[SOLVED] what ram can i upgrade to

Apr 9, 2021
hi, i have an alienware aurora r6, from a couple years ago, and I want to upgrade from single channel to dual channel ram. i found a kit that matches my specs, had a couple questions though, from what i can tell i have a z270 motherboard and a k processor, will i be able to utilize 3000mhz ram by enabling xmp, or do i have to go by what dell recommended and get 2666mhz only? i have researched a little bit and from what i can tell some people have tried 3000 and it was stable, so if theirs not much of a price difference should i just buy the 3000mhz ram and try xmp out, worst case scenario it only runs at 2400mhz but at least i would have a dual channel operation instead of single. thanks for your time and answers.

hi, i have an alienware aurora r6, from a couple years ago, and I want to upgrade from single channel to dual channel ram. i found a kit that matches my specs, had a couple questions though, from what i can tell i have a z270 motherboard and a k processor, will i be able to utilize 3000mhz ram by enabling xmp, or do i have to go by what dell recommended and get 2666mhz only? i have researched a little bit and from what i can tell some people have tried 3000 and it was stable, so if theirs not much of a price difference should i just buy the 3000mhz ram and try xmp out, worst case scenario it only runs at 2400mhz but at least i would have a dual channel operation instead of single. thanks for your time and answers.
Faster RAM can always run at slower speed if your MB/CPU/BIOS don't allow faster speeds.