[SOLVED] What PSU to buy?

zoorned

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017
I've used my old PSU Chieftec CFT-600 for about 7 years and it has served me well. However, lately, I've had a few random PC restarts while gaming and have heard a quiet buzzing from the rear (can't really tell if it's the PSU though). I think these are the symptoms of a failing PSU.

What unit would you recommend? Also is it an okay idea to buy a used PSU online?
My primary PC usage is gaming. My budget is ~ 100$. Thanks!

My rig:
Monitor - LG MP59G 24"
MB - P8Z77V LK
CPU - i7 3770k @4.2 GHz OC + Zalman CNPS10X Performa+
GPU - MSI GTX 1080 Hawk
RAM - Kingston HyperX 16 GB DDR3-1600 (2x8)
PSU - Chieftec CFT-600 600 W
SSD - OCZ TL-100 240GB 2.5" SATA III TLC
HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm 3.5 SATA III

Last edited:
Solution
Options which I found under 100$, are they good?
  • Corsair HX750i 750W - refurbished
  • Antec EarthWatts EA650G Pro 650W - new
I would not buy a used power supply unless my options were severely limited. Your system can easily run on a good quality 550 watt model but there's nothing wrong with using a 650 watt unit if you want. I was going to recommend the Seasonic unit but I see you edited it out of your post, leaving the Antec, which is a decent model. If you wanted to go with a 550 watt model, the Corsair TXM550 is a good model and in your price range.
Options which I found under 100$, are they good?
  • Corsair HX750i 750W - refurbished
  • Antec EarthWatts EA650G Pro 650W - new
I would not buy a used power supply unless my options were severely limited. Your system can easily run on a good quality 550 watt model but there's nothing wrong with using a 650 watt unit if you want. I was going to recommend the Seasonic unit but I see you edited it out of your post, leaving the Antec, which is a decent model. If you wanted to go with a 550 watt model, the Corsair TXM550 is a good model and in your price range.

Solution

zoorned

Reputable
Sep 7, 2017

Thanks. I want to have some extra power in case I upgrade in the future, going with Antec.

Last edited: