[SOLVED] What settings do I change for my bios to stop auto overclocking my CPU?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I have a z490 TUF Gaming AX wifi motherboard. The cpu is an i7 10700k. Its base clock is 3.8 GHz yet the bios is forcing it to run at 5 GHz. It even runs at 5 GHz when I am idling on the desktop. What are the settings in bios that I can change to make this cpu just be at around 3.8-3.9 GHz?

Solution
AI Suite is software that would run at start-up, It might show in the notification area of taskbar - the up arrow near time

It might be installed, its on the utility tab of motherboard website
ASUS AI Suite 3 V3.00.59 for Windows 10 64-bit.
  • Performance and Power Saving Utilities V2.00.29 for Windows 10 64-bit.
  • EZ Update V3.00.11 for Windows 10 64-bit.
  • System Information V2.00.05 for Windows 10 64-bit.

it can run software overclocks, I have used it myself. If its doing same for you, you would need to uninstall it and reset bios to defaults afterwards to make sure its back to standard clocks.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
manual for motherboard has 5 pages on bios... lucky these is also a BIOS manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...UF_GAMING_Intel_400_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

it could be multi core enhancement, try setting that to disabled.
see page 17

you could reset bios to defaults but then the above setting may be on by default.

are you sure its in bios and not AI Suite running a software overclock at boot?
I have no idea if it is the AI Suite. How can I disable or check if it is the AI Suite?

Colif

Win 11 Master
AI Suite is software that would run at start-up, It might show in the notification area of taskbar - the up arrow near time

It might be installed, its on the utility tab of motherboard website
ASUS AI Suite 3 V3.00.59 for Windows 10 64-bit.
  • Performance and Power Saving Utilities V2.00.29 for Windows 10 64-bit.
  • EZ Update V3.00.11 for Windows 10 64-bit.
  • System Information V2.00.05 for Windows 10 64-bit.

it can run software overclocks, I have used it myself. If its doing same for you, you would need to uninstall it and reset bios to defaults afterwards to make sure its back to standard clocks.

Solution