What ram speed should I buy?1600,1866,2133,2400,2800,2933,3200 MHz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joey249

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Im building my PC pretty soon, and I wasnt really concidering overclocking my ram, but I see some forums saying to buy higher spped memory and some saying not to without really giving any reason other than it's pointless, but then others says its not pointless?

Heres my build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€322.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€39.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€129.89 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€95.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€55.72 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€129.64 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (€17.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For €230.00)
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For €58.00)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For €60.00)
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II 28W 2ch Speakers (Purchased For €62.00)
Other: Razer Goliathus Medium CONTROL mouse-pad (Purchased For €20.00)
Other: Logitech C525 HD Webcam (720p) (Purchased For €38.00)
Total, not purchased: €1,467.20

Primerly used for gaming along with everyday use, like browsing the internet, watching movies etc along with some rendering, not alot but every once in awhile I will be rendering a few videos.

Before anyone tells me that 16GB of ram isn't needed for gaming, some games are starting to recommend 6-8GB of ram, windows takes up 2GB not even mentioning other background processes, skype etc. Its also within my budget keeping in mind that I want it somewhat future proof hence the 750w PSU.

- So back on topic, if higher speed ram does make a difference, what would it most benefit.. gaming, rendering etc.
And what would be slower because of it if anything?
- If I choose to use higher speed ram, is there any recommended types I should get?(red is preferred)
- When I goto overclock the ram, is there anything I need to watch out for? Do I need any type of extra cooling?

Any feedback is appreciated, ill be ordering the parts end of May/start of June.

Solution
Bulky, tarded pumps? Where have you been? Last I knew, those Bulky, tarded pumps were a fraction of the size of that overblown behemoth of an air cooler, the Noctua nh-d15. Or would you prefer the Cryorig R1's or Raijintek Nemesis? I actually prefer the cleanliness and openness of AIOs / CLCs just for that reason. Crushed? Soon as you figure out that thinner TIM, higher pressure on a cpu by the cooler means greater thermal efficiency, and correspondingly lower temps, not worse, then you'll have the right to spout. Until then, understand that the cpu needs to be 'crushed' for stable performance AND safety. Last thing any builder shod do is leave a cpu cooler loose. If nothing more than prevention of movement (cpus do not sit tight in the...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bulky, tarded pumps? Where have you been? Last I knew, those Bulky, tarded pumps were a fraction of the size of that overblown behemoth of an air cooler, the Noctua nh-d15. Or would you prefer the Cryorig R1's or Raijintek Nemesis? I actually prefer the cleanliness and openness of AIOs / CLCs just for that reason. Crushed? Soon as you figure out that thinner TIM, higher pressure on a cpu by the cooler means greater thermal efficiency, and correspondingly lower temps, not worse, then you'll have the right to spout. Until then, understand that the cpu needs to be 'crushed' for stable performance AND safety. Last thing any builder shod do is leave a cpu cooler loose. If nothing more than prevention of movement (cpus do not sit tight in the socket, they float on top of the pins) , and a loose cpu cooler with its nice sticky TIM can and will move the cpu in the socket due to nothing more than vibrations from the hdd.

If you believe that powering a mobo up, with it sitting on top of an antistatic bag is a good idea, we'll it's no wonder you have seen 'error code 55.'

It's ram. There are 0 guarantees that any ram will work on any board. Ram models listed on the QVL simply mean that of that particular model, the samples the company tested, performed as expected. But those are factory direct samples, not ram that's been handled, bounced, subjected to weather extremes etc like what retail sells. What should work? Any ram, from any vendor that is of the size and speed and voltage specified as supported by that particular mobo. There's no restrictions on Cas or other timings, no restrictions on color, model, heatsinks or any other extraneous bs. It just needs to be desktop ddr3 of supported size, speed and voltage in order to be expected to work.

Do ppl have favorites? Sure. G-skill makes ram that's compatible with everything I've ever seen and has reputable performance and reliability, Kingston has about the lowest return rate, their ram is about bulletproof.

And no. Ram is not oc'd by companies. That's a load of crap. Ram is a defunct bunch of silicon. It has no OC, no speed settings, no moving or electronic parts. You OC ram by yourself. If you set the ram at 2400 in your pc, remove it and put it in a friend's pc, guess what. It's not 2400. It's whatever his bios is set for. Ram is binned according to ability. Some ram will handle 2400 just fine, so is regulated as 2400 or below, some ram will handle 3000. Some won't. My Patriot IEM 1866 10-11-10-30/2 has been pushed stable at 2400 9-10-9-27/1. Just means that it failed 2800, passed 2400,but Patriot needed a batch of 1866 for the Intel Extreme Masters tournament builds, so binned high. Factory default is still 1600MHz.

Solution