[SOLVED] What psu should i use !! Please help

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Please don't spam the forum keep it to 1 thread
Hello. Im looking further to upgrade some parts on my computer and i dont want to rush this because i dont wanna face any issue on my build. Im looking to purchase a GTX 1660 6gb, but as far as i know my psu its basically an office psu and a lot of people didnt recommended it. Soo i thought to order a new one, but im in the middle between the Corsair CX550 and EVGA 500BR, which one is better or they are actually the same despite their differences? EVGA seems to be more cheaper than the corsair on Ebay, so i thought to purchase it, but i really need your opinion guys... The question is! Will the EVGA 500BR psu work properly on my pc and is it compatible/enough with my gtx 1660? (Ill put the system requirements down below)

The PC Parts that im looking to upgrade:
Procesor: i5-4440 3.10GHz
RAM: 16gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 1660 6gb
MotherBoard: gigabyte h81m-s
And the PSU that im looking to purchase: EVGA 500BR

Solution
Go one step further. Avoid buying power supplies in general from eBay unless that happens to be the link used by Newegg or Amazon or other trusted e-tailors. Used/second-hand psus are almost universally devoid of any warranty, including manufacturer warranty. Even brand new units are not covered or at best a limited warranty for 1-3 years on parts/labor for repair, since brand new units are second owner, the original purchaser cutting out the UPC for rebate purposes.
D

Deleted member 2720853

I would go for the CX 550 just to be safe, never cheap out on a power supply. Make sure the CX 550 has a gray "CX" and not green.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Hello guys, im looking to purchase a new psu because im trying to upgrade some parts like the gpu on my pc but the psu basically its the first thing that i should worry about, im in dilemma between the corsair cx550 and EVGA 500w BR, the gpu that im looking to upgrade its GTX 1660. I know that the corsair its a better psu and everyone recommended it but my question goes for evga, is EVGA good to go? Because despite their differences EVGA its more cheaper and im looking to purchase it, will evga work properly and is it enough for gtx 1660 that i wont face any issues at all or should i go with the corsair at all costs?

bignastyid

Titan
I do still give that warning with the 550, just because there's at least some chance -- though not much anymore -- that someone goes "oh, a 600 is even cheaper and 50W more!" and ends up getting a green 600.

I agree that's a good idea to recommend avoiding the older green 500 and 600w units. Just got to be a bit more specific or they will be trying to avoid a unit that doesn't exist. I can already see it "but I was told to avoid the green CX550 not the green CX600".

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go one step further. Avoid buying power supplies in general from eBay unless that happens to be the link used by Newegg or Amazon or other trusted e-tailors. Used/second-hand psus are almost universally devoid of any warranty, including manufacturer warranty. Even brand new units are not covered or at best a limited warranty for 1-3 years on parts/labor for repair, since brand new units are second owner, the original purchaser cutting out the UPC for rebate purposes.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS