What screen resolution to buy in a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME

I've never owned a laptop before but getting ready to
buy one this fall for student use in college

I'm looking at either the 6000..... or 700m.

I see where you can get three diff screen resolutions
in the 6000. You can get XGA, WXGA, and WUXGA.

Any advice on what to get and why?

I'm not sure what the smaller 700m is available in. I
will look in meantime.

Advice?

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:49:58 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>I've never owned a laptop before but getting ready to
>buy one this fall for student use in college
>
>I'm looking at either the 6000..... or 700m.
>
>I see where you can get three diff screen resolutions
>in the 6000. You can get XGA, WXGA, and WUXGA.
>
>Any advice on what to get and why?
>
>I'm not sure what the smaller 700m is available in. I
>will look in meantime.
>
>Advice?

I would get as much resolution as I can on a 12" screen, I would not
want to carry anything bigger, but that's just me. Good performance
in bright light would be more important to me than resolution.

Mike

Splendid

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:49:58 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

> Advice?

My advice is,

1. Sort out your newsreader - your posts are currently making you look
nameless.

2. You should have mentioned you are looking at Dell laptops....

Mike
(1400x1050 here but I'd be happy with 1024x768)

There's more to it than just the resolution. The "high-end" version of the
6000 comes with a better video card, with dedicated memory, than cheaper
versions of the 6000 or the 700m. If you do any 3-D games or 3-D drawing or
other applications, the performance difference would probably be noticable.
Otherwise probably not a big deal.