[SOLVED] What PSU should I use?

d17d

Prominent
Jun 28, 2018
Hello all, I'm planning to build a PC, and I don't know how many volts it will need. I'm thinking to get one of the premium brands such as EVGA, or Seasonic, but I just don't know which one.
Here are my system specs:

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB ASUS
CPU: I7-8700
RAM: 2x8gb ddr4 2666MHz
Motherboard: Asus Prime H310M-K R2.0
PSU: ????

Preferably I'm looking for something below 75$, and I don't really care about the efficiency, as long as it's reliable and from a trusted brand.

Solution
  • First of all, I understand that you're on a limited budget, but whatever you do, do not cheap out on your PSU. Yes, you might get the idea that pc building budget is focused rather on cpu, gpu and motherboard, but the power supply is the component that delivers power to every component in your computer, and if that goes wrong , you gamble hundreds of dollars. Always get a quality psu!
  • Wattage-wise, Asus recommends a minimum of 500w power supply for a 1060 6gb. This is good, because any reliable psu these days has at least that much wattage. (I also ran a psu calculator online; with stock cpu and gpu speeds, 1 ssd and 1 7200rpm hard drive plus 2x92mm fans, recommended wattage 370w, so you'd have enough headroom...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
S12-II series is a workhorse psu. That design has been around for years, used by different vendors like Antec. It's solid and reliable. There are bigger, better, stronger psus with more protections for sure, but you are looking at a 3 year warranty psu that doesn't have any issues lasting 6 or more years and doesn't have any use for half the protections other psus insist on having.

Considering budget and location, you could do a lot worse than an S12-II. Do not be tempted by an S12-III, it's nothing like it's predecessor.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Don't go cheaper than the SeaSonic S12. And if you get that PSU, make sure to disable the C6/C7 power states in the BIOS.

But definitely don't go cheaper. If a budget only has room for an i7-8700/GTX 1060/junky PSU, then the budget isn't enough for an i7-8700/GTX 1060. Spending on the fun gear and then cheaping out on the safety equipment is a very expensive decision in the long run for many.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
  • First of all, I understand that you're on a limited budget, but whatever you do, do not cheap out on your PSU. Yes, you might get the idea that pc building budget is focused rather on cpu, gpu and motherboard, but the power supply is the component that delivers power to every component in your computer, and if that goes wrong , you gamble hundreds of dollars. Always get a quality psu!
  • Wattage-wise, Asus recommends a minimum of 500w power supply for a 1060 6gb. This is good, because any reliable psu these days has at least that much wattage. (I also ran a psu calculator online; with stock cpu and gpu speeds, 1 ssd and 1 7200rpm hard drive plus 2x92mm fans, recommended wattage 370w, so you'd have enough headroom anyway).
If you want a better idea of how good a specific psu is, you might want to check a psu tier list like this.

Regarding the nJoy Ayrus 500w, although PcG said it's a good power supply in a recent mailbox, it's rather questionable. Don't get me wrong, I know he knows what he's talking about (that build was a 2200g with no dedicated graphics, so that might get away with worse psu's anyways), but the specs itself look questionable. On the side it shows two 12V rails, one with 16A the other with 14A, in total 372w. But 12*(16+14)=360. And a good unit should have at least 95% or similar on the 12V rail(s), whereas for the 500w Ayrus it's only 67%. Yes, it's 80+

TL,DR: don't get a cheap psu (unless it's cheap because of a sale), check a psu tier list, at least 80+ bronze.
Also, checked pcgarage about 3 hours from your last post, it was still available. Looks like a pretty good deal. It uses japanese capacitors and comes with a 5 year warranty, but should get at least a few more years of it. It's important to keep your components as cool as possible. Wire management is very important for this.

Last edited:
Solution

d17d

Prominent
Jun 28, 2018
  • Wattage-wise, Asus recommends a minimum of 500w power supply for a 1060 6gb. This is good, because any reliable psu these days has at least that much wattage. (I also ran a psu calculator online; with stock cpu and gpu speeds, 1 ssd and 1 7200rpm hard drive plus 2x92mm fans, recommended wattage 370w, so you'd have enough headroom anyway).
If you want a better idea of how good a specific psu is, you might want to check a psu tier list like this.

Regarding the nJoy Ayrus 500w, although Madalin said it's a good power supply in a recent mailbox, it's rather questionable. Don't get me wrong, I know he knows what he's talking about (that build was a 2200g with no dedicated graphics, so that might get away with worse psu's anyways), but the specs itself look questionable. On the side it shows two 12V rails, one with 16A the other with 14A, in total 372w. But 12*(16+14)=360. And a good unit should have at least 95% or similar on the 12V rail(s), whereas for the 500w Ayrus it's only 67%. Yes, it's 80+

TL,DR: don't get a cheap psu (unless it's cheap because of a sale), check a psu tier list, at least 80+ bronze.
Also, checked pcgarage about 3 hours from your last post, it was still available. Looks like a pretty good deal. It uses japanese capacitors and comes with a 5 year warranty, but should get at least a few more years of it. It's important to keep your components as cool as possible. Wire management is very important for this.
Thanks for the info, Im 99% certain that i will get the S12, but what about that Thermaltake litepower 550W i mentioned, its abit more cheap because of the decreased efficiency but i dont really care about that.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Thanks for the info, Im 99% certain that i will get the S12, but what about that Thermaltake litepower 550W i mentioned, its abit more cheap because of the decreased efficiency but i dont really care about that.
In the PSU tier I linked you, Thermaltake LitePower series is on tier 6, while S12II is on tier 4.
Apart from that, I'd still go with the S12II. LitePower doesn't have an 80+ sticker, nor it's mention on Thermaltake's website, that is 80+. They say it's 85% efficient (which, at 50% load, should be Bronze) but no 80+ certification.
Also LitePower has only 2 years commercial warranty, whereas S12II has 5 years. So 30 RON less and 30 watts more isn't worth it.

TRENDING THREADS