[SOLVED] What provider should i go for gaming - streaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Try using a different DNS server on your router, if that's configurable. If not, you can manually assign a DNS server on your PC. This really shouldn't do anything to help you because once the computer uses the dns to get the IP address, it really shouldn't matter. But it's worth a shot since it only takes a few minutes and it's free. You can use google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Your sister would also be using copper lines with BT infinity, very similar to yours. But obviously in a different direction. The cabinet may also be closer to her house as well. The engineer should be able to give you more specifics.

Maybe check outside your house where the copper lines come into the house and make sure there is no corrosion inside the box or insulation chewed by squirrels, or trees rubbed any lines etc...

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Your sister would also be using copper lines with BT infinity, very similar to yours. But obviously in a different direction. The cabinet may also be closer to her house as well. The engineer should be able to give you more specifics.

Maybe check outside your house where the copper lines come into the house and make sure there is no corrosion inside the box or insulation chewed by squirrels, or trees rubbed any lines etc...
i have checked and ours are both same area. so does that mean we run both same copper lines? Im moving to BT Infinity anyway, will that gonna change my copper lines ?

Sometime I am surprised how little people know about how this stuff actually work.

The copper lines is a piece of wire running from your house likely under ground to the ISP cabinet in your neighborhood. It might be the same type of wire but it can't actually be the same wire going to your sisters house. Changing providers does nothing to replace this wire. They are not going to dig up the street to put in a new wire for you. They will just rent the cable from your current ISP or which ever ISP actually owns the wire.

The only way the path to your house would be different by changing ISP is if they used different technology. Some lucky people have 2 or more ISP cables coming to their house. Most times 1 is a copper type phone line which it sounds like yours is. The second type of connection is coax used for cable tv. So in that case you can choose to get a signal over the coax cable or over the copper telephone wire. No way to say if one is better, the coax ones tends to have more bandwidth.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
i have no idea then what to do . Should i risk with BT or just cancel my order , before its activated i can cancel at any time . And as i mentioned, i lived in another street before and problem was the same . Is that could be because of same copper line? Or everyhouse has different copper lines ?

Last edited:

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
So even when i login into my router . There shows u all the packets send and received so im missing over 50% packets thats has been sent . SENT 44269 / 34524 Received - Sent 34,65 MB / 6,38 MB Received .. And there is other ones aswell missing alot of them

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Might just be a bad router, switching to BT may give you a better router without these problems.
so Engineer came today , he had errors to the hub (from underneath the walkway) , but no errors to my house. he said all cables are wet and gettin an extra voltage whats can cause me problems, so he managed to cleaned them and he put a new cover , the old one was leaking gettin water, then he said he gonna go to the hub to reset and check if the problem still occurs. He ringed me now said that he gets no erros anymore and should be all good, he told me to test , so i tested and still getting alot off packets missing. He told me that the Copper lines is working fine , and not much more he can do, cuz he gets no errors anymore. So what should i do now?

Last edited:
Ok, seems like your copper lines from your house to the cabinet may be corroded. Choosing any of the providers in the chart which use those copper lines will probably have issues.

Your only option is likely just Virgin Media because they use coax from the cabinet to your house.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Ok, seems like your copper lines from your house to the cabinet may be corroded. Choosing any of the providers in the chart which use those copper lines will probably have issues.

Your only option is likely just Virgin Media because they use coax from the cabinet to your house.
Engineer said he solved all errors that he was getting. What do u mean by sayin corroded?

There's really nothing else we can do for you. You have a choice to make.

1. If the engineer truly did fix the copper lines, then try another provider like BT, SKY, or Plusnet. I personally wouldn't trust a copper cable that's been sitting in water for a period of time and corroded, then "cleaned."

2. Try what you have now with talktalk and see if your lag has gone away. Don't pay attention to pingplotter, which is not a perfect tool.

3. Go with Virgin media, yes it's more expensive but it's a better and more stable service.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
There's really nothing else we can do for you. You have a choice to make.

1. If the engineer truly did fix the copper lines, then try another provider like BT, SKY, or Plusnet. I personally wouldn't trust a copper cable that's been sitting in water for a period of time and corroded, then "cleaned."

2. Try what you have now with talktalk and see if your lag has gone away. Don't pay attention to pingplotter, which is not a perfect tool.

3. Go with Virgin media, yes it's more expensive but it's a better and more stable service.
I tried gaming already , same as it was, no change at all . I guess im gonna wait and see how my BT performs , go live date is 13 of November . If its same as TalkTalk gonna cancel contract with BT , and go with Virgin Media, i know that u can cancel contract within 14 days . So have to wait now and see . Thanks for help ! Gonna let u know if anythings changed with BT or not .

Reactions: gggplaya
I tried gaming already , same as it was, no change at all . I guess im gonna wait and see how my BT performs , go live date is 13 of November . If its same as TalkTalk gonna cancel contract with BT , and go with Virgin Media, i know that u can cancel contract within 14 days . So have to wait now and see . Thanks for help ! Gonna let u know if anythings changed with BT or not .

Virgin media are absolutely untouchable on both speeds and stability.

