What PSU for NVIDIA GTX 1080 SLI

Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Hey guys I just built a PC (i7 6700, gtx 1080, 650w gold PSU) and I was wondering if that psu (corsair RM650x gold) would do the job with an extra 1080.

Recon that my CPU is locked, so no overclock.

Solution
When determining a PSU to purchase for a gaming rig, gaming conditions should always be taken into consideration; as long as the PSU can handle "max load" scenario, then that's all that matters, because the max load scenario doesn't really show up. The Tomshardware review for the I7-6700K shows it at about 90W under stress. This data can be found here. Gaming power consumption is more like 75W. The I7-6700 is slightly lower clocked than the 6700K, so gaming power consumption for the I7-6700 should be about 67.5W based on my head.

Aftermarket GTX 1080 cards seem to start around 180W. If you overclock, surely that can bump up. But a system with two aftermarket GTX 1080 cards, while gaming, should not really surpass 450W when...
Nvidia Recommended PSU wattage for single GTX1080 system is 500W.
The graphics card alone on full load uses 180W.
So for SLI configuration you should go with at least 700W PSU.

650W would suffice only if you don't push your system to max.
No OC of any kind or PSU failsafe mechanisms will kick in (by shutting down the system).

well if you had this 1080 card you need 16 amps pre card on the 12v+ 32amps for sli then the amps needed for thwe rest of the system at full load amps so lets say 20 for that for just example that's the at the bottom end min with 52 amps at the 12v+ [650w psu @ 54amps /12v+]

now with that you have little overhead for any mistake or any upgrade headroom for a more powerful part so I would add 10 or 20 amps overhead and go with that [a 850w psu has 71 amps [70.8] a 750w psu should have 62 amps [62.5 ] so you would be better covered for your full power needs and safe

good luck

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/24.html

thats then 34 amps for 2 cards at 214w each maybe with todays cards low power draw as that is a 850 maybe fine likr to me a 850 and sli 980ti I could 850w at a min. and would recommend a grand

thing is overkill cant hurt but under powered when its needed can 850 may do fine with 2 214w cards

just will if a true 650 with 54 amps at the 12v the non k skylake chips are lower power draw [I guess there 65w ? ] so say 5.5 amps

34 +5 + ?? [5 for what ever left ?] just at 49 amps then the 650 is just 54 not much to play with but should work - no overclocking or stressing may be fine ??

just use it and see if theres any issue or the psu gets kinda hot ?? thing is if the system pulls 59 amps and your psu is only 54 amps ???

all you can do is try it and see

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

There is a review about it here on Tom's and they even test it pulling 715watt and it holds up fine.The 650watt is continuously which means it should be able to draw that 24/7 without issue.I don't say i recommend that,but you don't game 24/7.

@Lodocarbo,
Still haven't seen info about that gtx 1080 btw ...

Lodocarbo

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016

Hi Vic, you can check out my PC validation @ http://valid.x86.fr/ir7dhw

My GTX is a Gigabyte G1 Gaming running in gaming mode (preset). I play maximum 5 hrs a day

it don't matter how long you play its just that millisecond instant like I said if you system trys to draw 50 amps and your psu can only supply 45 that's all there is to it

if you don't have the power to run it its not going to run it - why I say to figure out the total full load peak amps and add 10 or so for overhead

see just likle here and other threads your all ready doughting your psu ,right ? I go with a bit of that ''overkill '' in my psu's and I don't hqve to wonder or worry if its ''good enough '' when I add parts or upgrade if if I did I just get a better unit of higher amps

so buy a solid powerfull psu and set your mind at ease or use that 650w you got may be fine ? depends on how much stress / load on the overall system needs

so di I want a psu thats 10% + over that can supply no sweat or a unit that just covers it and may fail to do so at any time run hot what ever ??

in the end its all your call and the psu is the hart and life blood of your build and everything depends on it . so weak hart ? ok hart ? or strong no sweat got it all covered easy hart ?

good luck

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at reviews does the i7 6700 about 115watts max for a system when pushed by a program designed to stress the cpu.This is messured at the wall,efficiency still comes into play which makes it about 105watts really used.
The gpu you have is as it seems the one pictured above in a review from "TechPowerUp" that uses (maybe unfortunally) 216watts read from the pcie slot if i'm not mistaken which is what it is.
comes some adding to do : 216x2+105=441watts,you have an hdd extra which adds some extra,about 9watts which makes the total power consumption of that system about 550watts as said before,this means you should have about 100watts to spare,
I didn't include fans so these might b taken into account and that would give a little less to spare,about 5watts per fan.

