Question What should i do about new WD enterprise drive issue ?

nordiccat

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
I just bought a WD enterprise ultrastar 8tb"retail" drive for $260 from a trustworthy site b&h and wd's site won't let me register it its says "either the drive is oem or the warranty is voided".
The drive was sealed in a static wd bag and in a retail box.

Even the wd site has the drive in they're system and says the warranty is good for 5yrs but it also says to make sure to register it below and then it won't register.

The good people at b&h said that they would exchange the drive.

so at that price to be having an issue

Should i take the chance on wd enterprise again or should i exchange for a different brand ?

Thanks

Edit: i opened a support ticket days ago and have received no response (including pics of receipt,box,static sleave etc.

Last edited:

nordiccat

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
I doubt it ,but anything's possible. WD's site said the warranty was good but i needed to register it for it to be valid ,but then it errors out when registering through firefox and on edge it says its either an oem drive(which its not) or the warranty has been voided(which it shouldnt be it's brand new).
It came from bhphotovideo an authorized wd dealer and looked brand new in an unopened box and sealed static bag with wd stickers.

I trust bhphotovideo and up until now wd ,but to me this appears to be a wd issue on theyre end and the fact that they are not even attempting to make it right or even contact me via email or support ticket makes me not want to deal with them in the future.
I guess i will be exchanging the drive for a Seagate Exos 10tb and hopefully be able to register the 5 yr warranty at least.

Reactions: nordiccat

nordiccat

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
Problem is solved ..Even though it was a WD drive the warranty was through HGST's site and doesn't have to be registered. I was told by WD's support to just hang on to the packaging and receipt in case of a need to use the warranty. I checked on HGST's site and it showed that the warranty was valid.

I wish WD's site would have just said this instead of error "drive is either oem or warranty is voided"

Thanks to all that tried to help and i hope this helps anyone else if they run into the same issue