What should i do about my high temps

larrysizemore

Reputable
Aug 6, 2016
i recently upgraded my pc with 2 1080's. After the upgrade i noticed my cpu was running a bit hot and i looked into it now my idle temps are about 40c and the gpus are running around 45c each.
i have 3 140mm fans in the front of the case cooling pushing air though with the rear fan and the 2 fans on top taking air out, they are 120mm fans. I looked inot a custom loop and i just dont have the money for that right now i dont know what to do should i invest into higher quality fans that can move more air? here is a pic of the pc any suggestions are very much appreciated.
image.jpg

Solution
Think about it ...

-you have three fans blowing in and their intake is restricted by air inlet filters.
-you have three fans blowing out and they are not restricted.

So, without a doubt, more air is being blown out then is blowing in. So air will be sucked in thru any available openings, the most common, largest and least resistant of which are the rear intake grilles. You can see this clearly if ya test with a fog machine ($39 on Amazon).

So all that hot air being exhausted by your say 850 watt PSU and your two 270 watt GFX cards is being sucked right back into the case.

Remember what you learned in 8th grade earth science about hot air rising ? That lesson made no mention of fans and "forced air" ... so that's not going to...
Think about it ...

-you have three fans blowing in and their intake is restricted by air inlet filters.
-you have three fans blowing out and they are not restricted.

So, without a doubt, more air is being blown out then is blowing in. So air will be sucked in thru any available openings, the most common, largest and least resistant of which are the rear intake grilles. You can see this clearly if ya test with a fog machine ($39 on Amazon).

So all that hot air being exhausted by your say 850 watt PSU and your two 270 watt GFX cards is being sucked right back into the case.

Remember what you learned in 8th grade earth science about hot air rising ? That lesson made no mention of fans and "forced air" ... so that's not going to be in any way relevant. What is relevant in your instance is getting the air out and keeping it out.

You appear to have a Corsair 2 x 120 AIO. If you read the directions (well what do they know) you have installed it in conflict with the written directions.

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/download-files/manuals/cooling/h100iv2_qsg.pdf

Page 4, Section 3
For the best cooling performance, we recommend mounting the fans as an air-intake to your PC case.

There is a notion that I cant quite understand that make folks assume that you need to get the hot air out of your case "using fans" as if hot air can only be moved by fan blades. If you open two windows in a room and put a fan in one of them, no matter which way the fan blows, the same amount of air gets moved in and out.

If you put two fans in a case as intakes they will move the exact same amount of air as if they were exhaust. The reason Corsair wants you to use the fans as intakes is simple. ... you want to use 23C air outside the case to cool the rads or the 28C insider air ?

There is a reason that no other component other than your PSU, GFX card and CPU comes with active cooling ... cause they are the only components that actually need it in any decent build. When case fans are running in a properly designed build, the entire case volume is being switched out from 1 to 2 times per second so there's really not anything to be concerned about unless you are sucking hot exhaust air back into the case because you have a negative [pressure situation .... as is the apparent situation here.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS