What PSU rating for Athlon 2400 with 6 HDDs?

Franklin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.

All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
the cpu.

Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:

+3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
+5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
+12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A

(1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
(1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
(1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
(2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.

---

Is this any good for my needs?

"Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
> What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>
> All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> the cpu.
>
> Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:

I can't comment on the power requirements, but I can say the power supply I
have is excellent. Its the Nexus NX 3000 (300W)and it really is quiet! If I
stop the other 2 fans in the system, I can only just hear it in a quiet
room! This power supply has a normal sized (80mm or 92mm?) fan and it is
quiet, so the big 120mm fan should be practically silent.

As for voltage regulation. I can't say if it is good or not (anyone
comment?), but I get the following readouts in my hardware monitor:
3.3v actually reads 3.312 or 3.328
5v actually reads 4.945
12v actually reads 12.096
-12v actually reads -12.196
-5v actually reads -5.005
5vsb actually reads 5.072 (don't know what vsb is!)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:06:35 +0100, Franklin wrote:

> What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>
> All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> the cpu.
>
> Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>
> +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
> +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
> +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
>
> (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
> (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
> (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
> (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
>
> ---
>
> Is this any good for my needs?

With 6 drives I'd go with a larger power supply, get at least a 450W
supply or even larger. An Antec 550W supply is only $108. You don't want
to waste your time hunting down system glitches because you saved 30 bucks
on a power supply.

Franklin wrote:
> What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>
> All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> the cpu.
>
> Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>
> +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
> +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
> +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
>
> (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
> (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
> (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
> (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
>
> ---
>
> Is this any good for my needs?

You really can't have too much, but you can have too little.

When it comes to power supplies, I would just get a good name - like Antec
True Power, around 430 watt to be safe.

--
Don Burnette

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
>> What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
>> with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
>> RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>>
>> All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
>> the cpu.
>>
>> Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
>> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
>> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>
> I can't comment on the power requirements, but I can say the power supply
> I have is excellent. Its the Nexus NX 3000 (300W)and it really is quiet!
> If I stop the other 2 fans in the system, I can only just hear it in a
> quiet room! This power supply has a normal sized (80mm or 92mm?) fan and
> it is quiet, so the big 120mm fan should be practically silent.
>
> As for voltage regulation. I can't say if it is good or not (anyone
> comment?), but I get the following readouts in my hardware monitor:
> 3.3v actually reads 3.312 or 3.328
> 5v actually reads 4.945
> 12v actually reads 12.096
> -12v actually reads -12.196
> -5v actually reads -5.005
> 5vsb actually reads 5.072 (don't know what vsb is!)

I should add that my NX 3000 (300w) power used to run this system without
any problems:
Athlon 2400+ (normal voltage and clocking)
2GB (3 modules) SDRAM
3 IDE hard disk drives
1 IDE DVD drive
1 SCSI cd writer
Radeon 8500 AGP card
1 wireless PCI
1 network PCI
1 sound card PCI
9 fans!! (of various sizes)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message

> > What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> > with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> > RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
> >
> > All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> > the cpu.
> >
> > Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> > http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm

Nexus is made by Fortron-Source, one of the best PSU makers in the
world, but I don't know if the 16A @ +12V is enough for all that
hardware. One person found that his XP1800+ system with five HDs
(RPM unknown) and a couple of CD drives consumed only 160W from the AC
lines, meaning that the computer was taking about 120W. And in 2002
C'T magazine measured several computers equipped with XP2400+ CPUs,
256M DDR, and GeForce3/Ti500 graphics cards and found that it took
about 9A @ +12V, 2-4A @ +5V, and 9-12A @ +3.3V.

<no_thanks@mail.com> wrote:

>What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
>with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
>RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>
>All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
>the cpu.
>
>Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
>http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
>current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>
>+3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
>+5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
>+12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
>
>(1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
>(1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
>(1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
>(2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
>
>---
>
>Is this any good for my needs?

Nexus relabels Sparkle PSU. If you can find a Sparkle (or
Fortron) 350W for lower price it would be better value.

