What processor should I go for?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I am planning on changing my processor. I mostly use the pc for gaming. I mostly play total war as well as dragon age origins (I have pre-ordered Dragon age 2) and Assassin's creed 2 to give some examples.
I have a amd phenom 9500 quad core. I am not sure what I should get. Should I get another amd or switch to intel? Intel would mean getting a new mobo which would increase the price. The mobo that I have now is a M2N68-LA-(Narra3). I am willing to spend €150 or maybe €200 (this is the max, I would be happy to spend less).
I was looking at the amd phenom x2 555 3.2Ghz Black Edition and trying to unlock the other cores. Would it be worth the risk for €81?
I am also not sure if I should upgrade my psu. I have a 400W Corsair but it is recommended to have at least 450W for my hd 4850. When I play more demanding games (especially Empire and Napoleon Total war) I can sometimes hear a fan going on louder and I get a blank screen. It started when I put my psu and graphics card in. It could be a lack of power or just that the psu is the wrong type to have. I am willing to get a new psu. Any ideas? The price in the psu would not be part of the budget which I have given.

suteck

Distinguished
Here is a link to a thread in the asus forum for maybe an answer to one of your questions.
Posted:1/18/2011 4:40:00 AM # 4
With M2N68-LA Narra3 (please note that there are also other M2N68-LA revisions), 95W Phenom II X4 945 definitely works: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1601329 BIOS 5.13 recognizes this CPU as "AMD Processor model unknown", but it still works correctly @ 3.0 GHz. If you are planning to update, make sure you buy the 95W model (HDX945WFK4DGI or HDX945WFK4DGM) as there is also a 125W model of the same CPU available (HDX945FBK4DGI) and it will not work. I am pretty sure that any Phenom II with four or less cores works with this board, as long as its TDP is 95W or less. It would be very interesting to know whether the 95W hexa-core models (Phenom II X6 1065T being the fastest 95W model at the moment, 6x 2.9 GHz) work. However, there would probably be no Turbo Core functionality and the top 95W models are very hard to obtain, so I settled for the fastest 95W quad-core I could find.
from the last poster. Yo can get it here for only $156, just for comparisons sake.

As for the psu, I would go up a few more watts. Normally you don't want to be more than 80% of the total wattage. If the 4850 recommends minimum 450w and you don't have that it does explain why your screen is going black. Upgrade the psu also.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
For about how long can I expect this processor to work for games? I don't want to buy a new processor and it to be out of date quickly.

As for the psu I suppose that 500/550W would do the job fine. Could somebody give me an idea of a model that would be reliable but that is not too expensive?

suteck

Distinguished
HERE'S a good one - Thermaltake W0330RUC Purepower 550W Power Supply and is only $6 shipping.

Or this OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ500SXS2 500W ATX12V v2.2/ EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply for only $35 after MIR.

As for the life expectancy of the processor - with games it's still has some life in it. Games are just starting to use the 4 cores and it's a 3.0GHz processor so that's also still close to the fastest non-overclocked cpu's.

Normally at this point I would say you should go ahead and get the new sandybridges that have recently come out cause for the money you really can't beat 'em. But with the recall if you want to keep that option in mind then you're gonna have to wait a bit until Intel gets it straightened out. But even then you're talking roughly $600/$700, and that's for cpu, mem, mobo. And of course that's also some of the better equipment at this point, not the budget.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I am in Ireland. Newegg don't seem to ship to Ireland. Do Provantage? If not are there any sites that stock the amd phenom ii x2 945 and ship to Ireland while not being expensive? (It is nearly twice the price on amazon.co.uk)

suteck

Distinguished
Here are some UK sites that I found. Maybe the shipping won't be so bad. WHAT ABOUT HERE? Or WHAT ABOUT HERE?? I hope these are the right areas for your shipping. You will have to follow up on that part. Usually if you start the buying process and put it in a basket you get the option to check shipping.

