[SOLVED] What RAM should i buy to upgrade my computer.

Aug 17, 2020
Based on CPU-Z
I have a ASUSTeK P8Z68-M Pro Motherboard
My current RAM is Kingston HyperX Limited Edition DDR3 1600MHz 8gb kit. (KHX1600C7D3X1K2/4GX)

I want to upgrade to 16gb but no one sells the same model of RAM anymore.

I just want to know what kind of 8gb RAM I should buy and what is compatible with my system so that I could upgrade to 16gb.

Should i buy the same brand of RAM?? or anything specifically.

This is my first time upgrading a computer since this unit was just given to me.

Solution
With higher resolutions you'll use more ram.

You also don't want to exceed @ 7Gb use with 8Gb of ram, windows will push off extra onto pagefile.sys and start using secondary storage. Which is usually a hdd.

It's not that there's a need for the full 16Gb, but that having the space above 7Gb is there.

Ditch the old ram, sell it (if possible) get a full 16Gb in 2x sticks. For Intels 1866MHz is good. You can't go by what the motherboard says it supports because that was what the cpu supported at time of the board release.

Iggyau

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Based on CPU-Z
I have a ASUSTeK P8Z68-M Pro Motherboard
My current RAM is Kingston HyperX Limited Edition DDR3 1600MHz 8gb kit. (KHX1600C7D3X1K2/4GX)

I want to upgrade to 16gb but no one sells the same model of RAM anymore.

I just want to know what kind of 8gb RAM I should buy and what is compatible with my system so that I could upgrade to 16gb.

Should i buy the same brand of RAM?? or anything specifically.

This is my first time upgrading a computer since this unit was just given to me.

If your motherboard information is correct then the fastest speed it will support for RAM is DDR3 1600MHz without overclocking.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68M_PRO/specifications/

So just look for a couple of 8gb DDR3 1600MHz matching sticks.

But can I ask what software are you running that you need more than 8GB RAM? I have 16gb in my laptop but the only time I come close to 8gb is using an Android emulator.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With higher resolutions you'll use more ram.

You also don't want to exceed @ 7Gb use with 8Gb of ram, windows will push off extra onto pagefile.sys and start using secondary storage. Which is usually a hdd.

It's not that there's a need for the full 16Gb, but that having the space above 7Gb is there.

Ditch the old ram, sell it (if possible) get a full 16Gb in 2x sticks. For Intels 1866MHz is good. You can't go by what the motherboard says it supports because that was what the cpu supported at time of the board release.

Solution