Question What settings can I expect to stream at with my system?

Feb 21, 2019
I have an Intel i3 4.2 Gz processor with the build in graphics card Intel HD 630, r9 270x graphics card, 16 gb g.skill memory, and 256 SSD drive.

One of the current games I love to play I run around 80 FPS while recording 60 FPS 1080p video on StreamLabs OBS software.

What type of frame drop would I expect streaming rather than recording? I'm wanting to get into streaming soon. Had a talk with a guy who said there was no way I would be able to stream at 1080p with my system and I feel like he is wrong. If I can comfortably record at 60 FPS why couldn't I stream at the same or even 30 FPS? I release that streaming probably is a little more stressful on the system but I record with the onboard graphics and game with the external graphics. So that I'm not pulling so much stress just on the external card. I would do the same with streaming if it's possible if not what settings do you guys think I could run at?

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
No harm in trying it, that's the only real way to tell how it will perform. I would imagine if your PC can handle the game while recording, Upload speed may be another factor that would hinder the stream quality if it isn't adequate, i think minimum for 1080p streaming is 3.5Mbps. Check this, (Assuming you're using twitch) you can see how well your stream is performing.

Feb 21, 2019
No harm in trying it, that's the only real way to tell how it will perform. I would imagine if your PC can handle the game while recording, Upload speed may be another factor that would hinder the stream quality if it isn't adequate, i think minimum for 1080p streaming is 3.5Mbps. Check this, (Assuming you're using twitch) you can see how well your stream is performing.

I'll have 10 meg upload speed next week. I'll have plenty of speed for the stream. I just wanted to know if my system could handle it. Thank you for your info.

logainofhades

Titan
Streaming usually requires more threads. Even streaming cards, like the El Gato HD60 recommend an i7 4c/8t at minimum. Your dual core, 4 thread cpu is not suitable for streaming. Without changing the whole rig, and i7 7700k is your best option. On mainstream platforms, the 9900k is king, with the R7 2700 being the best price/performance streamer.

Feb 21, 2019
Streaming usually requires more threads. Even streaming cards, like the El Gato HD60 recommend an i7 4c/8t at minimum. Your dual core, 4 thread cpu is not suitable for streaming. Without changing the whole rig, and i7 7700k is your best option. On mainstream platforms, the 9900k is king, with the R7 2700 being the best price/performance streamer.

After doing some research this website says that an i3 is more than capable of streaming. The one they list is a gen 8 quad core but this quad core has only 4 threads just like my cpu has.

The cpu they listed is only 3.6 GHz where mine is 4.2 ghz stock with no overclocking. People under estimate i3 processors. People seem to think they need 16 core processors to game when almost all games only use two cores to even game on. Very few even take advantage of a 4 core processor. Recommendations are never requirements.

Also wanted to mention that I'm not planning on using cpu encoding I'm going to use the onboard graphics to encode just like I do when I'm recording at 1080p 60 fps. I'll use the Intel HD 630 graphics to encode for the stream and game on the r9 270x card I have. I've read that people stream 1080p 30 fps on old shit Intel HD 4000 series graphics.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/streaming

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
The 8th gen i3 is equivalent to a 7th gen i5. It is a pure quad core. (4c/4t) It terms of multitasking, it is superior to a 2c/4t cpu. You are living in the past, with regards to multithreading. Games are finally starting to make use of them. Even WoW is getting into the game, with it's recent DX12 optimizations, and that game is ancient.

Feb 21, 2019
The 8th gen i3 is equivalent to a 7th gen i5. It is a pure quad core. (4c/4t) It terms of multitasking, it is superior to a 2c/4t cpu. You are living in the past, with regards to multithreading. Games are finally starting to make use of them. Even WoW is getting into the game, with it's recent DX12 optimizations, and that game is ancient.

How is a 6-8% increase superior? I checked the comparison on userbenchmark.com and there is barely a difference between the two processors. To be honest after overclocking the 7350k to 4.8Ghz it out performs the 8100.

I'm still not even sure why we are talking about CPU's and how good they are anyways considering that I've already mentioned I have no intentions of streaming with the CPU. The onboard graphics is what I'll be using for streaming. People are so caught up on streaming with software that they miss the whole point of streaming with a gpu. There is no cpu that can compare to the power of a gpu for streaming/record, video encoding or anything of that sort.