Question What SATA port to connect HDD to on my MoBo?

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Good day,

I just wanted to make sure I do it right as im reviewing my mobo's manual along with reading comms on the net and I still don't understand what SATA port to connect HDD to as I saw somewhere someone said use the lowest number port as if should be connected to SATA1, someone else said the highest as speeds may differ and so im lost :(

My new PC didn't have any HDD, so will be installing one for the first time to accompany my SSD nvme one . Below is the one I got and Im attaching my mobo's images where those sata ports are located. Could someone please enlighten me? What SATA port would I be connecting my SATA DATA Cable to? Is there a difference between 1 and 6 or whichever I have easier access to is fine? Just a side note, the HDD I got would be the primary storage drive for everything i e steam games, music, software, programs, files, videos etc, everything that can go on it will go on it while SSD is just going to be kept for operating system's needs and programs that windows would force on it by default.

PC Specs:

Current Storage: 2 TB M.2 NVMe SSD
PC: Chip: Intel Core i7 13th Gen 13700KF (3.40GHz)
RAM: 4x8 GB = 32GB DDR5 - ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 32GB DDR5 4800Mhz CL40 1.1V AX5U4800C408G-BB10
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI - 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-P-WIFI
Motherboard Manual: https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/PROZ790-P_PROZ790-PWIFI.pdf
PSU: Corsair 850W 80 Gold

123.png

123.png

1234.png

12345.png

Appreciate!

True, you can connect to any of the sata ports. I think...
Read your motherboard manual to be certain.

That said, I would reconsider your storage strategy.
You have a large and fast m.2 ssd. Put everything on it.
All apps and games will run better. Use the HDD as a backup device, preferably in a usb connected external enclosure.

Reactions: fragment0
Use the HDD as a backup device, preferably in a usb connected external enclosure.
I just want to add that a HDD in external enclosure is more prone to unwanted movements while in active reading/writing operations, that in turn can shorten the lifetime of the HDD. Cooling of HDD is often less effective in a external enclosure.

It's no correct answer to this, only what OP want - but be aware that a hdd in general is safer when mounted inside a computer compared to an usb enclosure.

A different subject, but
Inside a computer is not good backup.

Such a location is subject to fire, virus or user error.
A usb connection is only needed while the backup is taking place.
After that, the hdd should be disconnected and put in a safe place.

I just want to add that a HDD in external enclosure is more prone to unwanted movements while in active reading/writing operations, that in turn can shorten the lifetime of the HDD. Cooling of HDD is often less effective in a external enclosure.

It's no correct answer to this, only what OP want - but be aware that a hdd in general is safer when mounted inside a computer compared to an usb enclosure.
I've had plenty of hard drives in a USB enclosure. Some of the with fans too. None of them had any issues when I moved on to something else.

My external hard drives are used for backing up something anyway, so they're only on when needed.