Question What PSU should I get for my newly assembled desktop?

Feb 27, 2019
System details:
  • Intel Core™ i5-9600K Processor, 3.7GHz w/ 9MB Cache
  • Asus Prime Z390-P w/ DDR4 2666, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2x 8GB)
  • Asus DUAL RTX 2060 OC GeForce RTX 2060 6GB PCI-E w/ DVI, Dual HDMI, Dual DP
  • 1x SSD and 1x HDD
  • 4 fans

I am considering getting the Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold PSU or the EVGA G3 650W. I am unsure if I should be getting a 750W psu or not.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You won't need anything bigger than 550w for that pc, and that includes any OC.

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)

Your gaming power draw will be lucky to exceed 300w, so a 550w is plenty.

If that freaks you and you still want 650w,

Power Supply: FSP Group - Hydro GE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Or
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
Thank you so much for the answer.

Most calculators offered me a 650W psu and I saw people recommending 750W psus to people who had similar gaming builds with me, which made me antsy about getting a lower watt psu. So I admit it freaks me out a bit, especially since Corsair TX650M failed on me for some reason right after I booted up my system.

The Corsair RMx 650W is bit more expensive here in Canada than the Seasonic Focus Plus. Would you say that its a better pick than the ones I posted?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh, didn't see the Canada part anywhere, so assumed local US. No, that Seasonic is equitable to the RMx, there's debates as ti which is better lol. If that's the cheaper one, go for it, it's a great psu.
Which TXM do you have? The older Bronze or the newer Gold, because if they are recent they should both still be under manufacturer warranty.

Feb 27, 2019
I had the Corsair TX650M Gold, and I'm in the middle of an RMA right now. They told me they would refund it if everything turns out alright when I send it back to them. I will get the Seasonic if I manage to get a refund. Now I'm thinking about requesting an RMA for the motherboard as well because there's no way for me to know if it was damaged or not; or if it had a hand in the boot-up malfunction in the first place. I also learned that its one of the worst entry level z390s cost-performace-wise. I honestly don't know if I would need a fancier motherboard though, I'm not planning on overclocking or anything like that. The knowledge of getting something worse for a higher price is rubbing me the wrong way.