[SOLVED] What should i be upgrading first ?

Sep 30, 2020
Hello guys , long time lurking, read a lot of posts, but my time came to start slowly upgrading my PC.
I mostly use it for gaming and generally more newer type of games from big publishers e.g AAA games.

I'm able to only upgrade 1-2 pieces at a time at the moment so i can't figure out whats the best choice here,
my current specs are :
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Corsair 16GB Kit(2x8GB) 3200Mhz RGB(they are in fact running at 3200 with no problem i often triple check it :D )
Palit NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
MSI B350 Tomahawk Motherboard

I was given advise that maybe i should go for the GPU and get a 2080 or a 3070, but my worries is always bottleneck, which
i dont know much of, except what i read from other peoples experience and dillemas.

Not sure where i should go from here, since my upgrade options are a bit limited to 1 or 2 components.
Thanks in advance and sorry for another upgrade post :)

Solution
So, based on that, you don't need a 2080 Super for high-Ultra 1440p gaming.

A 2070 Super will do Ultra on most 1440p games just fine, and high-ultra or ultra on a lot of games. In fact, if you turn down just one or two settings on most games, from the ultra preset, the 2070 Super should be capable of hitting anywhere from 70-150fps on most of them, based on GPU performance. Obviously, the CPU you have is going to limit that and potentially make it not possible until that too is upgraded. But for anything that is primarily GPU bound, it will do very well.

Look at the 2070 Super 1440p benchmarks here. You'll need to click on 1440p in the box for each game and then scroll down to 2070 Super to see the scores...
You can't worry about a bottleneck if you are going to upgrade "piecemeal" like. There's going to be a bottleneck no matter what, unless you upgrade CPU and GPU card at the same time. That's just how it is, there's no changing that. Either you upgrade the CPU and the graphics card is not up to the task or the other way around. So forget about that until later.

What resolution and refresh rate are you going to be gaming at AND what level of quality settings are you willing to live with? What is the model of your display and does it have Freesync or G-sync?

What is your budget for THIS stage of the upgrade process?

Sep 30, 2020
You can't worry about a bottleneck if you are going to upgrade "piecemeal" like. There's going to be a bottleneck no matter what, unless you upgrade CPU and GPU card at the same time. That's just how it is, there's no changing that. Either you upgrade the CPU and the graphics card is not up to the task or the other way around. So forget about that until later.

What resolution and refresh rate are you going to be gaming at AND what level of quality settings are you willing to live with? What is the model of your display and does it have Freesync or G-sync?

What is your budget for THIS stage of the upgrade process?

Currently im at 1080p, but im planning to move to 1440p(as soon as possible) , I'm fine living with High-Ultra quality, if possible
And i dont necesserily want anything above 120 fps, anything between 60-120 is ok for me , as im getting a monitor nothing above 1440@120.

Currently my budget is kind of flexible, but nothing above the price of a 2080 Super, im giving the 2080 Super as its what i was thinking of going for possibly if its a good upgrade, but decided to get some opinion on the subject.

A 2070 Super will do Ultra on most 1440p games just fine, and high-ultra or ultra on a lot of games. In fact, if you turn down just one or two settings on most games, from the ultra preset, the 2070 Super should be capable of hitting anywhere from 70-150fps on most of them, based on GPU performance. Obviously, the CPU you have is going to limit that and potentially make it not possible until that too is upgraded. But for anything that is primarily GPU bound, it will do very well.

Look at the 2070 Super 1440p benchmarks here. You'll need to click on 1440p in the box for each game and then scroll down to 2070 Super to see the scores.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-09-25-geforce-rtx-2070-super-benchmarks-7001

Even the 1% minimum FPS are very good at ultra 1440p with this card.

At most, from Turing, an RTX 2080 would be the most I'd ever recommend paying for a 1440p machine, and you could get by very well with a 2070 Super. I realize you are from a region that probably doesn't get hardware, and at reasonable prices, as early or commonly as some other regions, but if you can do so, it would definitely be worth looking at maybe going with a 3070 instead. That card, from early evidence, looks to probably get about 30FPS min/1% higher than the 2070 Super at about the same price, give or take a small variance in price. A thought anyhow, if the 30 series is something that will be reasonably available to you over the next couple of months. Certainly it would be an option that has much better "legs" than the 2070 Super or any higher tiered 20 series cards.

And regardless of which way you go, that would probably be the first investment that could traditionally be recommended.

Secondly, the Ryzen 5000 series desktop parts are supposed to be released soon, but I believe it would require you to buy a new motherboard as well because I don't think the 5000 series (There will reportedly not be ANY Ryzen 4000 series desktop parts and 4000 series will be reserved for naming only mobile parts) is going to be supported on B350 at all. So, you could look at a 3000 series upgrade, like the 3600, 3600x or 3700x, all of which would give you a very good bump in performance from your 1st gen Ryzen CPU, or better yet, plan to also replace the motherboard along with a new CPU, for Ryzen 5000 series parts. A Ryzen 5000 series 6 or 8 core processor, in whatever flavor is most affordable for you, would give you plenty of gaming firepower to go with any of the discussed graphics cards for 144fps machine.

Solution
Sep 30, 2020

Look at the 2070 Super 1440p benchmarks here. You'll need to click on 1440p in the box for each game and then scroll down to 2070 Super to see the scores.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-09-25-geforce-rtx-2070-super-benchmarks-7001

Even the 1% minimum FPS are very good at ultra 1440p with this card.

At most, from Turing, an RTX 2080 would be the most I'd ever recommend paying for a 1440p machine, and you could get by very well with a 2070 Super. I realize you are from a region that probably doesn't get hardware, and at reasonable prices, as early or commonly as some other regions, but if you can do so, it would definitely be worth looking at maybe going with a 3070 instead. That card, from early evidence, looks to probably get about 30FPS min/1% higher than the 2070 Super at about the same price, give or take a small variance in price. A thought anyhow, if the 30 series is something that will be reasonably available to you over the next couple of months. Certainly it would be an option that has much better "legs" than the 2070 Super or any higher tiered 20 series cards.

And regardless of which way you go, that would probably be the first investment that could traditionally be recommended.

Secondly, the Ryzen 5000 series desktop parts are supposed to be released soon, but I believe it would require you to buy a new motherboard as well because I don't think the 5000 series (There will reportedly not be ANY Ryzen 4000 series desktop parts and 4000 series will be reserved for naming only mobile parts) is going to be supported on B350 at all. So, you could look at a 3000 series upgrade, like the 3600, 3600x or 3700x, all of which would give you a very good bump in performance from your 1st gen Ryzen CPU, or better yet, plan to also replace the motherboard along with a new CPU, for Ryzen 5000 series parts. A Ryzen 5000 series 6 or 8 core processor, in whatever flavor is most affordable for you, would give you plenty of gaming firepower to go with any of the discussed graphics cards for 144fps machine.

Hey thanks for the reply, i didn't really mean to not reply for so long, i was just a bit in a binder with real life and family problems and could not get back to thank you !

So far i understand all, and considering i wont ever get any great monitor above what i specified, considering im just now planning to upgrade from 1080p 60hz to the 1440p, i decided to go with a 2070 Super, so far its the perfect amount money wise in my country and the 3070 doesnt look like will be coming anytime soon for us at least, we already had super limitations around the 3080, but that is future talk.
Therefore my plan is to go with the 2070 Super and eventually upgrade to a 3600 ryzen or if by the time i save some money i could just swap the MOBO and go for the 5000 series they just announced, but considering i'm the type of person who enjoys high graphics and stable 60fps i dont mind spending enough to satisfy those needs. Generally from my GPU upgrade now to 2070 Super it will be at least 6 months before i upgrade the CPU so most likely the Ryzen 5000 will be a good update.

Thanks again for the comprehensive answer and hope i didn't shame myself by having such a late reply, sometimes life hits you ^^