What PSU for 8700k+GTX 1070 Ti

badbunny01

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Hi, after frying a MSI GTX 1070 Ti with the evga 600b after 4 hours of gameplay i manage to get a new gpu from warranty, GPU worked good on the first 4 hours of life and then started artifacting to dead. Im gonna get the new GPU tomorrow.

Im gonna change the PSU, since i dont trust that cheap evga 600b PSU
Im searching for a good quality PSU, to not to have this issue again.

what PSU would you recommend ?

My system SPecs:
Core i7 8700k
Z370 Asus rog strix H
16 GB Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 MhZ
Corsair H100i v2
Samsung evo 240 GB SSD
Western Digital 240 GB SSD
Msi Gaming 8 1070 Ti

Solution

Better than what you have, but those first generation EVGA PSUs had some build quality issues. That's why you'll see recommendations for G2, G3, B2 (but not B3) every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but won't see G1/B1 included.

Given that you have high-end components and can get a top-tier PSU for under $60 from SeaSonic, I don't think even free is a good enough price for a lower-tier PSU.

DSzymborski

Titan
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-04 22:00 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-04 22:00 EDT-0400

I'd personally go for 650, but you could technically squeeze this into a 550 if you really needed to, for cost reasons.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Look for high quality 550w power supplies, with atleast a 6-pin PCIe and an 8 (6+2) pin PCIe, or two 8-pin PCIe connectors. 550w is more than enough, it could even fit a 1080ti with some overclocking.

Prices can vary depending on region, so some examples include the EVGA G3, EVGA G2, Seasonic Prime Ultra, Seasonic Focus Plus, Bitfenix Whisper, Corsair RMx

DSzymborski

Titan

Better than what you have, but those first generation EVGA PSUs had some build quality issues. That's why you'll see recommendations for G2, G3, B2 (but not B3) every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but won't see G1/B1 included.

Given that you have high-end components and can get a top-tier PSU for under $60 from SeaSonic, I don't think even free is a good enough price for a lower-tier PSU.

Solution

badbunny01

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
im in colombia its very hard to find good components at reail shops. i even had to import some parts from amazon.
but it takes 20 days to the packet to arrive colombia, i need my pc fully working for tomorrow, cant wait!!!

But if you wait you will still have a PC. ;)

Get one of them and you might not.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Don’t overrate tierlists. They can be misleading, you don’t know what makes each tier, and doesn’t include price/compatibility.
The linustechtips tier list is far better than the old tomshardware one, or any tier list out there. But still not perfect.

More watts does not mean better. You won’t have any benefits with a 750w power supply. The EVGA G1 arent good.

What retailers are you purchasing from?

DSzymborski

Titan

You could also get an EVGA GQ over a G1, even if the G2/G3 are better. It's tricky without being able to see what you're able to get; I'm looking at sites like mrpc.co and smartgamer.co, but I don't know where you're going in person!

I'm not a super fan of tier lists either (Rexper's note of warning is accurate), but they're more useful than usual in a situation like yours, with poor product availability and local stores we can't see!

badbunny01

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017

as you can see the stock is very limited, i live in the capital(bogota) i can personally go to the store, im searching for some price list on another stores but allways the same overpriced PSU (evga 750BQ, EVga Withe)

DSzymborski

Titan

Honestly, my advice to you would be to take the GPU out and run the PC on just the integrated graphics while waiting for an order to be delivered. It's the safe, prudent choice, even if it means waiting a couple weeks to play games.

But if you *must* get a PSU right now and you can't find anything better on a tier list than a G1, it's not as dangerous an option as some of the truly nasty crap out there. I personally wouldn't take this choice and swallow the bullet and take some time off playing AAA games (there are a lot of less intense games that are capable on a modern integrated GPU). In the end, it depends on your personal feelings of risk; we're just giving you our opinions!

badbunny01

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017

Found a EVGA GQ 750 W on a local store, thanks for your help.
im going with this one!