[SOLVED] What second hand card to pair with R2600x Under £200 (UK)

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Hi, so my rig died, time to get a new one, I am on a strict budget so I decided to go second hand for GPU and new everything else, what is a decent card I can pair with the R2600x for under £200 I am going to be doing a lot of video editing on the rig as well as gaming as its my job / hobby on the side so Nvidia Cuda cores would be well appreciated (I edit on adobe software only) although if il get the same editing performance or better from a AMD card il go back to team red. Already looking at a 980ti as they can be picked up around £200 not sure if that's best bang for the buck though...

Solution
Hi, so my rig died, time to get a new one, I am on a strict budget so I decided to go second hand for GPU and new everything else, what is a decent card I can pair with the R2600x for under £200 I am going to be doing a lot of video editing on the rig as well as gaming as its my job / hobby on the side so Nvidia Cuda cores would be well appreciated (I edit on adobe software only) although if il get the same editing performance or better from a AMD card il go back to team red. Already looking at a 980ti as they can be picked up around £200 not sure if that's best bang for the buck though...
980ti is a decent card but is like 5 years old now. You could pick up a second hand 1070 for £200, literally just seen one as first result...

Lutfij

Titan
Usually I come across threads where people tend to skimp out on things they shouldn't. One area is the PSU's wattage or the quality of the unit.

Might want to share the specs to your proposed build, to give you a tailored answer for the GPU.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Looking to get a Be Quiet Pure Power 11 750W...
B450M mobo MSI
M.2
16GB Vengance 3200mhz
and the preformentioned R2600x
theyre the important bits rly
Oh and it will be watercooled 2600x so overclockability….

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
980ti is a decent card but is like 5 years old now. You could pick up a second hand 1070 for £200, literally just seen one as first result on ebay for £199. Dont waste a lot of money on a water cooler, would be a better performance gain to simply buy a ryzen 2700.

Reactions: roryrocker13
Solution

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
980ti is a decent card but is like 5 years old now. You could pick up a second hand 1070 for £200, literally just seen one as first result on ebay for £199. Dont waste a lot of money on a water cooler, would be a better performance gain to simply buy a ryzen 2700.
Bit late now lol, i ordered the parts, the watercooler is just a cheap cooler master one, like £35 i realise I couldve probably got the 2700 for just a 10er more, tbh should i cancel and grab the 2700, i feel like a fool with pcs now litterally not built one since 2013 so not bothered staying in the loop with hardware... What are the stock coolers like with them? I do alot of video editing but id think maybe the core clock would become a problem in games with a stock cooler whereas a 2600x with aio would be cooler and have a higher core clock i feel like it wouldnt make much difference fps wise surely games dont utilise all 16 threads yet do they??

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Alright just picked up a palit gtx 1070 cus your right, newer card second hand is probably going to be the more robust, the seller feedback was good and it looked like they took great care of the card, still had the box ect, £210 dont think thats a bad deal, it should pair nicely with the rig and im sure il thank myself for getting a newer card in the future...

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Alright just picked up a palit gtx 1070 cus your right, newer card second hand is probably going to be the more robust, the seller feedback was good and it looked like they took great care of the card, still had the box ect, £210 dont think thats a bad deal, it should pair nicely with the rig and im sure il thank myself for getting a newer card in the future...
You wont regret that purchase, the 1070 is an amazing card and I didn't actually realise they had dropped to the £200 price point myself until I looked for one before and I wouldn't sweat the 2700, I'd say you wont notice a difference for the most part outside of synthetic benchmarks. I just always try and recomend a possible cpu upgrade over an expensive aftermarket cooler as the wraiths are pretty decent actually.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
You wont regret that purchase, the 1070 is an amazing card and I didn't actually realise they had dropped to the £200 price point myself until I looked for one before and I wouldn't sweat the 2700, I'd say you wont notice a difference for the most part outside of synthetic benchmarks. I just always try and recomend a possible cpu upgrade over an expensive aftermarket cooler as the wraiths are pretty decent actually.
Ive just got to wait till next Thursday for the rest of the setup to arrive, the card is going to come first, im getting PC withdrawals, then ive got to do the dreaded windows setup and somehow organise my 6TB of video files, should be a fun build though and its all black and silver so should look the part. Il probably be able to finally edit my 4k 10 Bit Video with relative stability now at more than 1/8th quality... And also ultra settings games, 3 months game pass with the 2600x the only time im leaving my house in the next 3 months will be for work...