This still makes me think that you have enough power for sli.Like i said did the psu still perform well at 715watts at the review made by Tom's here so some peaks are covered as well,well imo that is.

The system i mentioned is a motherboard+two sticks of ram+ssd (+dvd player).

The above question is a good one,do you really need that second gpu ... ,but as said do i still think your psu can do sli if needed.

'' i7 6700 about 115watts max for a system '' sure that was not a ''K'' chip its a lot higher then the non k as the ''K'' chip is a 95 w not 65 as the non ''k''

''do you really need that second gpu ''

reading at evga lot seem to have issue with sli and all nvidias non support or bad / dropping /driver so on should read up on some of that

http://forums.evga.com/tt.aspx?forumid=5

I did sli once and that was enough for me it wqs great when it worked or supported but in the end I found I was way better off with one single powerful card [opinion] less heat less maintaince less power draw less dust less compatibility issue less driver issues ect....

S-udden L-oss of I-ncome

thing is unless you try and see for yourself you don't know how you really look at it for ''your'' needs

When determining a PSU to purchase for a gaming rig, gaming conditions should always be taken into consideration; as long as the PSU can handle "max load" scenario, then that's all that matters, because the max load scenario doesn't really show up. The Tomshardware review for the I7-6700K shows it at about 90W under stress. This data can be found here. Gaming power consumption is more like 75W. The I7-6700 is slightly lower clocked than the 6700K, so gaming power consumption for the I7-6700 should be about 67.5W based on my head.

Aftermarket GTX 1080 cards seem to start around 180W. If you overclock, surely that can bump up. But a system with two aftermarket GTX 1080 cards, while gaming, should not really surpass 450W when gaming; it should be around 430-450W, and that also takes into account motherboard power.

180*2 = 360W (both GPUs)
<70W (CPU)
20W (mobo)

But since SLI doesn't really scale fully, both GPUs probably won't be using 180W each, which is where I get my 450W number from. Could be a bit more like 465W, depends.

Looking at power supply load tables does very little because power supply load tables themselves don't mean that much. Power supply load tables are just what they are, specs, and something like the Corsair RM650x is capable of handling greater than 800W of load perfectly fine. Outside of its load table, indeed. But that solidifies my point about load tables.

The Gigabyte G1 1080 is a 180W GPU.

Solution
you figure 65w chip is 5.5 amps a 95w chip is 8 amps see how just that k from non k adds to the total and just that could put you over the amps of a lesser psu ??

from what I showed above you now wen from 49 amps to 52 amps on the 650w psu at 54 amps .. you now cut well in any overhead you had just adding that chip over the 65w 6700

understand ?? overkill cant hurt you just can help

thing is a solid 850w psu like the evga g2 are selling so cheap thease days I see it on sale at newegg for like 99 bucks and its 71 amps

to me money well spent and got you way better covered

You are confusing gaming load with stress test load. For a CPU like the I5-6600K, gaming load is only 52W. Stress test is 73W. For an I7-6700, gaming load is about 76W, stress test is about 91W. It's the hyperthreading that makes the I7 have higher power consumption than I5 chips, in addition to increased clock rates.

Again, as to load tables, they don't really matter much other than being rated specifications. Looking at the Corsair RM650x review, 807W is how much the RM650x handled before it shut off from over power protection. A power supply doesn't "have" a certain amount of amps, it's just a hunk of metal. And no, overkill can hurt you because it hurts your wallet, offers very little benefit, and results in more waste heat and a higher energy bill.

im not confused . I know to use a psu that will do the job and got my needs well covered with ease plus any future highend upgrades

nothing confusing on that in any way dude all ways figure to the max and go higher like if you find 55 amps is needed buy a 70 amp psu case closed and done with

see I got the power to run not sitting here worrying that I may not or don't . aint that the best bet in the end ??