What program should I use for remote control?

Can someone recommend a program to use for remote control of a PC?

I've tried Microsoft's remote control through MSN messenger.
It works really good... and you don't have to install 3rd party
software.

BUT... I then had big problems using on another PC with service pack 2
on.
The ONLY way I could get the damn thing to work was by turning off the
firewall software I had.
(The SP2 firewall had to be turned off anyway... I was using Kerio
firewall.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OM

You cannot offer remote assistance to a user whose computer is running Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884910&Product=windowsxpsp2

Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/rde­sktop.htm

"When you receive an invitation from an Internet user whose
computer is behind a router or firewall, the IP sent to you is
the Private IP behind the router or firewall, so that you can't
access the computer. To fix this issue: 1) use Notepad to open
the invitation to change the Private IP to the Public IP which
may be the router or firewall's IP. 2) Use Windows Messenger
to establish the Remote Assistance session".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

OM wrote:
> Can someone recommend a program to use for remote control of a PC?
>
> I've tried Microsoft's remote control through MSN messenger.
> It works really good... and you don't have to install 3rd party
> software.
>
> BUT... I then had big problems using on another PC with service pack 2
> on.
> The ONLY way I could get the damn thing to work was by turning off the
> firewall software I had.
> (The SP2 firewall had to be turned off anyway... I was using Kerio
> firewall.)

My sugestion is to learn to use what you have.
Remote Desktop works great with SP2 and with the Windows Firewall.
(Kerio firewall too- once configured correctly.)

Depending on your hardware (network) - you may need to forward the correct
ports, etc.

As for other products - UltraVNC is really the only alternative application
I like to recommend.

--
<- Shenan ->