Question What RAM will go best with my CPU?

Jul 9, 2024
I believe I have a bottleneck between my RAM and CPU. Because what I have should be sufficient for the games I'm playing.
Everything that matters is updated and installed. Yet I occasionally have crashes due to memory. Sometimes just the game crashes and rarely my whole system. It doesn't happen every time doing the same exact thing so hence why I believe my issue to be a bottleneck.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K, 3200 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Product PRIME Z790-P WIFI
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 22.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 33.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 22.4 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Disk SSD Kingston SFYRD4000G
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
What RAM will work best? Or am I off track on the cause of my problem?

I believe I have a bottleneck between my RAM and CPU. Because what I have should be sufficient for the games I'm playing.
Everything that matters is updated and installed. Yet I occasionally have crashes due to memory. Sometimes just the game crashes and rarely my whole system. It doesn't happen every time doing the same exact thing so hence why I believe my issue to be a bottleneck.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K, 3200 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Product PRIME Z790-P WIFI
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 22.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 33.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 22.4 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Disk SSD Kingston SFYRD4000G
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
What RAM will work best? Or am I off track on the cause of my problem?
Make and model of the psu?

Jul 9, 2024
Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that occured just before or at the time of the crashes.
I have a critical, I’m guessing from the time the system crashed and restarted.
Source- kernel power
Log- system
I looked further into it and it seems every critical was kernel power event id 41.
What I found just looking at the most recent critical kernel power 41:

Errors-
Kernel event tracing event ID 2
DevicesetupManager event ID 131
Volmgr event id 162
Application error event id 1000
Bugcheck event id 1001
Moderndeploymentdiagnosticsprovider id 1010
Tpmwmi id 1796
Eventlog id 6008

Warnings-
Wmi id 63
Hypervhyperviser id 167
Kernelpnp id 219
User device registration id 360
Lsa(lsasrv) id 6155
Distributedcom id 10016

Information-
Is there something specific you’re looking for because there is quite a few logs here.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that PSU? History of heavy use for gaming or video editing.

Not looking for anything specific. Googling Event IDs can be helpful. However, it is important to be wary of any websites that offer software, etc. to fix such errors.

One key is that increasing numbers of errors and varying errors is an indication of a faltering or failing PSU.
Reliability History/Monitors timeline format may reveal patterns. View using Days and then Weeks.

Take a look in Update History for any failed updates.

Let Window try to fix itself via the built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try running "dism" and "sfc /scannow" to find and fix any buggy or corrupted files. Easy to do.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

If the problems continue then there are still more things you can do but get more involved....

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. They do work loose over time due to heat related expansion and contraction along with vibrations.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, cracks, corrosion, pinched or kinked wires, browned or blackened areas, loose or missing screws, swollen components.

Overall the troubleshooting is often a matter of elimination.

At some point, unless some specific problem is found, you may need to swap in a known working PSU. Also as a matter of elimination.

Lastly: before doing anything ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the problem system. Verify that that backups are both recoverable and readable.

Reactions: stonecarver
Jul 9, 2024

Not looking for anything specific. Googling Event IDs can be helpful. However, it is important to be wary of any websites that offer software, etc. to fix such errors.

One key is that increasing numbers of errors and varying errors is an indication of a faltering or failing PSU.
Reliability History/Monitors timeline format may reveal patterns. View using Days and then Weeks.

Let Window try to fix itself via the built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try running "dism" and "sfc /scannow" to find and fix any buggy or corrupted files. Easy to do.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

If the problems continue then there are still more things you can do but get more involved....

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. They do work loose over time due to heat related expansion and contraction along with vibrations.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, cracks, corrosion, pinched or kinked wires, browned or blackened areas, loose or missing screws, swollen components.

At some point, unless some specific problem is found, you may need to swap in a known working PSU. Also as a matter of elimination.

Lastly: before doing anything ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the problem system. Verify that that backups are both recoverable and readable.
I’ve only had it since November and haven’t used it all that much. So aging and hard use aren’t an issue. I’ll run the troubleshoots you suggested and see if that solves anything.

Jul 9, 2024

I ran SFC command and it did find errors and fix them. I restarted ran it again and no errors detected. I ran DISM scan and no errors found. I'll wait now and see if that fixed my problem I guess.