Question What router to go with?

Which router to go with

• 1 . D-Link Taipan DSL-4320L Tri Band AC3200 ADSL2+/VDSL2 Wireless Modem Router

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. NetGear Nighthawk X4S D7800 Dual-Band Router

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3. Linksys AC5400 Tri Band Wireless Router

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

random1986

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
Hey all, so have a fairly limited budget but am looking at getting either of the routers below and am after some opinions and reasons as to which one.
D-Link Taipan DSL-4320L Tri Band AC3200 ADSL2+/VDSL2 Wireless Modem Router
  1. NetGear Nighthawk X4S D7800 Dual-Band Router
  2. Linksys AC5400 Tri Band Wireless Router
This would be primarily for a PC using an ethernet connection 1 x smart TV streaming 4k on occasion, 1 x Desktop media pc for steaming / torrents etc, 1 x laptop, 1 x ipad and 2 x mobile phones. Of course not all would be streaming at once but could be potentially connected at the same time nonetheless. I also do a fair amount of file sharing between the PC connected to the ethernet port directly and the media PC and laptop.
Thanks!

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I assume you mean the netgear R7800. There is no D7800

I bought 3 of them and they are rated a top buy. ROMs are still updated for security fixes. It's a good 4:4 router.

It supports HT160 which works with intel's wireless nics to get you over 1Gbps on 5GHz. It also supports DFS channels.

HOWEVER there is a reported glitch where WAN->LAN throughput will not exceed 340mbps on a single socket. (Likely a packet processing limitation)

Linksys makes nothing but junk now. They aren't updated and build quality is poor. A poor shadow of themselves from the Cisco days.

Edit: My bad. The D7800 does exists. I assume it's the same as the R7800 but with a built in modem.

Last edited:

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Be sure you can use all the fancy features of these routers. Using them on DSL connections is like hooking a boat trailer to your race car.
While I tacitly agree with you, there are many factors in getting a router. Even though the WAN gateway may be ridiculously slow, there are still reasons to have a high speed network within the house. NAS/Streaming/Backup applications is one. My kids run PLEX on their tablets all the time. Plus there are other applications which allow you to store data to a Network store. (Steam for example, or HDHomeRun) I could also download youtube streams at high quality and save them locally from my favorite channels (I don't need to do this as I have a decent connection. But for someone who has a low speed connection, this is worth while) Also consumer routers do better with QOS when you have a slower connection. (Your total throughput will still go down, but management of said traffic isn't artificially limited due to router processor speeds unable to handle all the traffic)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS