[SOLVED] What PSU would you recommend for this setup?

BlazHUN1

Commendable
Apr 1, 2020
Hi guys, I'm planning on building a new pc once the RTX-3070 is out.So far these are the components I thought about but I don't know what PSU should I get. Mobo: GIGABYTE B550M Aorus Elite, CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x, CPU cooler: Arctic freezer 34 eSport Duo, RAM: G. Skill RipjawsV 16 GB(2x8Gb kit) 3600 MHz, Case: SilentiumPC Astrum AT6V TG, SSD: 500GB Samsung 950 EVO (VGA: from my old PC an MSI GTX 1060 6GB as placeholder till the RTX 3070 drops. Thanks for your answers in advance!

Solution
Assuming that the demand for the 3070 will be simillar to the 3080, you'll most likely need to sit for a while on that 1060 as availability will be sparse.

For the PSU, I'd recommend a 650W unit... you can also get by easily with a 550W great quality model too.

If you can get something from this list would be great:

Corsair: RMx or TXM
Seasonic: Focus GX/GM, Prime
EVGA: SuperNova G2, G3
Superflower: Leadex II, III

You can also check out this PSU tier list:

You should stick to tier A for your configuration. If you really need to go cheaper, the Corsair CX is pretty decent... but seriously, if you can afford a 3070 , you can afford a great quality...
Assuming that the demand for the 3070 will be simillar to the 3080, you'll most likely need to sit for a while on that 1060 as availability will be sparse.

For the PSU, I'd recommend a 650W unit... you can also get by easily with a 550W great quality model too.

If you can get something from this list would be great:

Corsair: RMx or TXM
Seasonic: Focus GX/GM, Prime
EVGA: SuperNova G2, G3
Superflower: Leadex II, III

You can also check out this PSU tier list:

You should stick to tier A for your configuration. If you really need to go cheaper, the Corsair CX is pretty decent... but seriously, if you can afford a 3070 , you can afford a great quality PSU too.

Last edited:
Solution
would jump to a good 750Watt PSU to be safe. Should be the sweat spot.
650W will work as well, but the price difference is not that big and the new cards power spikes can be frustrating if the power supply hasn´t enough power to compensate.

Well, considering that the 3070 is supposedly on par with the 2080ti in terms of performance and Ampere is more efficient than Turing, I'm expecting the 3070 to draw less than a 2080ti, hence with his configuration even a 550W should do the job just fine, but 650W would definitely be recommended for extra headroom.

We need to wait for the reviews to be certain though.