What RAM to buy for Ryzen 5 1600?

danchoky

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Hello,
I want to ask you what do you think would be better to pair with R5 1600? A single channel 1x8 GB ADATA 2666 XPG or dual channel 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666 LPX? I want to mention that the mobo I've chosen- GB AB350M HD3 has only 2 slots of RAM and I am not planning any upgrades until next year.
It's a little strange that I can't find those RAM modules in the mainboard QVL.

Solution

If you prefer, these RAMs are in the mobo's QVL:

8GB (2 x 4GB): (If you are on a tight budget, this will be a good substitute to those 2 models you mentioned)
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB - (HX426C15FBK2/8)
Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($71.94 @ Amazon)

16GB (2 x 8GB): (Much recommended since you only have 2x...

Darroch192

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
I'd go for the Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB. Your mobo supports a speed of 2667MHz base and the processor does too, so any of those combinations should work.

Quality vendor lists are usually for reference as there are FAR too many brands and models to test them all officially.

Also, take a look at this Tom's Hardware thread, I found it very informative.

One more thing. If you can, try to obtain a very fast ram, or something that can be OC'd, as apparently Ryzen works incredibly better with faster ram speeds.

If you prefer, these RAMs are in the mobo's QVL:

8GB (2 x 4GB): (If you are on a tight budget, this will be a good substitute to those 2 models you mentioned)
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB - (HX426C15FBK2/8)
Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($71.94 @ Amazon)

16GB (2 x 8GB): (Much recommended since you only have 2x DIMM slots, so, you won't need to upgrade again)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB - (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($125.88 @ OutletPC)

As for 1 stick vs 2 sticks, the dual-channel speeds (using 2 sticks) would be better/faster:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsgQ9g8kuQk"][/video]

As for the memory speeds, the Ryzen CPUs tend to perform to its max. potential when using higher speed RAMs, where 3200MHz is considered the "sweet-spot". However, getting a lower speed RAM would not be the end of the world for a Ryzen system, especially when budgetary constraints and specific PC usage are factored in. Getting a 2666MHz RAM speed (or even a 2400MHz) to lower the costs would not have a very noticeable effect in performance in basic games on basic graphics. In fact, savings gained on skimping a faster-speed RAM can be best put to much better use on spending for a better GPU - which is more noticeable in gaming.

Some games do not benefit a lot from higher RAM speeds, while some games do manage to pull off slightly higher FPS:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMqC-qgHus"][/video]

Solution