What should be my realistic expectations in selling or trading my laptop?

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
So I want to go to a desktop. I already have a decent portable gaming laptop (Ryzen 7 3750h 4c/8t, 16GB ram, RTX 2060) I got this in a trade and it does great on its 15.6" 1080p display. But due to getting it, I decided I didn't need to gaming laptops.

My older gaming laptop has been a desktop for the past 3 months or so now. (hooked up to 2x 2560x1440 displays, keyboard and mouse.)

In trying to trade or sell it what should I be looking for price wise (I spent $1600 on it 2 years ago before upgrading some of it's parts which will be noted below).

Specs:
Intel i7-7700hq
32GB ram (upgraded from 16GB)
500GB NVME SSD (upgraded from no drive)
1TB m.2 mSATA SSD (had a 256GB)
1TB 2.5" SSD (upgraded from a 1TB HDD)
GTX 1070 8GB gpu
17.3" 75hz 1080p g-sync display
It is an Acer Predator 17"
I do have the box for it too, though I've found that not everyone seems to mind this missing, still it's a nice to have and is included seeing as I've no use for it.
I also planned on including a North Face Backpack with it too that I bought specially for the laptop as none of my other 17" laptop bags could carry this laptop. Now I didn't care about the brand and not really factoring the brand of the bag into my equation, it's just not being kept due to it being bought specifically for the Acer laptop. Pretty much just including it to sweeten the deal a bit I guess? That and I already have a bag I love and use for my newer laptop.

I would classify it as in real good or maybe like new condition body wise and has been babied since I got it.

I'm wondering price wise what I should ask for it and also if someone trades me I should look for too. I don't see a point in trading a laptop for a desktop that has LESSER performance, as the user is getting both an upgrade in performance AND portability, but after being turned down on multiple offers and some saying they WANTED to get a laptop as well as turning down multiple cash offers for my own laptop for what I believed were low-ball offers I'm wondering if my expectations are maybe a bit high? I was asking $1,400 with an 'obo' included but was getting offers of $750-900. (The $900 was one person). I would also look at desktop setups for sale in the price range of $1,000-$1400 and even looked to see if they where wanting a laptop so it would raise the chances of a trade happening. I would also state that I don't need the monitor or peripherals as I already had my own, thus to show I only wanted to trade for the tower, not the whole setup. Most setups where slightly lesser specced in say the ram or storage space, but the gpu's where anywhere from gtx 1070's, rtx 2060's and even a gtx 1080 was mixed in there. (I went by prices too remember).

Am I doing something wrong, am I overvaluing my laptop even after it's upgrades? What am I looking at realistically. And should I maybe just say screw it and keep the laptop as the market doesn't seem to be there? I'm spec smart....but when it comes to reading the market, not so. It's why I never got into bitcoins etc. Any and all help would be....will helpful.

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that has depreciated way more than $200 since you bought it, even with your additions.

A lot of storage, I would just keep those SSDs and move it back to the 2.5" Basically a high end 3 year old system.

Brand new i7-9750H + RTX2060 + 1TB NVMe SSD + 32GB of memory. 144hz display no less, $1350, and that is with zero effort in finding a good deal.

You'll have to find someone who is willing to pay for a used system, and wants that much storage. I don't think that is going to happen. Anyone with that knowledge is going to buy that newer system, add the storage.

Those $900 offers are somewhat reasonable if you remove the excess storage. Could even consider keeping half the memory.

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, that has depreciated way more than $200 since you bought it, even with your additions.

A lot of storage, I would just keep those SSDs and move it back to the 2.5" Basically a high end 3 year old system.

Brand new i7-9750H + RTX2060 + 1TB NVMe SSD + 32GB of memory. 144hz display no less, $1350, and that is with zero effort in finding a good deal.

You'll have to find someone who is willing to pay for a used system, and wants that much storage. I don't think that is going to happen. Anyone with that knowledge is going to buy that newer system, add the storage.

Those $900 offers are somewhat reasonable if you remove the excess storage. Could even consider keeping half the memory.
What about resale of my newer laptop? The one with the RTX 2060? It has a 500GB NVME SSD, and a 1TB 2.5" SSD in it (didn't come with any 2.5" stock before) Still has some warranty left until like March or April I think. Would I get more for it or is it at about the same? It's an Asus TUF gaming laptop.