Question What should I do about cleaning network ?

editor1

Commendable
May 9, 2017
Hi
I had a home invasion and no items stolen. There was evidence that the person sat down in pc chair. My acct's have been messed with. I keep all of my accts and passwords on a text file. So its either data theft or keyloggers. I have OMV NAS(Odroid SBC), 2 tablets, mifi Router(at&t cellular internet) 3 phone's and 2 laptop's that all use the same network. One tablet, desktop, one laptop,one phone, the nas and the mifi router was possibly physically tampered with. What should I throw away ? Ram, graphics card, tablets, phones, HDD, SSD, SD cards and so on ? And what order should I do cleaning up if kept ? Do I do firmware flash first than partition(for MBR virus) then format ? I am a very poor person based on possession(money).

britechguy

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
The probability of someone coming into a home for a cyber attack is incredibly, and I do mean incredibly, remote.

They were probably far more interested in rummaging through your desk.

"Possibly tampered with" means just that, "possibly." Is there anything at all that suggests it was actually tampered with?

You say that your accounts have been messed with. In precisely what way? It takes a long while to log in to a great many accounts, though if your account and password list was stolen I would be very worried about possible compromise. The best thing to do, and you should do it anyway, is to promptly change all those account passwords and enable 2-step verification where possible. This should be done on a machine and network known to be clean (that is, someone else's) until enough watchful waiting can be done to ascertain precisely what, if any, local (as in on your LAN) compromises occurred. These would be way down the target list compared to the ability to log in to banking accounts.

Most computer hacking of any sort is not done "just because it's amusing" but with a very specific idea in mind: theft. Whether that theft be transferring an individual's money out of bank accounts or trying to assume their identity is an open question. Poking around in someone's router when robbing their house is not something generally done because there's no reward in it.

This sort of thing is generally of a "smash and grab" nature, and most of what you list would not be a part of that sort of undertaking.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
The backstory on this:

editor1

Commendable
May 9, 2017
ok so most of my accts have ben messed with. Credentials changed/attempt, email acct stolen(1 of 20) and I can't get it back. Wen I got to highlight and copy(con+c) verification code in email the clipboard gets hijack. It losses the info of last copy'd.

Sorry about dup simaler posting

Last edited:

editor1

Commendable
May 9, 2017
ok just set aside the probability ! I real'y just need to know what minimal should I throw away and what pattern of proses I should do to attempt to clean up undetectable attacks ?

Do I do firm wear flash first than partition(for MBR viris) than format ?

if you delete your partition(s) and reinstall (which will include a quick format), anything that might have been there....no longer is.

Was your desktop wide open to anyone that knew how to power it on? No password or anything to prevent JoeCrackUser-Homebreaker from accessing your cryptic file on the desktop labeled, "Passwordfile.txt"? :)

Secure your desktop! Use a (free for personal use) Password manager like Lastpass, and, secure your desktop with either Bitlocker (requires Windows Pro or Enterprise) or VeraCrypt, etc...

editor1

Commendable
May 9, 2017
if you delete your partition(s) and reinstall (which will include a quick format), anything that might have been there....no longer is.

Was your desktop wide open to anyone that knew how to power it on? No password or anything to prevent JoeCrackUser-Homebreaker from accessing your cryptic file on the desktop labeled, "Passwordfile.txt"? :)

Secure your desktop! Use a (free for personal use) Password manager like Lastpass, and, secure your desktop with either Bitlocker (requires Windows Pro or Enterprise) or VeraCrypt, etc...
Most common hardware keyloger is network firmwear and bios firmwear. HDD Also have a few ways to store un-id-abule data. And as far as I know The phone's and tablets cant be formated without finding the stock firmware. Witch I cant find.
FYI if you looking for a way to beary data on a Standard HDD user sectors. I would use D-ban live os. D-ban and any other formating will not chaing MBR or un-readabil sector's malwear.

Yes tower was open. Any boot os will bypass windows login screen. And I was such a noob I did not have a bios password on witch might have help prevent live boot's. And no my docs wer not encrypted and wer left open.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS