[SOLVED] What PSU/Wattage should I aim for with this productivity build?

ialastra

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Here's the current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RsxwQq

I might plan on adding a second MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card in the future for another 2 - 4 monitors so I'll want a PSU that can handle that extra load if I decide to do so (I want to see how working with 4 monitors is first because I suspect more than that would deliver diminishing returns for me). I'm using the system for day trading rather than gaming so I don't think I'll need to overclock -- just need to smoothly/concurrently run multiple spreadsheet, charting, broker, browser windows, and stock research software.

I realize it might be better for me to get a PSU for this particular setup, and then consider updating the PSU at the time I add the second graphics card for the extra monitor too (because I heard that going overkill on power can actually hurt the performance of a system that doesn't need the extra power).

I'll be adding a wired keyboard, mouse, integrated wi-fi/bluetooth card (not sure if I need this yet or not), and an external power supply to the system too in case of brownouts.

So if I left it with just one graphics card, what would be a good PSU wattage to aim for?
What if I added the second graphics card?

Also, would it be better to get a PSU assuming 1 graphics card and then upgrade the PSU later if I get a 2nd card? Or would it be best to get a stronger PSU now for a later possible upgrade to 2 graphics cards (even though I may never make that upgrade)?

Thanks ahead of time for responding!

Solution
If you're talking about good PSUs, one 1660 Super should be 450 W, two would be around 700 W.

You are not likely to touch a PSU for 5+ years, it should last a long time. So I'd prepare for future updates.
Thanks! I think I'll go with
I couldn't find a good selection at 700W and I've had pretty good experiences with Corsair's PSUs.
Good one, but it's out of stock so you might have to wait.

If you don't like to wait this is a good alternative:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8J1973?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

PSU prices are unfathomably high at the moment, you probably have to wait until the middle of next month to get the prices back to normal again.