Question What shall I do about this water cooler problem

Jun 4, 2020
I have a corsair h100i, I had this pc for 2 years now plus what the previous owner had it for I cant give you a actual time frame of how long i had this for but in the last week i have been hearing really bad rattling noise and squeaking noise coming from my cpu cooler block and my cpu temperatures idle around 80c and whilst doing something not even tough on the cpu it will rise up to 100c instantly.

Cpu : i7 4770k (not oc)

Picture of my temps idling

Jun 4, 2020
Sounds like the pump has failed you need to replace your cooler before using the PC again. Your hitting the 100C thermal throttling temp at just idling.
Any recommendations on what I should use I don’t have a lot of space in my pc and I am not sure if it will fit a huge air cooler but I don’t want to spend a lot of money too I was looking at the cooler master evo 212. Or shall I just go for the h100i so I don’t need to do much switching with the mounts

Last edited:
If you have 160mm room, it will be much cheaper to buy a simple tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan.
The cm hyper212 is popular because it is cheap. But, I found that it was difficult to install properly.
There are others that will work equally well and be sufficient for your 4770K.
I like the noctua coolers because they are simple to mount with effective and quiet fans.

Jun 4, 2020
If you have 160mm room, it will be much cheaper to buy a simple tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan.
The cm hyper212 is popular because it is cheap. But, I found that it was difficult to install properly.
There are others that will work equally well and be sufficient for your 4770K.
I like the noctua coolers because they are simple to mount with effective and quiet fans.
But if I wanted to just go with the h100i again the mounts should of not changed over the years or is it a bad idea

Jun 4, 2020
The H100i should still mount the same. If you go back with that make sure to save all the mounting parts in ca7se you switch to AMD in the future.
How do I confirm that I do have the h100i just to make sure i don’t have a different one and need to take out everything to mount the backplate in or do all Corsair coolers have the same back plate

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't used all of them so not sure about the mounting. You can take the side of your case off you should have a cutout and be able to access the backplate from their without removing the motherboard. You can take it off and look.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't used all of them so not sure about the mounting. You can take the side of your case off you should have a cutout and be able to access the backplate from their without removing the motherboard. You can take it off and look.

Jun 4, 2020
I have looked yes that’s how it is so noctua you said is good which one would you recommend I don’t have a big budget but so I need a huge one or can I go with a smaller one from their make or do I need 2 fans or one fan

Jun 4, 2020
So, you're back to getting an AIO? Its an H100...so, they're mostly similar to one another.

It should install exactly like the H100i you are taking out. It's going to be nearly identical in every way.
Thank you for the help Yh I have decided that I am going with the aio route again hopefully it last but thankyou for the help and do you know what temps I should be expecting normally ideal all I know it’s that it should not be 100c

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Idle will be @ 6-12°C roughly above the room ambient, but can change depending on just how good or bad the case airflow is.

Load temps gaming shouldn't be any higher than the mid 50's generally, but that can change with the loads on the cpu.

What settings you use for the fan curves also matter, silent runs slower fans, so temps are a little bit higher than standard, but performance has an aggressive curve and will ramp fans at lower temps.

So there's not going to be any 'set in stone' temps as your pc and how it gets setup varies.

Jun 4, 2020
Idle will be @ 6-12°C roughly above the room ambient, but can change depending on just how good or bad the case airflow is.

Load temps gaming shouldn't be any higher than the mid 50's generally, but that can change with the loads on the cpu.

What settings you use for the fan curves also matter, silent runs slower fans, so temps are a little bit higher than standard, but performance has an aggressive curve and will ramp fans at lower temps.

So there's not going to be any 'set in stone' temps as your pc and how it gets setup varies.
Thanks all installed now took me 2 and a half hours but it works under max load i get a max of 45c and ideal I get 30c

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I had the same issue, H100i rattling. I opened it up but couldn't see any clear problems. Tried to fill it up with more water, problem persisted. It was 5-6 years old, about time for it to die.

I also went with the h100x, the cheapo. What you loose is the RGB (You get one color, doesn't matter to me) and Corsair iCue software control doesn't work IIRC. I control temps and fans via motherboard so that isn't a problem either. Is it iCue it's called? I don't remember, anyway, it was a set it and forget it deal anyways.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
5-6 years is right about standard expected life cycle of an aio. You have basically an anti-freeze type, bio-inhibitive coolant that over time will eventually start breaking down chemically, which even with low evaporation hoses, still will allow the coolant to thicken, turn goopy, allow fungus growth etc.

It's no different to the oil in a car, it's only good for so many miles before you start getting sludge buildup.

After that starts happening, the pump has to start working a lot harder to move the coolant, until it reaches the point of basically burning out. Most people just claim that as pump failure, but it's really coolant failure domino affect.

A marathon runner can run 26miles with out stopping. Flat miles. Make him start running up a progressively steeper hill and he's going to fail before hitting the finish line.

TRENDING THREADS