double_d1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

I'm also looking to upgrade my processor, right now I have an Intel E8400. I not to sure about the Sandy Bridge chips. An i7 for sure. Don't know a thing about AMD chips. Anyways I have two XFX Radeon HD4850's powered up with a Corsair HX650W modular PSU. It's the nicest power supply I ever had, damn near silent and runs about lukewarm. Plenty of power, sure it would put out more than that if it had to. Bought it from Newegg for $130.00 US. You could look around and probably find it cheaper than that. I've had it for a year now and it works great, love the modular wiring. A little pricey but definitely worth it. I'm going to look into the AMD processors, never had one but I'm curious. Also the Corsair is guaranteed for seven years. 400 watts doesn't leave any leeway for upgrade, just not enough juice for your hd4850 as everything else is gobbling up electricity too. Good luck and happy gaming, those 4850's are a lot of bang for the buck. That was a year ago when I bought my first one. Crossfire develops a lot of heat, not sure what's to hot. Actually one faster or bigger card for about $250.00 to $300.00 would be better than two cards. I just couldn't afford the bigger card at one time. Not sure how many dollars equal a euro.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
It seems that Provantage do ship to Ireland. It will cost about €25 ($35) for the postage. The ebay one will cost €200 (€300) with postage while the other one might cost even more.

There is one problem with Provantage, it is a special order (they will order it directly off amd when you order it). They said to check if it has been discontinued but I have not seen if it is or not on the amd site.

Also what is the difference between the HDX945WFK4DGI and HDX945WFK4DGM?

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

The processor that you are picking is a already outdated. If you want to go cheap get a phenom II X 4 3.0 and get a cpu cooler and overclocked that thing as far as it will go as long as it is stable. Also you need to upgrade your video card cuz that thing is old. If I were you I would get a new video card to go along with you build. Try the 6870, @ about $230 is cheap and it packs a punch.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
In my last message I meant to ask how I can be sure that the processor is not discontinued.

What cpu cooler should I get.

Is it possible to overclock the cpu a lot with a hp computer as that is what mine was when I bought it?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Would that processor be more powerful than the 4 core 945?

Newegg don't ship to Ireland. I found it for $125 (€90) with postage i.e. $70 (€50) cheaper than the 945.

If the psu is fine for the card then why do I get the blank screen?

Would my psu be good for the new processor?

Also if I would want to overclock the processor (945) would my mobo be good enough?

suteck

Distinguished
The difference in the HDX945WFK4DGI and the HDX945WFK4DGM is the GI is a C2 stepping and can go up to 1.425v @ 71*C for overclocking. The GM is a C3 stepping and only goes to 1.4v and 70*C for a slightly less overclock. Also, over here the difference in price is about $60 more for the GI. They are both on the dragon platform and both have the Deneb core so the only difference is probably overclocking ability, and price.

As for that processor being already outdated?? Don't know about that because it has the 4 cores, and clocks well at 3.0 GHz with the 6MB of cach so while it's not one of the newest chips out there it still has plenty of life in it.

dadiggle suggested the Athlon II X3 455 - ADX455WFK32GM. That's also a good chip and was actually only released in Dec. 2010. The GHz speed is faster but it only has the three cores. So mostly you will want to look at what runs your games better. If they take advantage of the quad core or mainly need the extra speed? More powerful?? It's faster by 300MHz and has a faster 4,000 MHz fsb compared to the 3,000MHz on the X4. But powerful usually means able to do more so if your applications are multithreaded demanding then the X4 is more powerful. That should be one of the deciding factors. Also, the Athlon looks to be only $80 here compared to the much more expensive ones I'm showing you. And you will probably want to check to make sure this cpu is on the compatibility list. It probably is but I wouldn't spend my money until I checked.

I looked up both of the X4 processors on amd's web site and they don't say anything about them being discontinued. See - HERE - & - HERE

And I still recommend a higher wattage PSU than the 400w you have. Try the psu calculators found HERE - & - HERE Check those and see if you can find some more and let them run the calculations. Especially if you're planning on overclocking. Main thing to watch for in overclocking is cooling. You will need to have better cooling for the cpu, motherboard chips and the memory as well as you video card. So when you start overclocking make sure you have air flow, air flow, air flow and monitor those temps.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I am looking at a deal in which you get an AMD 955 3.2GHz processor, an Asus M4A77T and 4Gb of DDR3 (2GBx2) RAM for €250 ($340) (I found the same items for $30 less in the US but the postage would be more) which I think that I could afford. It may be cheaper in the US but if there is a problem I would normally have to pay for the postage if I would order from the US.

The more that I think about it the more I think that I should get a new mobo as I will not be able to overclock with the old one and I seem pretty limited wit what processor I can get. Also if I get a new mobo I would need new RAM as I have DDR2 and it is hard to find a mobo that it compatible with it. Also DDR3 would speed up my pc. That is why I am considering this offer. Would this be a good offer?

