What should I buy for an upgrade (520$ budget)

Toji

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
I was thinking for a couple of days. please help me guys
I will do an upgrade on my old 2nd gen i3. Budget for board and cpu is 520$

should I get Ryzen 1700 which is 359$ here in Philippines.
or should I get Intel core i7 7700 which costs around 357$ here.
or i5 7600 which costs 228$ here and get some SSD's for the extra budget?

paired with b250m intel / b350m ryzen board which costs 139$

Between the three cpu's. what should I get? I play games casually and I have gtx 1050ti. pls consider the upcoming years of which CPU will still compete in year 2018-2019

Thanks guys.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
It is hard to say with Ryzen as it has only just come out and so far performs below the i7-7700 in gaming but AMD claims to be working on this issue so who knows. It having more cores and threads could make it a more viable option in the future if games begin to utilize them more but no one can say for certain how the industry will continue with core allocation/utilisation. Since you said you just want to play games casually an i5-7600 would be a fine pairing with the GTX 1050 Ti and means you will have plenty left over for the Motherboard and a grab a nice SSD as you said. You could also grab the i7-7700 if you want it to last longer since it's a stronger CPU but you won't really need it with your GTX 1050 Ti in most cases it would hold it back long before the CPU is too weak to keep up. So my suggestion overall is the i5-7600 + SSD but you could consider the i7-7700 if you want to spend more on the CPU now and have it last longer but note your GPU will bottleneck it within a few years. Ryzen is a nice lineup but i can't recommend one for gaming considering the price and the fact that they have poor gaming performance compared to standard i5/i7 at the current time. Hope this helps :)

Toji

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
Thank you so much! but hmm, how about ryzen 5? some rumors said that ryzen 5 is amd's gaming processor in their new zen project. should I wait for it before buying?

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

Depends how desperate you are. I think waiting for Ryzen 5 is a great idea but if you desperately want an upgrade now then Kaby Lake i5/i7 are here if you need them :)

I very much hope Ryzen 5 can combat Intel in the mainstream line so we can get the competition and variety the market desperately needs.

Toji

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017

thank you so much! I think i'll wait first for ryzen 5 before deciding to take i5 7600 :)