Question What should be in Windows 10 Start Menu folder?

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I'm having trouble understanding how Windows 10's Start Menu works. In Win 7, "Start Menu" meant programs you wanted to start up when you booted up your pc, right? This Win 10 Start Menu system has me seriously confused, and the Microsoft (un)help pages aren't. It appears that in Win 10 "Start Menu" has nothing to do with the previous definition, but instead is just a handy shortcut menu.

Currently, my "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" folder has two folders in it: "Programs" and "Oculus". The Programs folder has a list of what looks like all the programs on my system in it, except Oculus. Is Oculus supposed to be inside the Programs folder? Oculus dashboard opens every single time I boot or wake up my pc and it's extremely annoying, is that what is causing this? Been searching the 'net for answers to no avail. Any info appreciated.

There should be an option in the Oculus program that opens to turn off start at boot. "Start Menu" is not the "Startup" folder you may be thinking about. The programs that start can be controlled directly through the Registry or through Task Manager Startup tab in Windows (msconfig also leads you there) but it's better to do it directly through the program you are trying to set it for than through other methods.

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Thank you for the reply, @hang-the-9. The Oculus app does not appear to have a setting to prevent it from booting at startup, only a setting to prevent it from booting when you put on the headset. That's one of the first places I looked. My main question is what should be in the Win10 Start Menu folder. I don't understand why all my other program folders are inside Start Menu/Programs, but the Oculus folder is outside of the Programs folder. Did it install in the wrong folder? It's literally the only program I've ever had that boots itself when I wake up my pc, and it's SUPER annoying as it hangs everything else up and is slow to open, so I have to sit there and wait for it to load so I can close it.

Thank you for the reply, @hang-the-9. The Oculus app does not appear to have a setting to prevent it from booting at startup, only a setting to prevent it from booting when you put on the headset. That's one of the first places I looked. My main question is what should be in the Win10 Start Menu folder. I don't understand why all my other program folders are inside Start Menu/Programs, but the Oculus folder is outside of the Programs folder. Did it install in the wrong folder? It's literally the only program I've ever had that boots itself when I wake up my pc, and it's SUPER annoying as it hangs everything else up and is slow to open, so I have to sit there and wait for it to load so I can close it.

Whoever wrote the program put the folder for it there, you can always see if moving it or deleting it does anything. But about the fact that it starts automatically, that is not why.

Reactions: Halo Diehards

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I will add the suggestion to look for Oculus references in Task Scheduler.

Not knowing much about how to make my way around Task Scheduler, I booted it up and clicked on the Task Scheduler Library and nothing about Oculus is in there. I also looked in the Task Status and nothing is listed at all, which can't be right because I know tasks like my backup have run (I checked for last 30 days, last 24 hours and last hour - - all empty). Scrolled through Active Tasks and don't see anything there that clearly relates to Oculus. Don't see a place to search.

Ralston18

Titan
How do you know that the backups have run?

Not debating that issue per se as the backups may well have run and were logged (?) as having done so.

But if the the back up folders/locations are "all empty" then some configuration change may have occurred. Accidently or by some app doing so via a default setting.

Double check the path configurations for your backups.