Apart from that I need a new PSU as the links seem to say that I need more power and while I play some games (mostly racing games) the screen freezes for a few seconds. I was told that this is because of the PSU.

suteck

Distinguished
Looks pretty good, I'm not sure how much the ram is but I'm looking at $220 for the cpu and mobo over here. What exactly is the memory? G-Skill, Corsair, 1600, 1800? G-Skill 1333 here is only $55 here for a total of $275 so it looks like a decent price.

If your planning on using the same video card you mentioned earlier or an upgrade than I know you will also want to upgrade your psu. I would go with at least a 500w. 550w is what I'd shoot for if you're planning on any overclocking. And make sure you stay with a solid brand and with the >80% eff.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
The RAM is 4GB (2x2GB) Patriot DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 Gamer Series (PGS34G1600ELKA). Here is the link to the offer http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-amd-ultimate-bundle--includes-m4a77t-motherboard--phenom-ii-x4-955---4gb-ddr3--2x2gb--memory--70ZM.html. The processor appears to be black edition so does that mean that I could unlock more cores?

As for the PSU I was considering 550/600W such as an OZC StealthXstream II 600W for €60 ($80). Would anybody suggest something else?

Would I also have to get a new case? The one that I have is 38.7cm by 17.5cm by 41.4cm with only one 80mm fan at the back and two vents one the side.

I was also considering to get a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler for the cpu for €18 ($25). Would it be worth it?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
After some research I think that I have made my mind up.

I will get an AMD Phenom ii x4 965 3.4GHz 8MB for €144 ($195). (+0.2GHz for €24 compared with the 955).

An Asus M4A78LT-M LE for €50 ($65).

For RAM two Kingston ValueRAM Memory 2GB 1333Mz DDR3 for a total of €36 ($50). I need DDR3 as I had DDR2 which will not be compatible with the mobo and it will be faster.

Finally I will get the OCZ StealthXstream II 600W PSU for €60 ($80). I want some extra wattage so that I can upgrade my GPU.

This adds up to a total of €290 ($390) (with another €10 postage). Does this seem like a reasonible price?

Also would anybody have any better/cheaper ideas?

suteck

Distinguished
The black edition means unlocked multiplyers for overclocking. That's a pretty good cooler. You might need to check on the height to make sure it will clear the ram heat spreaders. You might also consider a higher cfm fan for your overclocking. If you can find the coolermaster hyper 212 plus for around the same price you will come out better. It's the exact same price on newegg so you might be able to get it there too. It has the higher cfm fan and you can add a second fan in a push/pull config for excellent cooling. You're gonna need that for a cooler overclock.

If you can get a newer case that will help with air flow cause they usually are designed with cooling in mind. However, if you need to wait to save up for a great case then usually just higher cfm fans will do wonders for your current case.

Speaking of memory - I'm one of those people who like to stick to QVL's and memory configurators, (dummies lists I know). I don't see that memory listed on the asus QVL and I can't find a kingston configurator. It might work just fine. Do you have somebody to tell you they can guarantee it to work? If you want to stick with Kingston then this Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory will work just fine. It's only about $2 more around here but it's on the list so it's guaranteed to work in all four slots.

Prices look about right. A little higher than around here for the processor but everything else looks pretty close. Looks like a nice build and should be able to keep up with the current programs and games for a while. Good call with the OCZ PSU!

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I was looking at the specs from the vendor and they say that the mobo is only compatible with PC3-10600 and PC3-8500 memory http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-m4a78lt-m-le--amd-760g--am3--2ddr3--onboard-dsub--pci-ex16--raid--6-chhd-sound--matx-694D.html. The Asus site says that it is compatible with PC3-12800(O.C.). Would the PC3-12800 be compatible with the mobo?

Also does the X at the end of the manufacture number not mean that it is for intel (1.65V)? AMD seems to need 1.7V to 1.9V. The stick on the QVL's does not have the X at the end.

Would the KHX1600C9AD3K2/ (€48/$65) do otherwise? The KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX is a few euros more expensive.

I also do not seem to be able to find the stocks on the QVL's list for a decent price. Would anybody have any suggestions?

By the way I am running the pc on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I do know that I will not get the whole 4GB but I am planning on switching to 64-bit some time.

suteck

Distinguished
The processor only officially supports memory speed of 1066MHz and 1333 MHz, (PC3 8500 & PC3 10666). Anything higher than that is an overclock due to the increased voltage to the memory. Which also increases the voltage going to the memory controller in the cpu. If you download the QVL from asus for your board than anything on that list will work. Don't forget to check the dots on the end of each column to make sure that it will be supported in all slots. If it is listed on the QVL for the PC3 12800, (1600MHz) and PC3 14400, (1800MHz) then it will work on your board also. And even some of those work in all four slots.

If you want to try something other than what's on the QVL for price you can try Corsair. They have a configurator HERE that can give you some extra choices. Like the CORSAIR 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 for only $41 HERE It's a single 4 GB stick so will work without any problems. The only thing I can't guarantee is that you can use more than one of them. Because although Corsair does list it and guarantee it to work it doesn't say how many you can use. But of course they also offer 8 GB kits - 4 X 2GB - that are guaranteed to work in all slots. Like the CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 but the price is ~$100 and the speed is 1333 not the 1600 you're asking about. You can make almost any DDR3 memory work in your motherboard. Sometimes it just works and it's not listed because nobody else has tested it. Other times if you tweak the voltages and timings and stuff you can get it to work just fine. I just like the dummies' lists cause they guarantee them to work right out the box.

The 1.65v number you see means it takes that much voltage to make it run at the 1600 speed. That is the overclock speeds. Normal voltage is usually around 1.5v and when you enable XMP or profile 1 settings it automatically increases the voltages, (voltage increase will sometimes go to 1.66v and turn red and tell you it could damage your cpu but don't let it scare you), adjusts the timings and speed. And as you stated, sometimes the voltages are actually higher. If it's listed as compatible for your board - even at 1.9 volts, whether it's stock or overclock, then you shouldn't worry about it. After all, it is the mobo list of compatible memory. The biggest thing to keep an eye on is the temps. Touch your memory and make sure they are only warm and not hot. If they get hot then all you need is a memory fan. They're approx $25 and work great.

As for the X listing?? Can't help you there. I can say that your question about KHX1600C9AD3K2/ - vs - KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX, is that the number given after the / is how many GBs are in the kit. If it said KHX1600C9D3K2/2GX then it would mean 2 X 1GB for a total of 2 GB. The 4GX means 2 X 2GB for a total of 4 GB. I tried following your links but all I get is page error 404 so I can't see exactly what you are trying to show us. Hope this answers your questions.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I found the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 for €47.50 ($65) which is 2GB x2 at 1600. It is not listed on the Corsair site but the CL8 version is. Would this be a problem? The CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 is about the same price (about $1 less) if I don't get from the US. There is also no use getting more than 4GBs now as I only have a 32-bit system.

Also why are you talking about four slots as the specs seem to say that there are only two slots?

I do not know what is wrong with the link. I checked it and does not work for me but it is the exact same as the address on the site. Anyways I put the link there as on the specs it only mentioned PC3-10600 and PC3-8500 memory but not PC3-12800.

Do I need to buy paste for the CPU seperately?

Also the OCZ PSU that I mentioned has only 3 SATA leads. Could I get a splitter cable if I ever needed more?

I was looking at the list of supported CPUs for the mobo and it seems that the 965 is not on the list. Does this mean that I need to go down to the 955?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
The mobo that I was considering only accepts CPUs with 95W or less. This means that I cannot use the 965 with this mobo. I found another Asus for €10 ($14) more. It is the Asus M4N68T. This one seems to accept the 965 at 125W. With this limit could I still overclock the 965?

Also the dimensions are 30.5 cm x 20.8 cm compared to the 24.4cm x 24.4cm that I have now. I think that this means that i would also need a new case. Any suggestions?

There does not seem to be a QVL for this mobo.