Their fiber infrastructure is their own, no one else piggybacks off it the way they do off Bt's fiber network.

Thats why then can offer upwards of 250mbs connections when BT/Talk Talk / Plusnet etc are all limited to below 70mbs.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Virgin media are absolutely untouchable on both speeds and stability.

Their fiber infrastructure is their own, no one else piggybacks off it the way they do off Bt's fiber network.

Thats why then can offer upwards of 250mbs connections when BT/Talk Talk / Plusnet etc are all limited to below 70mbs.
yeah Virgin's looks good, but they are a bit expensive, but if BT's not gonna fix my issues, have to go with Virgin , now just have to wait .

Does this slowdown correlate with the UK's new lockdown restrictions? You now have more people at home doing teleconference, online schooling, watching videos etc... Does the lag go away in the middle of the night? If that's the case, then your internet is oversold from your cabinet, at least with talktalk. To know if the entire BT Openreach fiber pipe going to the cabinet is oversold, you'll need to switch providers to find out.

If it's still bad in the middle of the night, then the copper line is probably still bad, or the router is going out.

The only course of action right now is to change Internet providers. You'll get a new router and new virtual server in the cabinet which goes to a different upstream server at the telco.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to go with Virgin, which will bypass the copper line and they have their own fiber running to the cabinet.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Does this slowdown correlate with the UK's new lockdown restrictions? You now have more people at home doing teleconference, online schooling, watching videos etc... Does the lag go away in the middle of the night? If that's the case, then your internet is oversold from your cabinet, at least with talktalk. To know if the entire BT Openreach fiber pipe going to the cabinet is oversold, you'll need to switch providers to find out.

If it's still bad in the middle of the night, then the copper line is probably still bad, or the router is going out.

The only course of action right now is to change Internet providers. You'll get a new router and new virtual server in the cabinet which goes to a different upstream server at the telco.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to go with Virgin, which will bypass the copper line and they have their own fiber running to the cabinet.
Thanks for respond ! yesterday my ping was over 800 sometimes, and packet loss at every hop . Today is the same . cant do anything at all ! Internet is super slow . not sure about nights . Im working during day. So cant tell. Gonna see tomorrow, but sure tomorrow is saturday that makes no sense !

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
So i contacted TalkTalk yesterday to ask whats going on with internet, As i am getting over 500ms , everyday, barely loads videos on youtube, netflix is the same . Cant even watch anything. So they told me my internet is slow , because BT took over the line, thats why i am getting slow internet . But how is that the case ?

BT owns the fiber going to the cabinet, they are in charge of distribution. All these other companies, other than Virgin Media, are just resellers of BT's Fiber Network. Virgin Media also has their own fiber to the cabinet, but they are not required to resell their fiber. It's their own, and only for their customers. See the graphic below.

ximg16649.png.pagespeed.ic.xffEq9gITJ.webp

Now, what I don't know are the contract specifics of these companies. How much bandwidth each company gets. BT may have more bandwidth for their customers, or the resellers. TalkTalk may have oversold their allocated bandwidth. We don't know those specifics.

The best way to tell if TalkTalk is oversold is to try your internet in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.

The only way to know if it's just TalkTalk that oversold their bandwidth or the entire BT fiber distribution is to switch ISP's and see if the new one is better.

The only real alternative is Virgin Media which is more expensive, but will give a premium experience.

As an Aside, this is a case where Net Neutrality laws would be bad. When a network is oversold during a pandemic lockdown it would be best to throttle video streams to 1080p and try to move smaller packets for internet browsing requests and such to a higher priority. A good QOS system would be very good to have.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
BT owns the fiber going to the cabinet, they are in charge of distribution. All these other companies, other than Virgin Media, are just resellers of BT's Fiber Network. Virgin Media also has their own fiber to the cabinet, but they are not required to resell their fiber. It's their own, and only for their customers. See the graphic below.

ximg16649.png.pagespeed.ic.xffEq9gITJ.webp

Now, what I don't know are the contract specifics of these companies. How much bandwidth each company gets. BT may have more bandwidth for their customers, or the resellers. TalkTalk may have oversold their allocated bandwidth. We don't know those specifics.

The best way to tell if TalkTalk is oversold is to try your internet in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.

The only way to know if it's just TalkTalk that oversold their bandwidth or the entire BT fiber distribution is to switch ISP's and see if the new one is better.

The only real alternative is Virgin Media which is more expensive, but will give a premium experience.

As an Aside, this is a case where Net Neutrality laws would be bad. When a network is oversold during a pandemic lockdown it would be best to throttle video streams to 1080p and try to move smaller packets for internet browsing requests and such to a higher priority. A good QOS system would be very good to have.
basicly i contaced BT today and told them that i have spoken to TalkTalk, and having problems since u took over the line. They told me to wait 5 mins till they have a chat with their engineers, then they told me, that yes my internet can be slow and get very slow at some stage as they are testing my line these days and getting it ready for me, to make sure i get best speed and service as possible , and once my internet goes live i will have no problems with it . I guess thats a good thing , that they are testing it and getting ready . Hm