350W is enough for your system but if motherboard uses 12V
for CPU (one sign of that would be that the board uses the
"Intel" P4 4-pin 12V connector in addition to the ATX 20 pin
connector) then it would provide more margin to choose 400W
or higher (Nexus/Sparkle/Fortron will still be a good choice
in 400W or higher).

Franklin wrote:

> What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>
> All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> the cpu.
>
> Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>
> +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
> +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
> +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
>
> (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
> (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
> (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
> (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
>
> ---
>
> Is this any good for my needs?

The six hard drives will draw about 2 A each on startup. When running
this will drop considerably. You could monitor the +12V rail during
startup, but a normal voltmeter will not respond rapidly enough. A
digital voltmeter needs about a second to compare the voltage under test
to its internal standard and produce a reading. The 16 A rating should
be ample, if it's a true rating and you don't add other things requiring
+12 V.

If it boots OK, and everything works, the supply should be fine.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> You really can't have too much, but you can have too little.
>
> When it comes to power supplies, I would just get a good name - like Antec
> True Power, around 430 watt to be safe.

Heh..
I dunno
Climb a highline pole and put a 5v light across the 15kv lines ;P

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:46:20 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
wrote:

>> You really can't have too much, but you can have too little.
>>
>> When it comes to power supplies, I would just get a good name - like Antec
>> True Power, around 430 watt to be safe.
>>

>Heh..
>I dunno
>Climb a highline pole and put a 5v light across the 15kv lines ;P

That's too much voltage. The extra power is a secondary result, of
course.

Tom

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:06:35 +0100, Franklin <no_thanks@mail.com>
wrote:

>What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
>with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
>RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.

Do what the big dogs do:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-918&depa=0

$112

The published value of 36A on the 12 V rail is
correct. It is *not* a typo on the web site.
The box and the device itself mention this value of 36A also.

the 24 pin power connector is by design
backward compatible (search for the PDF file on
the ATX specification 2.2).

The only caveat is to have some space near pin 10
of the female connector to accomodate for the not
used 4 pins of the 24 pin male connector; if this space does
not exist one has to use a 20 to 24 pin adapter cable

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/cooling/accessories/popups/index_24to20.htm

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>>Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
>>> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
>>> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>>>
>>> +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
>>> +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
>>> +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
>>>
>>> (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
>>> (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
>>> (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
>>> (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Is this any good for my needs?
>

> With 6 drives I'd go with a larger power supply, get at least a 450W
> supply or even larger. An Antec 550W supply is only $108. You don't want
> to waste your time hunting down system glitches because you saved 30 bucks
> on a power supply.

You don't want to waste $30 for nothing, either.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
> What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>
> All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> the cpu.
>
> Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>
> +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
> +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
> +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
>
> (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
> (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
> (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
> (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
>
> ---
>
> Is this any good for my needs?

Go for a cheap Sparkle / Fortron branded PSU of the region 350-450w.
My sparkle 300w has been heavily loaded over the last 3 years and still runs
cool + quiet.

Hamman

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

i know very little about pwer, but from what i know a 350w will be ok, a
decent one though, i have a cheap one and i keep getting IRQL errors, im not
sure if they are related to the PSU or memory, but someone at uni has told
me a 400w PSU is reccomended with all AMD Athlon XP's

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hmmm ... I think you should more seriously be thinking about an Antec 550
Watt True Power supply.

--
DaveW

"Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
> What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
>
> All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> the cpu.
>
> Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
>
> +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
> +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
> +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
>
> (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
> (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is 25.5A.
> (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
> (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
>
> ---
>
> Is this any good for my needs?

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:05:23 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Hmmm ... I think you should more seriously be thinking about an Antec 550
>Watt True Power supply.

With that many Hd's I'd be thinking about dedicating one good psu to
the motherboard and the optical drives/floppy and using separate
supplies for alll those Hd's.(maybe 2 drives to a psu rated at at
least 350-400 watts.)
Depends on what type of computing you'll doing and how intensive too.

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:23:10 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com>
wrote:

>>>Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.

>> With 6 drives I'd go with a larger power supply, get at least a 450W
>> supply or even larger. An Antec 550W supply is only $108. You don't want
>> to waste your time hunting down system glitches because you saved 30 bucks
>> on a power supply.
>>

>You don't want to waste $30 for nothing, either.

Yes you do. The lowest rated supply I use for Athalon systems is 400
watts, and that is only with one HD.
Anymore and I go with a 500 watt.
Believe me if you really try and do any serious computing loads with
an under rated power supply you're asking for serious migraines.

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:20:30 +0100, "Christo" <chris@juststuff.co.uk>
wrote:

>i know very little about pwer, but from what i know a 350w will be ok, a
>decent one though, i have a cheap one and i keep getting IRQL errors, im not
>sure if they are related to the PSU or memory, but someone at uni has told
>me a 400w PSU is reccomended with all AMD Athlon XP's

Correct. And that is the lowest one should use.
I do video/film editing on Athalons and anything lower than 400 will
give you constant locks and blue screens.
The inrush and overcurrent ratings are critical too.
At least 30 on the 5v and 25 on the 12v is required.
You can NEVER have to much power.
A good trick is to split the load between multiple psu, does require a
bit of moding though.

"General Schvantzkoph" <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:06:35 +0100, Franklin wrote:
>
> > What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> > with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> > RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
> >
> > All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> > the cpu.
> >
> > Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> > http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> > current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
> >
> > +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
> > +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
> > +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
> >
> > (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
> > (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is
25.5A.
> > (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
> > (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Is this any good for my needs?
>
> With 6 drives I'd go with a larger power supply, get at least a 450W
> supply or even larger. An Antec 550W supply is only $108. You don't
want
> to waste your time hunting down system glitches because you saved 30
bucks
> on a power supply.

The wattage is important, but int his case, the +12V is more important
because of the very high +12V current needed to start up the hard disks.
Someone else mentioned 2A per HDD at atartup but there are also other
+12V loads, such as the fans. So getting a PSU that has a lot higher
than usual +12V current rating is a _must_.

One other important thing. Putting 6 hard disks in a case demands that
there be a lot of air circulating around them. If you don't keep thenm
cool, then the ones closest to the middle of the stack will overheat and
die. I've seen that happen in servers. You might consider using
external HDDs if you have problems.

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Franklin wrote:
> > What rating PSU should I use on a system which has an Athlon 2400+
> > with a modest graphics card (old GeForce2 MX 32MB) and 768 MB of SD-
> > RAM. Unusually, it will have *SIX* IDE internal hard drives.
> >
> > All the rest of the system is pretty normal with no overclocking on
> > the cpu.
> >
> > Would a decent 350W PSU be enough? I am thinking of this Nexus PSU.
> > http://www.nexustek.nl/nx3500.htm The specification chart shows
> > current delivery at min load, normal load, max load:
> >
> > +3.3V 0.3A 14.0A 21.2/28A
> > +5V 1.0A 12.7A 30/25.5A
> > +12V 0.2A 4.5A 16A
> >
> > (1) +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 220Watt.
> > (1a) When +3.3V is loaded to 28A, then the +5V maximum load is
25.5A.
> > (1b) When +3.3V is loaded to 21.2A, the +5V maximum load is 30A.
> > (2) +3.3V & +5V & +12V total output not exceed 330Watt.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Is this any good for my needs?
>
> You really can't have too much, but you can have too little.

What kind of twisted logic made you come up with that statement?
Why don't you say what you _really_ mean?
"You really should buy a PSU that has too much, rather than too little
power."

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> > You really can't have too much, but you can have too little.
> >
> > When it comes to power supplies, I would just get a good name - like
Antec
> > True Power, around 430 watt to be safe.
>
> Heh..
> I dunno
> Climb a highline pole and put a 5v light across the 15kv lines ;P

Brilliant!!

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" wrote:

> "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
>
>>>You really can't have too much, but you can have too little.
>>>
>>>When it comes to power supplies, I would just get a good name - like
>
> Antec
>
>>>True Power, around 430 watt to be safe.
>>
>>Heh..
>>I dunno
>>Climb a highline pole and put a 5v light across the 15kv lines ;P
>

> Brilliant!!

Briefly

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:53:07 -0500, none
<gothika@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>> With 6 drives I'd go with a larger power supply, get at least a 450W
>>> supply or even larger. An Antec 550W supply is only $108. You don't want
>>> to waste your time hunting down system glitches because you saved 30 bucks
>>> on a power supply.
>>>

>>You don't want to waste $30 for nothing, either.
>
>Yes you do. The lowest rated supply I use for Athalon systems is 400
>watts, and that is only with one HD.
>Anymore and I go with a 500 watt.
>Believe me if you really try and do any serious computing loads with
>an under rated power supply you're asking for serious migraines.

It's true that an insufficient power supply can cause both
instability and eventual damage, but the typical Athlon
system does not need 400W, and there is almost no "PC"
system that needs 500W, even if the vast majority of the
current were concentrated on only the 5V or 12V rail.

With a typical PC, that being current-gen CPU, a couple hard
drives, budget/low-end video card, etc, 300W PSU in a good
name brand is sufficient. SFF systems demonstrate every day
that even a 180-250W PSU will run a modern built with enough
margin for another hard drive or two... but the PSU may need
replaced sooner.

Generics on the other hand, are a lottery. Their wattage
rating means almost nothing, they can only be assumed to be
somewhere inbetween 200W and 400W without further evidence.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:57:34 -0500, none
<gothika@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:20:30 +0100, "Christo" <chris@juststuff.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>i know very little about pwer, but from what i know a 350w will be ok, a
>>decent one though, i have a cheap one and i keep getting IRQL errors, im not
>>sure if they are related to the PSU or memory, but someone at uni has told
>>me a 400w PSU is reccomended with all AMD Athlon XP's
>>
>Correct. And that is the lowest one should use.
>I do video/film editing on Athalons and anything lower than 400 will
>give you constant locks and blue screens.
>The inrush and overcurrent ratings are critical too.
>At least 30 on the 5v and 25 on the 12v is required.
>You can NEVER have to much power.
>A good trick is to split the load between multiple psu, does require a
>bit of moding though.

Not true. I also have done quite a bit of video editing and
other full loads for extended periods of time and am quite
sure that 30A on 5V is not needed if CPU doesn't use 5V for
VRM circuit, and that even if CPU uses 12V for VRM circuit,
it will not need 25A. If you had instability you either
have very atypically high load beyond what was mentioned, or
very poor power supplies.... like generics that are quite
overrated.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:55:14 +0000, kony wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:53:07 -0500, none
> <gothika@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>>You don't want to waste $30 for nothing, either.
>>
>>Yes you do. The lowest rated supply I use for Athalon systems is 400
>>watts, and that is only with one HD.
>>Anymore and I go with a 500 watt.
>>Believe me if you really try and do any serious computing loads with
>>an under rated power supply you're asking for serious migraines.
>

> It's true that an insufficient power supply can cause both
> instability and eventual damage, but the typical Athlon
> system does not need 400W, and there is almost no "PC"
> system that needs 500W, even if the vast majority of the
> current were concentrated on only the 5V or 12V rail.
>
> With a typical PC, that being current-gen CPU, a couple hard
> drives, budget/low-end video card, etc, 300W PSU in a good
> name brand is sufficient. SFF systems demonstrate every day
> that even a 180-250W PSU will run a modern built with enough
> margin for another hard drive or two... but the PSU may need
> replaced sooner.
>
> Generics on the other hand, are a lottery. Their wattage
> rating means almost nothing, they can only be assumed to be
> somewhere inbetween 200W and 400W without further evidence.

The OP seems to be talking about a file server not a desktop PC. It's
hard to imagine why you would need 6 drives on a desktop. The disks are
going to be working much harder in a file server then they would be in a
PC. The symptom of a power supply problem on a file server is that a disk
suddenly drops off line, they system continues to run but you've lost that
drive until you do a reboot. It's very annoying. It's much better to spend
a few more dollars to get a robust supply. There will be $1000 worth of
drives in that system, it's silly to worry about 30 or 40 bucks extra for
a 550W supply vs a 350W.