[SOLVED] what shorting the green and black cable on the 24-pin ATX connector does

samsiun

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
I've been troubleshooting my pc here
I moved this specific question here as the power supply tag seems a lot more relevant. I'd like to test the psu itself now, as I'm guessing the short circuit protection is what's making it turn itself off (it's an FSP Hexa+ 500W). someone on that thread suggested me to power up the PSU only.

my question is if I bridge the green and black cables, either with another cable or a paperclip, what does it do? as far as I understand, it makes the PSU "think" that it's already turned on, so it'll start working. however, would it be able to shut itself off if the SCP or other protection methods cuts it, even if the paperclip/cable is still on the green and black cable? do I need to put off the paperclip/cable after bridging it?

Solution
It's a random guess tbh, my pc instantly shuts itself off every time I power it on,

I'm just going to guess that your PSU is just dead. Did you manage to turn it on standalone ?

would you mind explaining "cycle the power switch on it"?

Flick the switch on it off, probably waiting a minute and flick it back on.

Soo that means if I short the green and black cables, it will be the same as "pressing/holding the power button all the time", not "pressing it once"?

If you bridge it, as in you short it and keep it shorted then yes, you essentially press and hold the button. If you just short it for a second it would equivalent of pressing a button once. It's not dangerous, just get a paper clip and short green...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
  1. If it shuts down due to SCP it would latch off, you can't turn it back on unless you cycle the power switch on it. What makes you think it's SCP shutdown ?
  2. Shorting (not bridging) green and black cables on 24-pin ATX connector is essentially the same as pressing the button on the case or shorting PWR_ON jumper on the motherboard. If you'll bridge it then it will shut down after a few seconds as if you're still pressing the power button.

samsiun

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
  1. If it shuts down due to SCP it would latch off, you can't turn it back on unless you cycle the power switch on it. What makes you think it's SCP shutdown ?
It's a random guess tbh, my pc instantly shuts itself off every time I power it on, and right now it's down to the psu triggering something that cuts the power or the motherboard being broken (see the thread I linked). By the way, would you mind explaining "cycle the power switch on it"?

Shorting (not bridging) green and black cables on 24-pin ATX connector is essentially the same as pressing the button on the case or shorting PWR_ON jumper on the motherboard. If you'll bridge it then it will shut down after a few seconds as if you're still pressing the power button.
Soo that means if I short the green and black cables, it will be the same as "pressing/holding the power button all the time", not "pressing it once"?

my bad if I'm catching up slowly, English isn't my native language.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It's a random guess tbh, my pc instantly shuts itself off every time I power it on,

I'm just going to guess that your PSU is just dead. Did you manage to turn it on standalone ?

would you mind explaining "cycle the power switch on it"?

If you bridge it, as in you short it and keep it shorted then yes, you essentially press and hold the button. If you just short it for a second it would equivalent of pressing a button once. It's not dangerous, just get a paper clip and short green and any black connectors, you can do that with bare hands even.

Solution

samsiun

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
I'm just going to guess that your PSU is just dead. Did you manage to turn it on standalone?
Standalone as in turning on just the psu or with the essentials (mobo, cpu, ram)? I couldn't get it to start with only the mobo, cpu, ram, as it shuts itself off after around 2 seconds. Running the psu alone is my aim right now.

This is odd but my psu doesn't have a switch... Will unplugging and plugging in back the power cable do the same thing?

just get a paper clip and short green and any black connectors, you can do that with bare hands even.
Many tutorials show that same method, inserting a paperclip to the green and black connectors. Will that be considered shorting or bridging? Does the paperclip stay in the cables?

samsiun

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
No, insert it for a split second, that's enough.
Alright that answers my question I guess, so thanks for helping out.

Another question I do have is how long would it take for the power supply to "reset" after having a protection shutdown? Yesterday I turn it on for every 10-30 minutes and it won't work, today I tried again (after leaving it off for more than 24 hours) and it's working.

samsiun

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
Another thing, I noticed when I plug the HDD cables (sata and power) my power button LED flickers, but when I unplug the cables or just connect one of them the flicker stops. I used another sata cable to check if it's the culprit but it keeps flickering. Is it possible the cable from the psu to the HDD is somehow not working properly?

I'm trying to claim the warranty for this psu but I'm not sure what the damage description should be because it's now working again, but I know it'll start turning off again in a few days just like before.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Another thing, I noticed when I plug the HDD cables (sata and power) my power button LED flickers,

You sure you didn't connect PWD_LED to HDD_LED and vice versa ?

I'm not sure what the damage description should be because it's now working again, but I know it'll start turning off again in a few days just like before.

Just say that it's unstable.

samsiun

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
You sure you didn't connect PWD_LED to HDD_LED and vice versa ?
I checked it, thanks for asking, I reseated it just in case. Still does the same.

Just say that it's unstable.
I didn't think of that, thanks. By the way I noticed that it won't turn on if in the previous usage I use it for gaming. Can heat affect it? But doing a power cycle would turn it back on.