Question What PSU to get for my current build ?

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
So this is is the build:
i3 12100f
b660m ds3h
2x8 3200mhz cl16 kingston fury
gtx 1650
Kingston NV1 500gb
Im just wondering what PSU to get for this, im buying from official store so please recommend something that is common and branded.

Aug 13, 2022
What you want to do is add up all the TDPs. The CPU has a TDP of 89w. Motherboard has a TDP of 65w. The GPU has 75w. As for the NV1, it is less that 4 watts. And Memory is around 1.5 watts for the 3200 per stick. Case fans are around 2 watts. Now, adding all those up you get 238 watts if there is only one case fan. If you are adding LEDs into the equation, then there is even more to consider, and then there are the USB devices that don't have discrete PSUs. A 300w PSU should supply this PC with more than ample power, but one should consider pricing... I find that a lower watt PSU tend to be priced higher than the 450w PSUs.

What you want to do is add up all the TDPs. The CPU has a TDP of 89w. Motherboard has a TDP of 65w. The GPU has 75w. As for the NV1, it is less that 4 watts. And Memory is around 1.5 watts for the 3200 per stick. Case fans are around 2 watts. Now, adding all those up you get 238 watts if there is only one case fan. If you are adding LEDs into the equation, then there is even more to consider, and then there are the USB devices that don't have discrete PSUs. A 300w PSU should supply this PC with more than ample power, but one should consider pricing... I find that a lower watt PSU tend to be priced higher than the 450w PSUs.
There are hardly any quality PSU below 450w. Most units below 450w are made for office/casual use, not meant for heavy usage like gaming.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor
Your question asks about your current build.
Your 12100 processor can support a much stronger graphics card which you may want to plan for.
Just a GTX1650 can run on as little as 380w and does not need aux 6/8 pin power.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Think about something in the 750w range.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
You will usually find small pricing deltas between550/650/750w units.
Look for a quality unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
For example, the seasonic focus units with a 7 year warranty are priced at
$113, $119,$129 for the 550,650,750w units respectively.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-550-gold-ssr-550fm-550w/p/N82E16817151203?Item=9SIB18AJF08949
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-750-gold-ssr-750fm-750w/p/N82E16817151201?Item=9SIB5AWHWV0996

The supernova unit mentioned above has a 10 year warranty with a small upcharge for the 750w unit.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
PSU's:

Go big, or go home (and play with yourself 'cause your system went poopoo with the too small one!)

Seasonic & EVGA 750-1200w are normally my go to's for both my own machines & also for client builds, depending on the CPU, GPU and intended use of course !

Reactions: cAllen
Aug 13, 2022
I will say this...stay away from Corsair. Brand new RM1000X didn't last 2 hours during my burn in. The 8pin cable is not the same at both ends like all the other cables where the clip is concerned, so it makes it easy to confuse it and plug in the wrong end and finding out...your computer won't post.

I just went with the EVGA 1000 myself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The RMx series is as good as it gets for Gold rated psus, and better by far than many Platinum rated, it's bee that way for multiple years, it's the platform to beat, it sets the bar and many fail to come close, some miserably so.

The cables are Supposed to be different, the pins at the psu are totally irrelevant, doesn't matter if it's a 4pin or 12pin, it's only a modular connection for the cables. It's the business end, EPS, PCI-E etc that mean anything. If you manage to get them confused, that's not on Corsair, especially since the connectors by design are not reversible. They only go in one direction.

I will say this...stay away from Corsair. Brand new RM1000X didn't last 2 hours during my burn in. The 8pin cable is not the same at both ends like all the other cables where the clip is concerned, so it makes it easy to confuse it and plug in the wrong end and finding out...your computer won't post.

I just went with the EVGA 1000 myself.
Looks like a user error

Reactions: Karadjgne
Aug 13, 2022
40 years I have been working with computers. I have worked as a Test Development Engineer for an ODM where I wrote the software that tested equipment. I took a company from 60 employees to over 600 employees through my efforts alone. When I left them in 2005, they called me back begging me to return, at which I did for a higher salary. Computers are not new to me. Handling them correctly when putting in parts is not new to me. I know a bad product when I see one, and I certainly know a company when they are failing to produce quality.

With that being said, I have owned several of Corsairs product lines and ALL of them have failed me. Elite Headsets that don't last a year...Mice that barely make it past a year. A K95 Platinum Mechanical Keyboard that won't hold the settings for the macros and when you go to Corsair for support, they say "We are not planning any update for the Macro functionality, we are more focused on the selling points of the RGB LEDs."

I purchased 2 RMseriesX PSUs in the past year. The RM850X PSU is dead out of the box. The RM1000X lasted 2 hours... I tell you I am done with Corsair. If they developed the cure for cancer, I would advise people to shy away from it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've been tinkering, fixing, building, modding pc's since 1980, both amateur and professionally as well, my first pc was a Commodore Vic20 with a Toshiba hand-held single speaker tape recorder for a drive and the extra 5KB of ram add-on, so no stranger to pc's here either.

I'll give you that many of the Corsair accessories can be 'iffy' as far as quality goes, and for many years their lower end psu's and even AIO's were not good at all, but that changed when Jon took over psu development. That included cables. Dunno what to say other than the cables are designed to fit only 1 way, they don't fit in reverse unless forced.

I've used multiple Corsair psus over the years, never had any issues other than once with a clients pc, and that was Corsair's fault, the hard plastic tubing on a H100 aio burst conpletely and flooded the psu, which then pretty much destroyed the entire pc. Corsair not only paid for an entire new pc, all interior parts either matched or upgraded but also shipped me a brand new case at no cost, which the old one was not damaged at all, And paid me full price for the time to rebuild. I built the pc, sent them an inventoried price sheet, they had me a check in a week, and that was by snail-mail.

So my view on Corsair is somewhat different than yours, but then again I also don't shop by brand, I shop by model. I prefer Steel Series to Corsair headphones and mice, Logitech to Corsair for keyboards etc. Even (cough) Razer headphones are better than last years Corsair models, and thats saying a Lot.

Aug 13, 2022

Well, that's a liability. Microsoft did the same thing when Windows 95 was blowing up monitors because the Windows OS was setting the refresh rate to high. That's pretty much keeping them out of a class action suite.

The monitors (CRTs) were not actually exploding. That was the tech term. They would arc to the front glass and destroy them.

I mean not from ebay amazon etc. Im from Serbia and the budget for psu is $50. Here we dont have sites like that so basically stores like american best buy.
You can look for Corsair CX/CXM/TXM units usually available around that range for 450w or 550w. Those are usually decent quality PSUs. Other than that, there are barely any quality units available for that price range. Maybe some Seasonic units, if you can find them.