Question What should I be looking for? (CPU)

Colwow

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
I currently have a Ryzen 5 5600X, its a very good processor for gaming but I'm looking to upgrade it since I also want to stream and work on it.

The programs I use for work are: Unity - Blender - DaVinci Resolve and Adobe (Photoshop and Illustrator).

Im not a Amd fan, but I have a very tight budget (350€) to upgrade the CPU and motherboard if i go to Intel.

My current setup :
MB : MSI TOMAHAWK B550
CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU - 6800XT BE (BLACK EDITION)
RAM - 32GB 3200mhz
Storage - 2 x Samsung Nvme 1TO
PSU - 750W

Thanks for the help.

5900x or 5959x for your stated usage. Get a good cpu cooler and about as good as you can get on the B550.

Last edited:

Colwow

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
5900x or 5959x for your stated usage. Get a good cpu cooler and about as good as you can get on the B550.

Currently I have the Arctic Freezer II 360mm is it good enough?

Reactions: GarrettL
You have almost no options at that price. You really only have 2 cpu choices a 5700x and a 5900x with the 5900x being right around your 350 range depending where you get it.

You need to find benchmarks that compare the application you think you will use and see the comparisons between a 5600x and a 5900x.

There is a increase but does it justify spending that kind of money, only you can decide.

Maybe you get lucky and the new price drop on intel 12th gen stuff will help but a 5600x is a fairly powerful cpu.

Reactions: Colwow

Colwow

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
You have almost no options at that price. You really only have 2 cpu choices a 5700x and a 5900x with the 5900x being right around your 350 range depending where you get it.

You need to find benchmarks that compare the application you think you will use and see the comparisons between a 5600x and a 5900x.

There is a increase but does it justify spending that kind of money, only you can decide.

Maybe you get lucky and the new price drop on intel 12th gen stuff will help but a 5600x is a fairly powerful cpu.

I will wait and see.

For a huge performance boost on the usage I pretend to do, what side should turn into Intel or Amd? (And how much do it will cost me, Price range)

Thanks for the reply :)

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I currently have a Ryzen 5 5600X, its a very good processor for gaming but I'm looking to upgrade it since I also want to stream and work on it.

The programs I use for work are: Unity - Blender - DaVinci Resolve and Adobe (Photoshop and Illustrator).

Im not a Amd fan, but I have a very tight budget (350€) to upgrade the CPU and motherboard if i go to Intel.

My current setup :
MB : MSI TOMAHAWK B550
CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU - 6800XT BE (BLACK EDITION)
RAM - 32GB 3200mhz
Storage - 2 x Samsung Nvme 1TO
PSU - 750W

Thanks for the help.
They just posted a story here on Tom's Hardware stating that Intel is going to be dropping the price of Alder lake (gen 12) cpus by around 20% soon.

You might want to wait a few days or so until those price drops manifest into the supply channel.

You might find Intel to be the WTG at that point.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...over-20-price-cuts-for-alder-lake-cpus-report

I don't know where in the world you are but since you're using Euros, I found that the R9-5900X is available in Germany for 345€ at MindFactory. That's as good an upgrade for productivity as you're going to be able to get for that price range. It should be theoretically twice as fast as the R5-3600X because it has 12 cores compared with the R5-3600X's six cores.
Blender-o.png

The R9-5950X would've been the best option but it's 490€ which is way out of your price range.

Colwow

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
I don't know where in the world you are but since you're using Euros, I found that the R9-5900X is available in Germany for 345€ at MindFactory. That's as good an upgrade for productivity as you're going to be able to get for that price range. It should be theoretically twice as fast as the R5-3600X because it has 12 cores compared with the R5-3600X's six cores.
CB20-1-o.png

The R9-5950X would've been the best option but it's 490€ which is way out of your price range.

Im in France

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Colwow

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
They just posted a story here on Tom's Hardware stating that Intel is going to be dropping the price of Alder lake (gen 12) cpus by around 20% soon.

You might want to wait a few days or so until those price drops manifest into the supply channel.

You might find Intel to be the WTG at that point.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...over-20-price-cuts-for-alder-lake-cpus-report

What 12th gen cpu should I look at (for my usage) and since I need to change motherboard any suggestions ?

Thanks for the reply :)

See post #2 for comparisons. The 5600x is 6 cores and the 5900x is 12, yeah the 5900 is better in this case for the OP's usage. In the linked Adobe test the 12600k is just ever so slightly faster than the 5900x.

Buy another motherboard and cpu going Intel or just a cpu with AMD for basically the same performance.

Colwow

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
See post #2 for comparisons. The 5600x is 6 cores and the 5900x is 12, yeah the 5900 is better in this case for the OP's usage. In the linked Adobe test the 12600k is just ever so slightly faster than the 5900x.

Buy another motherboard and cpu going Intel or just a cpu with AMD for basically the same performance.
Is this motherboard good ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4? (For the i5-12600k and my 3200mhz ram)

It will run that cpu but asus boards tend to be pricey. If cost is a consideration you might want to look at other boards that use the b660 chipset. Also note you need to use a "Z" board to use most the overclock ability of a "k" cpu. You will save money buying a non "K" device if you are not going to buy a fancy motherboard also.

So here is the trick you need to do when you have parts you want to see. What you do is go to the vendor page and look for what is called QVL. This has a list of cpu memory etc that they have tested with the board. It will list things like BIOS level required, for example you can run 13th gen cpu in that board but it needs a hihger bios level. After you do the cpu look at your memory and find the exact parts. 3200 is considered overclocked memory so it is best if you find your parts on the list. The other difference is amd memory does not use a XMP table so you might have to manually set the memory clocks to get it to run over the default 2133.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c..._cpu/?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B660-PLUS-WIFI-D4

Colwow

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
It will run that cpu but asus boards tend to be pricey. If cost is a consideration you might want to look at other boards that use the b660 chipset. Also note you need to use a "Z" board to use most the overclock ability of a "k" cpu. You will save money buying a non "K" device if you are not going to buy a fancy motherboard also.

So here is the trick you need to do when you have parts you want to see. What you do is go to the vendor page and look for what is called QVL. This has a list of cpu memory etc that they have tested with the board. It will list things like BIOS level required, for example you can run 13th gen cpu in that board but it needs a hihger bios level. After you do the cpu look at your memory and find the exact parts. 3200 is considered overclocked memory so it is best if you find your parts on the list. The other difference is amd memory does not use a XMP table so you might have to manually set the memory clocks to get it to run over the default 2133.

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c..._cpu/?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B660-PLUS-WIFI-D4
Thanks, I will look :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts