What' s the best way to get the best out of my monitor?

nammerduong

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I just recently bought a HD 5770 card for my rig.
I was told that : DVI>VGA, HDMI>DVI.
my video card has support for HDMI, DVI, Display port, and VGA
While my 22" LCD monitor only supports DVI and VGA.
I was told that getting a HDMI to DVI cable would improve quality/performance.

1) Can anyone explain how it would increase performance/quality?
2) also on newegg, they sort out DVI to HDMI cables and HDMI to DVI cables apart. Why is that? Is there even a difference?
3) Would adapters be a better solultion than cables?
4) What is display port and should I even care about it?

Lots of thanks to anyone who replies :D

Solution
1.) AFAIK, you wouldn't be gaining anything by going with an HDMI -> DVI connector, than a DVI -> DVI cable unless there is some special post processing that happens with HDMI.

2.) Dunno why

3.) They should be the same, adapters might add a little bit more resistance but it should be negligible.

4.) Displayport is the new standard being pushed to replace DVI. Specification wise it is going with HDMI head-to-head, but Displayport really is mostly targeted towards computer components.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
1.) AFAIK, you wouldn't be gaining anything by going with an HDMI -> DVI connector, than a DVI -> DVI cable unless there is some special post processing that happens with HDMI.

2.) Dunno why

3.) They should be the same, adapters might add a little bit more resistance but it should be negligible.

4.) Displayport is the new standard being pushed to replace DVI. Specification wise it is going with HDMI head-to-head, but Displayport really is mostly targeted towards computer components.

Solution
1) HDMI is not necessarily better than DVI. HDMI and DVI both support the same resolutions but HDMI is capable of carrying the audio on the same cable as the video. DVI carries video only. Also, HDMI is actually a consumer electronics standard as opposed to DVI being a computer standard. So, to answer your question, HDMI will not give better picture quality or a higher resolution over DVI.
2) Newegg sorts out separately HDMI to DVI and DVI to HDMI because of the differences in the male and female ends.
3) Although, technically and adapter should make no difference, it does introduce another connection point. IMO, a cable is better than an adapter.
4) As mentioned, HDMI is a consumer electronics standard, Display Port is a computer standard created to replace DVI.

For all intents and purposed, in your case, a DVI cable will work perfectly and give you the resolution and picture quality you want.

1) There is no difference in performance or quality.
HDMI is a superset of the DVI protocol that allows audio to be transferred along with the video signal.
The video signal being transferred is exactly the same with both standards.

2) No clue, should be the same thing.

3) Adapters would do the exact same thing as a converter cable.

4) DisplayPort is a display interface standard that is competing with HDMI.
The standard has several distinctive features (royalty-free, daisy-chaining, a micro-packet protocol and a few other things) but, in the end, offers the same visual experience as DVI/HDMI.
If support becomes widespread, and it looks like it might, than yes, you should care about it.