[SOLVED] What PSU to replace Cooler Master RS 500 PCAR-D3?

silvanet

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
I have an old but trustworthy Desktop I built around an Asus B85M-E mobo. I have had an ATI Radeon 3870 card and wanted to upgrade it. After some research, I picked the XFX RX 590. They aren't kidding about that "Fat Boy." In essence I lose a PCI slot installing that.

OK, so I see that my PSU doesn't have the connectors the Fat Boy seems to require - one 6 pin and one 8 pin. I called their tech support and they said I need to replace the PSU.

I'd like to get something decent at a mid-range price. The tech recommended an EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 currently on sale at Newegg, but looking at it I'd have to also buy a set of cables at maybe an additional cost of over a hundred dollars. Yikes!

Modular sounds nice, but I never really minded all the extra cables I didn't need on my old PSU. Am I stuck with that? How do I know what adapter kit I need to make sure I have the right connectors? I'm guessing that video card is pretty much a real power hog.

Solution
I have an old but trustworthy Desktop I built around an Asus B85M-E mobo. I have had an ATI Radeon 3870 card and wanted to upgrade it. After some research, I picked the XFX RX 590. They aren't kidding about that "Fat Boy." In essence I lose a PCI slot installing that.

OK, so I see that my PSU doesn't have the connectors the Fat Boy seems to require - one 6 pin and one 8 pin. I called their tech support and they said I need to replace the PSU.

I'd like to get something decent at a mid-range price. The tech recommended an EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 currently on sale at Newegg, but looking at it I'd have to also buy a set of cables at maybe an additional cost of over a hundred dollars. Yikes!

Modular sounds nice, but I never really minded...

Modular sounds nice, but I never really minded all the extra cables I didn't need on my old PSU. Am I stuck with that? How do I know what adapter kit I need to make sure I have the right connectors? I'm guessing that video card is pretty much a real power hog.
You really should get a better quality PSU than the EVGA you listed, but it's gonna cost more. This comes with all the cables you need. The RX 590 can use close to 250 watts during gaming. You need a good PSU and this is one of the best for a good price.
https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-650f14hg-650w/p/1HU-024C-00007

Last edited:
Solution

silvanet

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
I haven't bought a replacement power supply yet. That's why I came here first for some advice. Thanks for that quick response. Your suggested PSU looks really good and the price is not at all bad. If the cable kit included provides what I need to connect up the RX 590, I'm good to go. I have to check the footprint, but it looks like it will fit in my case alright.

I wish I could do this all in one step, but I have to transition. I'll be looking to upgrade my Asus mobo hopefully in the not too distant future. The onboard Realtek sound module was my next thought. The only available slot I have left is the PCIEX16_2 so I'm looking at a decent sound card, still not super pricey top of the line though. My Asus mobo provides 8-channel HD sound to the front panel.

I'm reading about some out of this world high end audio features I just can't afford right now. Trying to make good choices for a better experience. I'm hoping to be ready to build a new one before the year ends or in first couple of months of next year.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your advice.