Question What product do i need to daisychain a wifi and ethernet connection?

Silkadin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
I'm getting lost trying to work out what I need.
I live in a long cottage with very thick solid walls that allow no wifi to pass. The broadband wall point is right at the far end on the house. I need to extent that connection to behind the TV on the opposite end of the house. And then I need it to continue out to the cabin near the house. Up until now I had daisychained old routers as repeaters. But one has stopped working properly and crashes when I try to adjust settings on it, and now the other is giving me issues with all messages instead of loading websites on phones via the wifi.
I'm fed up trying to fix it. My PC lives in the cabin so its killing me not being ableto work it out and I'm wondering what easier plug and play options there are. Mesh adaptors or something? I used to be ok at this stuff but nowadays nothing works as I'd expect.

Tried bt wall plug extenders... no luck with em. 300 yr old house, maybe that's why?

Powerline might work better than mesh if wifi is already really poor. One of the newest gen.
It will be a gamble as well. I'd plug it into a switch and then put your pc on that + an access point for wireless.
It's fairly expensive so if you can get someone to run lines for a few $100 that might be less expensive and is much better.

Nothing really beats wired or wired access points.

Silkadin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks for all the responses folks :)

I'm happy with the ethernet cables. Tho I'd prefer if I didn't need to run two from the main router as its double the clutter and the cabin one would still be going via the living room anyway.

1.Bt socket > home hub (one end of house)

2.Home hub > (?) In the living room... broadcasting wifi and hopefully some ethernet ports for my streamer n stuff

Then I have an armored ethernet cable in place that was plugged into the old router I'd used as a repeater, and runs to an ethernet socket in the cabin. I had another router used as a repeater in there so I could plug in the desktop to the hub there, and also get wifi.
So then
3. (?) From the living room > (?) In the cabin.

So what's the best product to replace (?) In the above scenario. I feel so inept when I read all the options. As soon as you leave the room the wifi signal comes from you lose it in this old cottage

Silkadin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
So from what I'm reading, a switch is what I'd need if I wanted to extend an ethernet connection from the hub. That gives me a number of lan ports in another area of the house. If I also want wifi there, I need to plug an access point into one of the switches port. Is that right? So for two additional areas to be covered I'd need two of each.

My streamer in the living room requires a wired connection as the antenna i had for it stopped working. And the replacement did no better.
I might be able to connect the PC in the cabin wirelessly, but I'd need to check that, and I worry about transfer speeds when I'm copying large files across to my nas drives which are connected to the main router in the house.

Until I'm sure of what I need, I have a new hub on the way. Hopefully all my problems are simply caused by the hub in the cabin being faulty and the new one gives me no issues in configuring it as an access point like the current one has been.
Been resetting, then trying to connect the hub via ethernet to my laptop without wifi on. Takes forever for the page to load, meanwhile the lights occasionally swap between primarily orange, but also blue and green. If I reset again sometimes I can get to the settings, but it soon crashes again and fails to load the page. After a reset, or a few hours I can get to the next step. Got through them all, but lights still change and cant get any wifi from it. Used to work fine and nothing changed till it stopped working and now after I've played around it's probably less likely to ever work lol.

Thanks again for any tips or guidance. As you can tell, I'm a bit clueless

Last edited:

Silkadin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
It's a bt home hub 5 that I reconfigured as an access point. Have one in the living room and had another running from it to the cabin. So end up with 3 wifi connections I switch between

Silkadin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
New router turned up today. No issues setting it up as an access point so old router must be screwed. Feel like smashing it up in the garden like that scene in Office Space with the fax machine lol