Luis

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Hello everybody

I have a question:

Suppose I have a Pentium 4 processor

Which memory should I use to work synchronously with the cpu? (NOT ONLY THE SAME BANDWIDTH BUT FSB SPEED)

Consider the three P4 "types":

'A' Type: 400 MHz FSB = 4 (quad pumping) x 100 (clock speed)
'B' Type: 533 MHz FSB = 4 (quad pumping) x 133 (clock speed)
'C' Type: 800 MHz FSB = 4 (quad pumping) x 200 (clock speed)

I've read in some sites that DDR only can do double pumping
and there's only ddr400 available at this time.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Find a mobo first.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
800fsb P4s should be used with DDR400 or PC3200 ram only.

------
A64 3400+ Newcastle
1GB PC 4000 Kingston HyperX
Asus K8V basic Bios 1004
PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
63,524 Aquamarks

Luis

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
It's a shame.

DDR400 is only double pumped: = 200 Mhz x 2

While Pentium 4 is sending/receiving 4 times per clock cycle.

the right situation would be CPU and RAM quad pumping at 800 = 200 x 4.

Bah!!!!

I'll not buy a P4.

endyen

Splendid
I guess you didn't know about dual channel. Not that you should buy Intel, but thier newer chipsets do a better job of handling ram, than any chipset for the A64s (ha ha, only because on A64 system the ram is controlled by the chip, not the north bridge) or xp.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you know what they say about stupid questions...

Anyway, MATCHING CLOCKSPEED is NOT the way to make performance with the P4, matching bandwidth is. So your original question put you in the wrong direction for single channel boards.

The BEST configuration for the P4 with 400 bus (100MHz, Quad Data Rate) would be DDR400 RAM (200MHz, Dual Data Rate). Some chipsets can do that, most can't.

The EASIER solution to get peak performance is DUAL CHANNEL. But by now you're not listening, still for other readers:

The P4 has a Quad Data Rate, 64-bit bus to the memory controller. DDR SDRAM is Dual Data Rate and has a 64-bit bus to the memory controller. So a simple solution to making Dual Data Rate memory have the same bandwidth as a Quad Data Rate CPU bus is to make the memory bus twice as wide.

Therefore Dual Channel DDR400 has the same bandwidth AND bus speed as a P4 with 800 bus.

And I'm so happy Luis doesn't give a ratsass to understand the technology, AMD has a more powerfull processor anyway.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Quiet! Talk like that will get the d with an arc on his o in here.

I have no love for any of these corporations, and the least loved are Creative and VIA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>