looking at, but I cant decide? My friends tell me an i9 is a dumb choice but I figure if i get an i7 9700k or 8700k for 400 dollars I might as well just get the i9 for another hundred since its better...

i9-9900K
i7-9700K
i5-9600K (what friends tell me to get)

What would be a good choice? I want a solid, fast processor. I play a lot of high end graphic-wise games and render videos and such in premire pro... which I notice moves my CPU speed to 100% when encoding a video, and I want to get a VR headset soon. But I also saw that a MSi Z370 mobo would only be good for an i9 at stock speed? is this true, or would i be able to increase the speed with my Z270?

Solution
You need a z370 (with the proper updates made on bios before you get it) or a z390 for the last Intel series. And if you work and also game, get the 9900k obviously. 9600k is horrible for workloads but is okay for gaming.
If you can afford it and want the best, get the 9900k obviously. The 9700k is also decent just a slight worse at workloads. Best price for the buck is definitely 9700k depending on the prices in your country.
Idon't think you can overclock your i7 6700 because is a non K CPU ( you can't overclock non K cpu's). If you are in the ultimate gaming PC and render video too ,il buy 9700k , if i have the money and the pleasure to have the best on market ill buy 9900k and you need a Z390 motherboard.

Cioby

Distinguished
You need a z370 (with the proper updates made on bios before you get it) or a z390 for the last Intel series. And if you work and also game, get the 9900k obviously. 9600k is horrible for workloads but is okay for gaming.
If you can afford it and want the best, get the 9900k obviously. The 9700k is also decent just a slight worse at workloads. Best price for the buck is definitely 9700k depending on the prices in your country.

Solution