What do you think of this mobo?

suteck

Distinguished
The mobo that I was considering only accepts CPUs with 95W or less. This means that I cannot use the 965 with this mobo
Correct
I found another Asus for €10 ($14) more. It is the Asus M4N68T. This one seems to accept the 965 at 125W. With this limit could I still overclock the 965?
Yes
Also the dimensions are 30.5 cm x 20.8 cm compared to the 24.4cm x 24.4cm that I have now. I think that this means that i would also need a new case
Most likely, The M4A78LT-M LE that you changed to is a micro ATX while the M4N68T is a full ATX form factor.
There does not seem to be a QVL for this mobo.
There is. If you GO HERE and put in the correct information then download either the QVL or the Motherboard Manual they both serve the same purpose. And it looks like the memory for this board will be hard to find also. Corsair nor gskill have this board in their configurators so that leaves the list.
What do you think of this mobo?
Can't tell. Every time I try to find reviews and such for it I can only find the M version. Sorry.
Thanks for the reply. I found the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 for €47.50 ($65) which is 2GB x2 at 1600. It is not listed on the Corsair site but the CL8 version is. Would this be a problem? The CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 is about the same price (about $1 less) if I don't get from the US. There is also no use getting more than 4GBs now as I only have a 32-bit system.
This mostly no longer applies since you are now looking at a different board - except the temporary 32 bit system. And the newest board support 4 slots, (I actually looked at the board this time LOL)
Also why are you talking about four slots as the specs seem to say that there are only two slots?
Funny you should ask. While I was looking at the QVL it states this on the bottom of each page -
"4 DIMM Slots
• 1 DIMM: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
• 2 DIMM: Supports 2 modules inserted into both the blue or black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration"
So I took it to mean that you had 4 slots. After reading your reply and actually looking at the board and see only 2 slots I guess it means that IF your board has 4 slots.
I put the link there as on the specs it only mentioned PC3-10600 and PC3-8500 memory but not PC3-12800.
This - The processor only officially supports memory speed of 1066MHz and 1333 MHz, (PC3 8500 & PC3 10666). Anything higher than that is an overclock due to the increased voltage to the memory. Which also increases the voltage going to the memory controller in the cpu. If you download the QVL from asus for your board than anything on that list will work. Don't forget to check the dots on the end of each column to make sure that it will be supported in all slots. If it is listed on the QVL for the PC3 12800, (1600MHz) and PC3 14400, (1800MHz) then it will work on your board also. And even some of those work in all four slots. is the explanation for that. I can't explain it other than that.
I do not know what is wrong with the link.
To get the links to work you have to highlight and copy the url of where you want to go, Then on this page, highlight any words you typed like GO HERE or whatever and then click on the link button,-in the little toolbar above where you're typing, it's the fifth one in from the left. In the popup window click on external and paste the url address you highlighted on the page where you want to go. next select something from the dropdown menu next to articles and reviews and select guide or forums or download, any of those listed. and then submit and your done. - Hope this helps. Usually trying to paste a link directly on the page doesn't work.
Do I need to buy paste for the CPU seperately?
Sometimes it comes with the cpu cooler. But I would just to be sure. If you can get the Artic Silver Ceramique you will be getting very good TIM. It's what I use.
Also the OCZ PSU that I mentioned has only 3 SATA leads. Could I get a splitter cable if I ever needed more?
If you need more than what's supplied than you will need to get adapters. 4 pin male molex to sata plugs.
I was looking at the list of supported CPUs for the mobo and it seems that the 965 is not on the list. Does this mean that I need to go down to the 955?
Yes if you stick with the M4A78LT-M LE and NO if you change to the M4N68T.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I have also been looking at Gigabyte boards as here are more of them on the site that I plan on buy from. Are Gigabyte mobos any good?

An example of a Gigabyte that I am considering is the Gigabyte AM3 AMD 740G DDR3 mATX. It is a bit smaller than the one that I have now and is €45 ($61). Is it worth considering it?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I have found 2 mobos for not too much which are compatible with the 965. They are the Asus M4A78LT-M (€54/$74) (the one that I was planning on getting has LE at the end of the code) and the Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2H (rev. 1.0) (€59/$80). What is the difference between them?

I am looking at 2 different memories for the Gigabyte board, the Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G for €19 ($26) each (I would get two) and the G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB) for €46 ($63). The G-Skill is 1600 while the Kingston is only 1333. Is G-Kill any good and is it worth spending the extra €8 ($11) for 1600?

You also seem to be able to get the same Kingston memory for the M4A78LT-M. The only problem is that is 1333. I did not not find any of the 1600 memory listed on the QVL on the sites that I want to order from.

Also both my mouse and keyboard are PS/2. Does that mean that I will not be able to use both at the same time as it seem that both mobos mentioned above have only one PS/2 port?