Nov 15, 2013
I am trying to build a descent CPU with specs of

Intel i3 - 3210
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
2x4GB 1333mhz Kingston - Be Adding 2x4GB in the near future
MSI GT630 (DDR3-4GB)
2 x 500GB Seagate HDD - Be Adding 500GB in the near future
1 x DVD-ROM

what type of a PSU should i use for this Setup?, (Brand, Model, Budget Wise)
The only i have with me is a generic 600watts PSU
now am eyeing to buy a good PSU for this i'm not really knowledgeable in terms of PSU

Solution

Well, room for upgrades later :)

Yeah, I'd go with the Corsair, it's a good deal. Nah, the PSU will only suck the power your system needs (i.e. if you're only running at 350W, the power supply will only supply that much, not 700W).

What you need in a graphics card depends mostly on your budget and usage. Typically, you buy the best card you can afford. (I use...
G

Corsair, SeaSonic, XFX.. just to name a few. I personally have a 600W Corsair CX for my system and it works just fine. It's ~$50.

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Thank you for your response , I'll be checking if those are available in my region. been reading a lot about corsair.

I'm planning to use this for VMare, Virtual machines, i really need a lot of RAM for it.
Would i be needing a Graphics Card for this? what would you recommend?

ACTechy

Distinguished
Gotcha, unless you're wanting to play any games, you're probably be fine, but it seems like you'd want a better CPU for doing virtual machine stuff, depending on how many you're running. I'd go i5 at least.

But you're right, for your usage, more RAM is good.

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Been also thinking that i need a higher CPU but this is the only i have right now.

So imma go with the Corsair, right?
higher wattage does that mean higher power consumption?
so like if have 700watts of PSU, bigger electricity bill?
or PSU operates on what is just needed or load

i've noticed you're good video cards, what should i look for?
thank in advance ^^

ACTechy

Distinguished

Well, room for upgrades later :)

Yeah, I'd go with the Corsair, it's a good deal. Nah, the PSU will only suck the power your system needs (i.e. if you're only running at 350W, the power supply will only supply that much, not 700W).

What you need in a graphics card depends mostly on your budget and usage. Typically, you buy the best card you can afford. (I use NVIDIA cards, because Adobe suite can utilize CUDA cores, but that's just my case :)) Keep an eye on www.techbargains.com for good deals. On the NVIDIA side, I'd look at the 650 Ti BOOST and above, on the AMD side, 7850 and above, if you're looking for decent gaming performance.

Solution

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Thank you for clarifying things.
hmm.. i met someone who is selling a corsair hx 650w silver
http://s864.photobucket.com/user/kurt_andrei/media/1381751576216.jpg.html

selling it for 65$ and been used for a year.
is this a good buy? how do i test it?
thanks!

G

Personally, I would never buy a used PSU. Buy a brand new one, it's the heart of your system and you want quality!

ACTechy

Distinguished

Eh, I wouldn't. I don't like the gamble and lack of warranty at that point. And that's not that great of a deal, you can get a brand new semi-modular Corsair 650W for less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048 Granted, it's not as nice as the HX series, but it's better to get your warranty and start fresh.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $39.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-16 15:17 EST-0500)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $49.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-16 15:16 EST-0500)

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

I agree, Hmm been surfing the web the whole night, hmm does it really matter if its BRONZE, SILVER, GOLD?.

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

will check if this is available here in my region.

ACTechy

Distinguished

It depends on how efficient you want your supply to be, to me personally, not a huge deal.

"80 Plus (trademarked 80 PLUS) is a voluntary certification program intended to promote efficient energy use in computer power supply units (PSUs). Launched in 2004 by Ecos Consulting, it certifies products that have more than 80% energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load, and a power factor of 0.9 or greater at 100% load. That is, such PSUs will waste 20% or less electric energy as heat at the specified load levels, thus reducing electricity use and bills compared to less efficient PSUs." Wikipedia

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

http://teamtechsquad.com/2459/corsair-introduces-cs-series-modular-power-supplies/

CS Series? Is this good?

ACTechy

Distinguished

Yeah, they have good specs, looks like an upgrade to their CX line, more power efficient and good cables.

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Well i guess this is good then. just need to check the pricing.

Next stop is buying a new CASE, Lian Li is quite expensive, ever heard of it?

ACTechy

Distinguished

For sure, they make good stuff. Check out Silverstone if you like that style, or Fractal Design.

my3rdlife

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

How do i get a promo code? can they shipped out to here (philippines)?