What PSU should my friend choose?

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Hello, world!

My friend wants to make his PC this autumn, but he needs some help making the decision.

What PSU should he choose?

The Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W or the Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 Bronze? ?

There is no point getting an modular PSU in this build, since he is using the Molex cables too.

Many thanks! :)

Solution
That Seasonic unit will not have any of the low power state issues that an Intel build might have, at least so far as I've heard as of yet on Ryzen. As Onus has said the 520w model will be sufficient for that build but if there are plans to upgrade to a higher end GPU card at a later date then getting the 620w unit isn't a horrible idea.

Either way, that unit is better than the Coolermaster unit as it does not have any issues with voltage regulation like the Masterwatt unit does.
Voltage regulation is poor on the CM MW 550w unit. The Seasonic S12II 620 is an older design using group regulation, but it was a solid unit for it's time and is likely a better choice than the CM unit. What country are you in, what online vendors can you purchase from and what hardware is being used in the build?

It makes a difference because if this is an Intel build that is Haswell or newer, you will want a unit that is not group regulated unless you are willing to disable the C6/C7 low power states in the bios for compatibility reasons.

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Q1: What country are you in, what online vendors can you purchase from and what hardware is being used in the build?

A1: Country : Romania
Components : Ryzen 3 1200 + GTX 1050 Ti

Q2: Will his budget allow a Seasonic Focus or Focus+, or an EVGA B2 or P2?

A2: Sadly, no. :(

I would personally never buy a Coolermaster PSU, especially from one of their budget lines. Past examples have been very poor, only a notch or two above "junk."
The listed components don't need a lot of power. A 380W Antec Earthwatts or 450W Corsair CX or CXM would be sufficient choices, and might be cheaper. If the Seasonic S12II is available in the 620W version, look for the 520W model; it's powerful enough, and might be cheaper.

That Seasonic unit will not have any of the low power state issues that an Intel build might have, at least so far as I've heard as of yet on Ryzen. As Onus has said the 520w model will be sufficient for that build but if there are plans to upgrade to a higher end GPU card at a later date then getting the 620w unit isn't a horrible idea.

Either way, that unit is better than the Coolermaster unit as it does not have any issues with voltage regulation like the Masterwatt unit does.

Solution