What RTS game should I play?

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I haven't played an RTS game for a few years, but I've played alot of C&C games when I was younger, I think I've played C&C Tiberium wars mostly before I quit RTS games, but my favorite RTS games were Homeworld and ofcourse Company Of Heroes, I've never played a better RTS game then Company of Heroes.

So I'm wondering what other good RTS games are there? I would prefer if it had a very active multiplayer and there wouldn't be a problem finding games. Also (I will probably get alot of hate for this) but don't suggest me Starcraft because I totally hate their "Theme", "Artstyle" and yeah, Games like Company of Heroes I don't feel "Nerd-ish" when I play it, unlike starcraft/warcraft... If that makes any sense.

Solution
Erm i mean you should try playing Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War, remember i used to love that, graphics may be a little dated though. A complete alternative i would recommend you try is Dawn of War 2 which is in fact squad based strategy.
Back more towards the original question, i dunno if you have played or considered the Lord Of the Rings Battle For Middle Earth series? You can get some graphics mods for the above to make it look better :p But yeah that I can think of its only really Total War or Starcraft.

However, i think you will like the new RTS called Grey Goo which is coming out some time, i think (though im not sure) that it is made by the same people who did C&C have look :)

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Ah thanks for the suggestion! However, I got a new PC a few months back so I'm aiming for something more graphically intensive, not quite in the mood to return to the ol'2D RTS games! Thanks tho!

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Hmmm, just checked "Planetary Annihilation" any input on this? Is it good? Or you haven't tried it? can't seem to find a whole lot of reviews on it.

Edit: Also I just realized Civilization V is a Turn based Game from what I understand, but I'm looking for Real time strategies game. (RTS)

DamonYoules

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Tried any of the Total War Series? I think it fits the bill if you are going to like the whole ancient civilisation thing. However it is turn based outside of the combat?

EDIT: The post about not want turn based only just got edited to include that when i was adding this post, sorry :p

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah I didn't realize Civilization V was turn based so I completely edited what I said :p I did play some medieval games back in the past can't remember which exactly. I'm aiming for something ranging from a world war 2 game to something futuristic. But i'm being way too picky here I know!

Thanks for the suggestion tho, The Total War games are definitely worth a look for me. But I still don't think I quite found what I would really like, I think I would like an RTS game that has Base Building resource gathering and building a big army, (Like C&C Generals or Company of Heroes)

Here's a list of what games I remember playing:
World Of Conflict
Age Of Empires 2 & 3
Command and Conquer (Generals)(ZeroHour) (Tiberium Wars)(Kane's Wrath) Can't remember but there were a few more
Company of Heroes
HomeWorld 1 & 2

Any other games that aren't these?

EDIT: Sorry for writing so much... TL;DR Any more suggestions? :p

DamonYoules

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Erm i mean you should try playing Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War, remember i used to love that, graphics may be a little dated though. A complete alternative i would recommend you try is Dawn of War 2 which is in fact squad based strategy.
Back more towards the original question, i dunno if you have played or considered the Lord Of the Rings Battle For Middle Earth series? You can get some graphics mods for the above to make it look better :p But yeah that I can think of its only really Total War or Starcraft.

However, i think you will like the new RTS called Grey Goo which is coming out some time, i think (though im not sure) that it is made by the same people who did C&C have look :)

Solution

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
To be perfectly honest, all of the games that were mentioned here, I either played them, or I knew about them and didn't like them... But the only game I wasn't aware of was "Grey Goo" and thanks for telling me about it, it looks quite promising, its a shame its not very popular, I guess there aren't a whole lot of RTS games out there in general if compared to other genres. I'll keep an eye out for Grey Goo and hope it'll be a good RTS game. Thanks!

Tail_TL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Ah I didn't know about those ones, but I'm aiming for new-ish games, reason is because I want to utilize my PC to the max (Graphics), and another reason is because I want an active popular community, I've remembered having trouble finding games in C&C Tiberium wars it had about 0-10 lobbies mostly it only had 0 to 4, was really fun but sad I couldn't find any decent games.

Thanks for those suggestions tho.