[SOLVED] What should I do after getting need parts

chocomintmichael

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Hi all! I'm gonna be basically changing everything aside from my storage out and was wondering how should I go about uninstalling and installing the new drivers. I've seen people say I should do a fresh install of Windows but will I lose my files that way? All of my important files are on my D drive while my Windows is installed on the C drive.

Solution
Honestly, given your description of the problem, you're putting the cart before the horse. You ought to have backup data -- preferable multiple backups -- of your important data at all times. That you're concerned about losing data on a fresh reinstall hints that you are not doing this. Setting up a proper backup plan is more important than installing your new parts and ought to be the first thing you do under any circumstances.

chocomintmichael

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
More info needed.

Yes, you should almost certainly do a full reinstall of the OS.

What are the parts, old and new? (specifically, the drives)
What OS is this?

i5-7400 -> r7 3700x
h170 pro gaming -> b450 tomahawk max
some kind of kingston ram 4x2 2113 -> Crucial Ballistix Sports 3200 cl16 (8gb x 2)
Asus DUAL Gtx 1060 3GB -> I'm currently deciding between a RTX 2070s or RTX 2060s or 5700xt
Old PSU which I forgot the name of -> LEADEX II SUPERFLOWER 650W GOLD (5YRS)

Windows 10 Home.

Will I lose the data on my D drive if I do a full reinstall?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, given your description of the problem, you're putting the cart before the horse. You ought to have backup data -- preferable multiple backups -- of your important data at all times. That you're concerned about losing data on a fresh reinstall hints that you are not doing this. Setting up a proper backup plan is more important than installing your new parts and ought to be the first thing you do under any circumstances.

Solution