What PSU should i use in my build ?

Seconded. If you had not already bought it, I'd tell you to avoid it and get a better unit, but since you already have it there is no sense in replacing it simply for the sake of replacing it. You might however wish to get a better unit and simply keep it as a backup, but honestly with the amount of overkill between what you have in that unit and the amount of power your system will actually pull, it's doubtful that unit will not last it's entire warranty period and beyond.

Your system will likely only use about 250-300w, or less, at full load, even with some overclocking.

tristan.martin564

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017

Alright so if something ever did happen and i had to upgrade, what psu would be good ? I will also be upgrade the GPU's to probably a 1080 and maybe even sli in the future ?

Even with GTX 1080, your system will be pulling about 250-300w from the wall while gaming.
SLI is the second worst idea. There are very few games that properly support SLI and DX12/Vulcan exclusives (without fall back to DX11) will not support it either.
if you want/need more GPU power, just get a 1080Ti - still will perform better on average and will cost you less.

tristan.martin564

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017

Alright, so what psu should i get if something happens to the current one ?

Just a note to say I also agree with the idea that SLI/Crossfire configurations should be considered a thing of the past.

For one, they are not supported well in most games to start with, not supported in a lot of games anymore at all and are mostly unnecessary.

There are single card solutions that will absolutely max out both 1080 and 1440p and for 4k the 1080TI will max out some games and generally will play at max settings in the majority of others at high or with some settings turned down a bit. Since the last gen 980ti couldn't even come close to handling a demanding game at max 4k, and the 1080ti can, at least mostly except in the most demanding games, I'd suspect that by the next gen we'll see almost full coverage of all current AAA titles at 4k on the top tier cards.

But as with most things you can be sure that new features and increased resource requirements in the next gen of games might once again mean that even with a top shelf card some sacrifices might need to be made but I think from this point forward pretty much all 1080/1440 gaming can be handled at the very maximum settings by a single card for the forseeable future unless some incredibly game changing technologies come around that make the difficulty magnitudes higher. That's pretty doubtful for those resolutions.

TRENDING THREADS