Question What processor is best for gaming and overclocking ? Price no issue

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Guys I am going to upgrade my i7 6700k and pc In preparation for the upcoming rtx 3080 series .

I want you all to know that the cost isn’t an issue . I have been an intel user for years but recently the performance of AMD processors and reviews has left me wondering ? . I want to know which processor I should go for overall for gaming and overclocking ?

strictly gaming is all I do and I don’t stream or multitask either .

please ? Thank you .

The best thing you should do is wait for the RTX 3xxx series to actually come out so we see how it runs.
Upgrading now in preparation is going to be pointless, and likely cost more money in the long run.
Additionally, we will know more about Ryzen 4 then as well.

100hz or less
3440x1440
1440p
At that resolution you do want to pay more attention to your GPU but it's hard to say with only marketing BS to go on right now whether RTX3XXX will put the burden back onto the CPU at 1440p. As it is right now a Ryzen 3600 is really all you'd need, a Ryzen 3700X if you want to future proof for 8 cores/16 threads. If money really is no object just go for it all and get a 3900X, even if not needed it's not that expensive.

But by the time a 3080 hits the streets we'll also have a much better idea what Zen3 will offer, possibly even some CPU's in the channel. It's really much better to wait for the whole picture to resolve than try to out guess the marketeers.

Last edited:
since he can... why not 9900K? its still a bit faster and a bit more energy efficient, while the 3900x has more cores, when it comes to the point where 8/16 is not adequate anymore, you'd have already swapped your CPU because of sheer raw performance and not cuz of MT

Last edited: