[SOLVED] What PSU should i get for 1660 ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radwuw

Reputable
Dec 28, 2017
Hi.
I want to upgrade my 1050 ti nvidia gpu to 1660 ti and i want to know if this 500w psu is enough https://www.njoy.ro/PSU/ayrus500
I have a ryzen 5 1600x CPU, 2 x 8 gb 3000 mhz Ram, gtx 1050 ti GPU, and 1440 x 900 60hz monitor.
So is this psu gonna be enough or should i change it? If i need to change it could you recommend some cheap power sources?

Solution
no. that is a 375W unit a sign of a bad unit, look at the label on the +12V rail. a good power supply will have most if not all of the power on that rail.
seasonic s12ii/M12II in 520W or 620W - do not buy models of 450W, 500W, 550W etc, only models that end in 20W are good units.
Corsair CX series with the grey label, do not buy any green labeled units from corsair
any seasonic unit - aside from the models mentioned above, which are not made by seasonic- are good and safe to use

what are some of the retailers you are using? what country are you in? what is the budget ceiling?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Problem is not quantity of wattage, it's quality. And from what I can see, that does not appear to be good quality! Just see point 1 of this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

The 1050ti is a low power entry level GPU, so it does not need much, it can actually often run on a good quality 300W. So you don't need to jump to 500W if you don't need. But do not go for the PSU you linked.

What is your budget and location?
Just remember cheap and good PSU don't often go together. The LAST thing you should go cheap on is the PSU.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no. that is a 375W unit a sign of a bad unit, look at the label on the +12V rail. a good power supply will have most if not all of the power on that rail.
seasonic s12ii/M12II in 520W or 620W - do not buy models of 450W, 500W, 550W etc, only models that end in 20W are good units.
Corsair CX series with the grey label, do not buy any green labeled units from corsair
any seasonic unit - aside from the models mentioned above, which are not made by seasonic- are good and safe to use

what are some of the retailers you are using? what country are you in? what is the budget ceiling?

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am from romania and that is the psu i have and i want to know if it can hold the 1660ti cause it surely holds a 1050ti
As myself and R_1 have stated, the problem is not the wattage, the problem is the quality, and the last we'd want you to do is buy new components for a poor quality PSU to wipe them out.

Does it have enough wattage? Yes.
Is it a good idea? Probably not.

What R_1 has suggested as alternatives are good choices, Corsair CX is usually the most budget friendly that's still good quality in most places, there are better, but if you're on a strict budget, it's the minimum many would recommend.

Reactions: radwuw
Status
Not open for further replies.