[SOLVED] what should i chose raid or ahci or something else for 1 sata ssd + 1 hdd system?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
hi, my cpu i5-4670k, gpu - 1050ti, mobo- gigabyte z87x-ud3h, bios version F10b, psu corsair cs650 , ram 4x4gb @1600 mhz, windows10.
i have a 1 tb sata hdd, now i have decided to add a 500gb sata ssd. i will run windows and games on that ssd. i never used ssd before. for best performance what should i chose raid or ahci or something else? if raid is the best option then should i chose raid 0? plz help me out.

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you, i'm not expert about these things. Can u plz tell me if there any other better option than ahci/raid? Also can u plz tell me why not should i use raid? By googling i see that raid have advantage of adding redundancy and data protection to clustered drives, should i ignore this advantage of raid? Forgive me if my questions are stupid.
OK, RAID.

RAID 1 is mirrored. Data mirrored across 2 or more drives, for physical drive redundancy. Not 'data protection'.
But you get 1x the size of the smallest drive, and the performance of the slowest.
With your two drives...500GB SSD and 1TB HDD, yoiu get a 500GB volume that runs at the speed of an HDD. Totally not what you want.

A properly configured RAID 1 might be helpful...

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
AHCI.
Ignore anything "RAID" related.
Thank you, i'm not expert about these things. Can u plz tell me if there any other better option than ahci/raid? Also can u plz tell me why not should i use raid? By googling i see that raid have advantage of adding redundancy and data protection to clustered drives, should i ignore this advantage of raid? Forgive me if my questions are stupid.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, RAID.

RAID 1 is mirrored. Data mirrored across 2 or more drives, for physical drive redundancy. Not 'data protection'.
But you get 1x the size of the smallest drive, and the performance of the slowest.
With your two drives...500GB SSD and 1TB HDD, yoiu get a 500GB volume that runs at the speed of an HDD. Totally not what you want.

A properly configured RAID 1 might be helpful if you were hosting a webstore, and any actual unscheduled downtime = actual lost sales.
A RAID 1 would let the system limp along until such time (the next day) as you can schedule downtime to replace the failed drive, fail over to some other temp backup, and rebuild the array.

Such a system ALSO needs an actual backup of the data. RAID 1 does nothing for your data.
For instance...if your system were affected by a ransomware virus, that RAID 1 does nothing. Many large companies and govt organizations are finding this out.

Better options?
Your actual data is much better protected with an actual backup routine.
In need, you slot in a new drive, and recover from the backup that ran last night. Little if anything is "lost".

Reactions: eziowar
Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
OK, RAID.

A properly configured RAID 1 might be helpful if you were hosting a webstore, and any actual unscheduled downtime = actual lost sales.
A RAID 1 would let the system limp along until such time (the next day) as you can schedule downtime to replace the failed drive, fail over to some other temp backup, and rebuild the array.

Such a system ALSO needs an actual backup of the data. RAID 1 does nothing for your data.
For instance...if your system were affected by a ransomware virus, that RAID 1 does nothing. Many large companies and govt organizations are finding this out.

Better options?
Your actual data is much better protected with an actual backup routine.
In need, you slot in a new drive, and recover from the backup that ran last night. Little if anything is "lost".
Thank you so much , i really really appreciate it. I'm going with ahci then, and i have some questions about migrating my operating system to ssd but think thats gonna need a new post. Really i cant thank you much for your valuable input and time.

Reactions: beers