shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I want to get an enermax psu (the only name I recognize that's good and dependable. other suggestions are welcome, but anyway:) but I can't make heads or tails of the differences between them on the enermax site <A HREF="http://www.enermax.com.tw/products/switch-main.htm" target="_new">here</A>. I saw that fma is monitored by the motherboard, but then what exactly does fca do? further, what are those active pca ones? ATX +12V? any help would be greatly appreciated.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
the fca series will shut off the fan if there is no need for it while the fma series will only make the fan go slower if it not needed

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
With an Enermax you can't go wrong, unless you get one and it die on you with in the first 5 minutes. Then you can come back and tell me where to shove it. :) It's one of the top brands, turning off or slowing down fans to me mean nothing, I couldn't care less what it does if it does the job well. Antech is good, I mean people say so.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

Uncle_Astro

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
My opinion is that Enermax is the way to go.

They make three basic versions in each of the power ranges. (I never remember which actual part number is which, but the price will tell you.) The least expensive version has dumb fans--when the PS runs the fans run. The next most expensive one has a thermistor (thermal sensor) that hangs out of the power distribution cable bundle. You can place it near the CPU and the PS will vary the fan speed automatically, based on the temp at the thermistor. (This version is my personal fav since the Enermax PSU's are virtually silent even running flat out, and I think it's best to let it decide when it wants the fans to run fast.) The most expensive version (I think it's the one with 'A' at the end of the part number) has a fan speed rheostat on the rear panel of the PSU so you can adjust it to your liking.

"There are no mysteries with computers...just fix it you idiot!" (R. Warren 1909-1990)

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I would go fo enermax too. Variable fan speed doesn't really matter (atleast to me) since they are so quiet. Your cpu fan is probably louder. Antec is another good brand. Just make sure you get at least 350 watts.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)